Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Mesaba OOPS

Guest RiddlePilot

Just saw on Fox News that a NWA BAe146's (operated by Mesaba) brakes failed and ran into the jetway and caught fire at MSP. WHOA!

Guest tallpilot

As Joe Friday would say on Dragnet the TV show "Just the facts mam"It was at Memphis,Tn not Minneapolis,Mn.It was two mechanics taxiing back to the gate after doing some checks on the airplane.It ran into the jetbridge and spilled about 60 gal of jet fuel but did not catch on fire.The concourse was evacuated because of the danger of the spilled fuel but no 0ne was injured.

Guest RiddlePilot

Just quoting the trusty news reporters. Guess I should have learned my lesson after the 11th when they were saying it was an Airbus 767 that hit the towers.

Guest tallpilot

Yep, the only thing the news media knows less about than human feelings, is aviation.

I was the victim of a groundcrew "oops" which I laugh about today, but it gave me pause when it happened.I had just flown into Jackson Hole towards the end of '99. Our flight was almost empty. Perhaps 20-30 people on the aircraft, so I camped out in the back of the plane, taking up the last ten rows of seats and enjoying the mountain views on the flight up from Denver. When we landed, I took my time getting off, and was the last passenger on the aircraft.I walked forward about three rows of seats and.... "BOOM!!!!"... I tumbled into a row of seats as if hit by Mike Tyson. I wasn't hurt, and took a peek out of the side of the aircraft the "boom" came from. I'll never forget what I saw....an open mouthed baggage cart attendent who hit the accelerator, instead of the brake. I then discreetly got off the aircraft, and went to wait for my business partner, who was coming in on another flight. That's when the fun really began...All the outgoing passengers were told that there was a "delay". This went on for 30-40 minutes, then they were told their flight was cancelled. I waited nearby, listening to the heated exchanges (and knowing what the passengers weren't being told). When the mess cleared, I walked over to the desk and told them I was on the flight, and tried to provide some levity by suggesting they keep a "spare" jet for such incidents. I ended up chatting with the staff there for the next twenty minutes while waiting for my partner. The flight was eventually ferried back to Denver, with both pilots on oxygen over concerns for the integrity of the aircraft.A week later, when I was flying home, I recognized the agent at the gate, so I walked up rubbing my neck, and said "about that accident....." She said a few choice words as she recognized me, and we both had a good chuckle. It could have been worse, and thank God it wasn't.... I was impressed by the cool heads of the staff....-John