Sign in to follow this  
samdean

Transition: 2-D panels to virtual cockpit + Track IR (questions)

Hi folks, I've been a 2-D panel pilot for a long time, but I must admit the AOA videos are making me appreciate the value of the 3-D panel more and more. I feel I may have to transition over in time for the NGX. A few queries: 1. One hesitation to the transition is losing frame-rates in an already frame-hungry game. Generally, I find that frame-rates are poorer in 3-D: this is probably a hard fact, and I doubt much can be done about this, correct?2. Also, I'm also intrigued with the value TrackIR seems to add to the simulation. The movement seems to be smoother than anything that can be accomplished with a joystick. Do any of you TrackIR owners notice a further frame-rate drop when using this product? Any other affect of performance? Any and all feedback is appreciated, friends. Thanks,Sam Kharey

im trackir user and i dont see any framerate drop, just same like with joystick

There was no visual performance drop when I started using TiR.There was, however, a huge increase in immersive quality.Big Grin.gif Try it. With a little practice & tweaking you'll never go back to stationary 2d panels.

Dont mean to hijack here however I have a question as well... When using trackir, how do you move about the cockpit? In some of Nicks videos he starts in the door way and moves to the captains seat. do you just use your head to maneuver there or do you use your key board?

Dont mean to hijack here however I have a question as well... When using trackir, how do you move about the cockpit? In some of Nicks videos he starts in the door way and moves to the captains seat. do you just use your head to maneuver there or do you use your key board?
You can get some lateral movement with TiR, but it's like leaning over in your chair. Nick was using EZ Dock, which allows you to move the camera point anywhere you choose & set up custom view points. It and TiR together make a great combination.EDIT: For a better idea of the lateral movement abilities of TiR, watch this video. http://www.youtube.com/user/PMDG737NG#p/u/5/2fTPavqQdv4It was made by PMDG a while back to showcase the perfectly collimated HGS in the NGX a while back.

I'll add a bit of a gotcha to the other responses. While there's no framerate penalty with TrackIR, any lack of smooth framerates are much more apparent with it than without! For instance, if you're flying through a storm over a crowded city on approach and get that dreaded drop in frames to around 15fps or worse it may just feel a bit 'off' when doing 2D flying; with TrackIR, it can get you motion sick or at least an eye-ache or head-ache. Quick movements and pans show off lacking framerates more readily, too. Personally, anything less than 30fps for too long will make me stop using TrackIR. Just keep that in mind. Tolerance will be different for everyone, too. I'm particularly sensitive to framerates and motion in games. Also, I'll just add that flying without TrackIR is pretty much impossible for me since I've tried it!

aight stupid question here so bear with me. if you turn your head to look out the window, how can you see whats on the screen, I would assume that you need multiple monitors to get the full benefit out of this ?can someone please enlighten me. thanks

aight stupid question here so bear with me. if you turn your head to look out the window, how can you see whats on the screen, I would assume that you need multiple monitors to get the full benefit out of this ?can someone please enlighten me. thanks
Multimonitors would be better, but if you have only one, you have to use to turn your head but still look at the monitor.Anyway the movement you need to turn your head is little than in real life, so for example if you turn your head like 45 degrees in the sim you end looking behind you.

yes, all that is adjustable. If you're running a wraparound display you can make it a 1:1 movement, meaning 90deg of head movement causes 90 deg of view shift, or you can make it as sensitive as you want, doing 180's every time you sneeze. It's readily adapted to whatever monitor situation you have.EDIT: I have mine set so that 60 deg head movement is roughly 135 deg movement on-screen. That way I can look behind me (think VFR in a Cessna) while keeping my head straight enough that I can see the screens without difficulty.

When I first saw youtube videos of TrackIR I was under the impression that you were meant to wear VR glasses. Then I realised that people use it with their screens . This did put me off getting track IR. Unless you do have a wrape around screen, it won't seem like real head movment, as your eyes have to focus on the screen. You can get VR glasses. But as I understand it, they are expensive and not very high video spec, only VGA spec 800x600px. Has anybody tried these?

You have a hot key to pause TrackIR, then you can use EZdok to move about the cockpit or focus your vision on a spot (Like the FMC or PFD) by setting up the views in the control panel of EZdok.
One monitor works fine with TrackIR. The amount that you move your head is not a one to one ratio. You can set it up to move your head a small amout and be looking out the side window or up at the overhead panel. That way your eyes are still focused on the moniter.I have used TrackIR for years and just use one 27" monitor, and have never been tempted to use multi-monitors. Bob

When I first saw youtube videos of TrackIR I was under the impression that you were meant to wear VR glasses. Then I realised that people use it with their screens . This did put me off getting track IR. Unless you do have a wrape around screen, it won't seem like real head movment, as your eyes have to focus on the screen. You can get VR glasses. But as I understand it, they are expensive and not very high video spec, only VGA spec 800x600px. Has anybody tried these?
This video should answer your questions:
Cheers Chidi

PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Chidiebere Anyahara

I have always been so interested into these, and my only worry is if it's bad for ones eyes.