Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

PMDG 737NGX Livery Availability

The Cathay Pacific is coming along. The color shades in the shot below are nowhere near final. You can see the warpage on the upper rear fuselage that is where I'm going to spend the most time for this livery. I'm still shooting for the end of the week for an upload timeframe.

That one is very nice Steve.

When you are finished I hope you don't mind that I study the way you solved the warping at the rear top fuselage. Maybe I will be able to finish two paints that are on hold because of the warping issue.

Ricardo De Luca

Hey Ricardo!

I was just wondering the other days if someone could make the GulfAir repaint. Hope you can finish it.

Cheers.

will the D-KPG be changed? ;)

Andy,

I just pulled the D-KPG out of the blue. Does it related to a real registration for another aircraft type? Just curious. This is a purely fictional repaint.

Any luck with this one Steve? I'm not really wanting to try all kinds of things in the core files of the liveries when I'm not sure what I am doing.

I'd understand if you're giving priority to the Cathay livery (I would do that too), but I just wondered what the best thing is to get the liveries in my own alphabetical order.

Hans,

I totally forgot about checking it last night. Let me make a note to see what determines that sorting, so I can let you know how to fix it. Will try to get to it this evening after work.

That one is very nice Steve.

When you are finished I hope you don't mind that I study the way you solved the warping at the rear top fuselage. Maybe I will be able to finish two paints that are on hold because of the warping issue.

Ricardo,

There are no simple easy steps other than determing where the warpage starts. Then just add another layer over your current one. Use the select tool to make a box or rectangle and fill it with the color you need. Then use the layer edit functions of warp, skew, etc. to adjust the sides of that layer to a starting alignment point. Save the file to the texture folder. Look at it in FSX. Take a screen shot for reference. Go back to your template and tweak the alignment of that layer based on the screenshot for reference.

It can be a painstaking trial and error process. Sometimes I try to do one side (left first) and the make a flipped copy of the layer for the right side. That can help reduce the amount of trial and error of trying to do both sides at once. I don't have the patience to spend the weeks necessary to tweak it at the pixel lever needed to be perfect and allow for evey warpage spot. If I can get it close enough to where I deem it acceptable for public upload, then I'm done. If not it doesn't get uploaded.

That's about all I can say on the subject. It's the biggest challenge to painting the liveries.

Andy,

I just pulled the D-KPG out of the blue. Does it related to a real registration for another aircraft type? Just curious. This is a purely fictional repaint.

well Cathay Pacific reg's start with "B", so, you know...

well Cathay Pacific reg's start with "B", so, you know...

Andy,

Thanks for letting me know about the registration. I usually research them before I realease a paint. The 777 pictures I'm using for reference aren't the sharpest. I thought it started with a "D". Was hard to tell zooing in. Will correct it. Thanks again! :P

Any luck with this one Steve? I'm not really wanting to try all kinds of things in the core files of the liveries when I'm not sure what I am doing.

I'd understand if you're giving priority to the Cathay livery (I would do that too), but I just wondered what the best thing is to get the liveries in my own alphabetical order.

Hans,

The order of the airlines/aircraft in each model in the Livery Manager is driven by what is typed in the "ui_variation=" entry for each texture in the aircraft.cfg file for each model. If you want to adjust one that's out of order, you will need to edit the "ui_variation=" entry (highlighted below) for the out of order livery to a naming convention that will correct the order. The entry is also the entry that drives what you see in the "Select Aircraft" list in FSX.

I edited one of my -600 BBJs below. Normally it would fall between the A's and the PMDG default livery. But as you can see it moved alphabetically due to the adjustment. I hope this answers your concern.

LiverManager.jpg

ACFT-Config.jpg

Andy,

Thanks for letting me know about the registration. I usually research them before I realease a paint. The 777 pictures I'm using for reference aren't the sharpest. I thought it started with a "D". Was hard to tell zooing in. Will correct it. Thanks again!

QUITE OK! :)

Thanks Steve. Good clarification. How does FSX itself cope with this? Because it seems that it uses another name for that, making them still appear in a strange order in the airplane selection window in FSX.

Also, does changing the files on hard drive update the livery manager directly, or should I do something afterwards?

Anyone fancies doing a fictional paint based on this Malaysia 747? I just saw it and my jaw dropped instantaneously!

Malaysia_airlines_b747-400_specialcolours_arp.jpg

Thanks Steve. Good clarification. How does FSX itself cope with this? Because it seems that it uses another name for that, making them still appear in a strange order in the airplane selection window in FSX.

Also, does changing the files on hard drive update the livery manager directly, or should I do something afterwards?

I'm pretty sure the order in the FSX aircraft selection window is based on model and then by the order the texture was installed. if you look at my aircraft.cfg file above, [fltsim.0] would be first in the FSX selection window...followed by whatever texture was loaded as [fltsim.1] and so on. so basically, if you moved the textures around in the aircraft.cfg file and made sure you adjusted their order numbers, then they should line up in the FSX selection window. Keep in mind that any new livery not manually added would automatically get the next [fltsim.x] number not used.

I'm not sure what you mean by changing the files on the hard drive and the livery manager. When I adjusted the name in the aircraft.cfg file in FSX the name also updated in the Livery Manager. That's because each time you start the Livery Manager, it will poll what aircraft are loaded in FSX and reflect those changes.

Anyone fancies doing a fictional paint based on this Malaysia 747? I just saw it and my jaw dropped instantaneously!

Malaysia_airlines_b747-400_specialcolours_arp.jpg

I don't normally volunteer to do the fancy ones, but I like that! No promises, but if I can find enough reference shots, I'll probably work on that in a -800 as the -800 would have the length of fuselage needed for all those ribbons. I might change to a -900, but I'm thinking a -800 at the moment. This would be a few weeks project.

I would love to have a 737-800 for this airline:

13496000012056.jpg

I've offered to look at painting that livery as well. Someone else is more than welcome to do that one if they have the time. The key for me will be the rear tail area and whether I can reproduce the real pattern from scratch. I didn't think about painting it for some time because I thought it was already done. I've had it on my personal "to do" list.

The Malaysia Hibiscus livery looks very nice and I want to play with the pattern and see if I can do that one as the pattern realy strikes my fancy. But as I stated...we will have to see. There only seems to be a handful of us painting NGX liveries for this thread.

I'm not stating that as a complaint. As was stated in earlier posts, there are somewhere near 900 liveries done for the NGX. I'm hoping a few more folks try their hand at painting. I guess we will have to wait and see. Once the 777 rolls out, I will probably purchase that aircraft and work on 777 liveries for a while.

I would love to have a 737-800 for this airline:

Let me try it. Give me a few weeks.

I was planning on using the weekend on painting, but other things showed up. On Saturday I will be changing the radiator on my moms car then Sunday I have lots of homework to do. I will try to do an update to California One this weekend and start on that BBJ I said I would do.