Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

PMDG 737NGX Livery Availability

Feedback welcome on the BBJs below.

Steve,

They look excellent. How about a cream or very light tan base for the fuselage on the top version instead of white (if it's possible at this point and of course if it looks appealing)?

Is that the new KPHX scenery in the background you were talking about?

Steve,

They look excellent. How about a cream or very light tan base for the fuselage on the top version instead of white (if it's possible at this point and of course if it looks appealing)?

I'll make a version like that and post a shot when I get home tonight if it looks good. I'm planning on just releasing the 3 colors posted so far. KPHX in the background is the default airport in FSX. I downloaded the demo for the new KPHX scenery from Flightbeam. It looks fantastic! Will have to pick that up in the near future. Just spent my flightsim money on more RAM for the PC, so more FSX upgrades will have to wait a little...lol.

I haven't put much back on my machine since reloading FSX on Monday. The NGX, Track IR and EZDock are all I've put back on. I can't paint without EZDock as it's ideal for moving around and checking painted areas for adjustments.

After the BBJs are done, I have Aerogal and Avianca birds in the works.

P-8A Poseidon of VP-30 is available at AVSIM.

Russ

Many may fly and some are rewarded

handsomely, but the wings of gold of a

United States Naval Aviator mean more

than flying. It is dearly bought, requires

sacrifice to keep and represents a way of life.

Steve,

Pete,

Here's a tan/brown version... :lol:

BBJ-600_BrownTest.jpg

Up close on the tan/brown version. Bottom hardware not color matched yet. If you like dirt, grease or wear and tear...these liveries won't have much except on the wings.

BBJ-600_BrownTest-2.jpg

Steve,

I like the brown and tan look, and like how you don't add too much "wear and tear" to your repaints. If you get backlash from the majority of the community and prefer to revert it back to the white base for release, no problem.

I'm enjoying the KPHX scenery from Flightbeam. The day time textures are really good, the night time textures are very realistic (flown in the NGX of course!)

Thanks for modifying the brown and tan.

Excelent repaint Marcelo!

I could say that I use every repaint that you have made!!!

Keep the good work up......and Thanks!

Saludos del sur!

Steve,

I like the brown and tan look, and like how you don't add too much "wear and tear" to your repaints. If you get backlash from the majority of the community and prefer to revert it back to the white base for release, no problem.

I'm enjoying the KPHX scenery from Flightbeam. The day time textures are really good, the night time textures are very realistic (flown in the NGX of course!)

Thanks for modifying the brown and tan.

Hi Pete,

Those other three (gray, red and blue) versions have basically a very light gray top...not white. MartyB has been test driving the dark gray BBJ for me on his system. He can probably provide some input as to the top color as well. I'm not a fan of the stark white tops anymore as FSX seems to make them too washed out. A lot of my previous paints do have the bright white tops.

The new spec/bump files I made for the BBJs does tone the top down. The top in the 1st screen shot of the tan bird looks like there is a hint of red/pink in the tan top. I'm not keen on releasing that specific tan shade and would probably adjust it more before I ever uploaded it.

My current plans are to release 3 BBJs in that pattern. I guess I'll come to a decision by tomorrow evening on which color combinations to upload. It's been a great test bed for learning the bump/spec files and how to tweak them.

Steve

Excelent repaint Marcelo!

I could say that I use every repaint that you have made!!!

Keep the good work up......and Thanks!

Saludos del sur!

Gracias!

Un placer para mí que lo disfrutes como lo hago yo haciéndolo.

Un abrazo desde Bariloche,

Marcelo

Good morning Captains.

I wanted to address some of the criticism the repainters have gotten recently regarding which liveries are being done and which are not. I can assure you that the specialty liveries aren't being neglected out of a lack of desire to do them. It's much more a matter of doing complex art in 2D that must wrap around a complex and quirky 3D model. I'm currently working on Southwest's Lone Star One, which to the outside observer may look like a simple livery, but here's what we have to deal with:

This is a flattened version of the (approximately) 200 layer deep PS paint kit shown at 10% of it's actual size:

pmdg_7377NGX_fuselage_master01.jpgpmdg_737NGX_tail01.jpg

This is what the star on my livery looks like in Photoshop:

Untitled-1.jpg

You can see how I've had to cut up the star over the various sections of the fuselage. Unfortunately, those seems don't match up precisely when it's rendered onto the model in FSX. Things tend to blur and distort when the top, sides and bottom all wrap around the model. I've worked on it quite a bit and I'm still not satisfied with the way it looks on top, and I'm still having issues at the bottom as well. As I told Steve, Lone Star WONT be my finest work because of these problems. I have concerns that I may have the same problem with Colorado One because of the large "C" at the front.

If it seems like we are neglecting more attractive planes for less desirable ones, I assure you it's because we know which ones can realistically be done within the confines of the problems we have with the model. That is not a complaint towards the NGX. It is my understanding that mapping the textures on the model is one of the most difficult parts of creating the add-on. I promise you, if Marcelo can't do it, it simply can't be done!

Try not to be too hard on your freeware repainters! We're doing the best we can do, and I think we've put out some excellent aircraft.

Chris

Chris Hicks

Guest BeaverDriver

Excellent illustration Chris! As someone who has painted a fair whack of these planes (some of these will be uploaded once I get them up to my standards), I can tell you first hand it's not easy! And, PMDG has one of the best (if not THE best) paint kits out there! Kudos to them for making this as easy (and as detailed) as possible.

I personally haven't seen any criticisms of any of the painter's work here, and I hope I don't. I'm positive that the vast majority of people here (me among them) really, really appreciate the kind of work being done by some very skilled people. But should any come up, the answer is simple. The paint kit is available to anyone. Go lay out the cash for Photoshop (and some more cash for lessons if you've never used PS because you'll be lost from the time you open the program), and download the paint kit. Then have at it. I'm sure they won't mind the (very considerable) expense in time and money (PS is "only" about $700 or so now) if they aren't happy with what's being done here in order to get it done "correctly".

Right?

Hmmnn, the silence is deafening.

Thanks Chris. An excellent post.

Outstanding paint job on the Lonestar by the by :smile:

I certainly know I would not have the patience to do all the fine work you guys do or yikes, $700 for photoshop. Thats a few hours of flight lessons right there! All the work you guys do is fantastic, thanks for sharing it with the rest of us.

Chris,

Thanks for the explanation regarding the challenges we have as painters trying to reproduce certain liveries. The NGX is a wonderful bird and I agree with Glenn's comments about the paintkit. It's one of the best out there even with some of the models having their own quirks. Most of the paintkit quirks can be easily overcome.

There are a great number of fancy liveries out there that haven't been painted yet. That black New Zealand livery is one that comes to mind. The challlenges that most requestors don't realize are the issues stated above and being able to reproduce the lettering (font style) used on the real livery, or finding logos large enough (usually better than 1200 pixels wide) to use in a 4096 X 4096 pixel template section. You always want clean sharp edges versus fuzzy or jagged ones on text and logos.

If the logos or text can't be found, then that means they have to be made from scratch. So it's not a simple task sometimes. As I politely tell a lot of the folks that send me paint requests, if I can't do their request, please keep posting it in the livery request forum as there are more new painters trying their hand at painting and someone will give it a shot.

Steve