Sign in to follow this  
steve inwood

What Joystick Will You Be using for the 737 NGX

AND, as most of the yokes have no force feedback but only centering spring, a FF joystick, with correct software, is more realistic than a yoke without it...
Actually, according to "The Boeing 737 Technical Guide", the real 737 uses springs for aileron "feel" as well! So, in that respect, a yoke without FF is definitely more realistic than a joystick with FF...Anyway, I have CH Pro yoke and pedals, Saitek TQs, and an older TrackIR, that I still need to hook up to my FS PC.

Actually, according to "The Boeing 737 Technical Guide", the real 737 uses springs for aileron "feel" as well! So, in that respect, a yoke without FF is definitely more realistic than a joystick with FF...Anyway, I have CH Pro yoke and pedals, Saitek TQs, and an older TrackIR, that I still need to hook up to my FS PC.
Maybe you must read more...Springs are used for centering and feel, but the centering (and forces) are variable, that is a feature that your yoke doesn't have...Please read more about the 737...

Regards

Andrea Daviero

PS: you will understand it when you find the aileron trim indication... All the trims in the 737 have their own indicators in cockpit, you will find easily the pitch trim (stab), the rudder trim, and there is also an aileron trim... trim indications that with your spring loaded controller will not change if not simulated in other (unreal) ways by PMDG.immaginebbb.jpg

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Ahh, thanks for the clarification! From what I read in the book, it appeared to me as if only the elevator feel was dynamic...[edit] So, if I understand correctly, you DO feel when the ailerons are not trimmed properly, because you have to "fight" against the springs, but when they are, the feel for banking is provided by the centering springs? Wouldn't this be similar to how my yoke works?(I really would like to understand, not trying to win an argument)

The centering spring (that provides also the feel forces) acts like on your yoke, with a difference, by trimming the aircraft you move this center to the left or right (wheel), forward or aft (for column) and for elevator the force required to move the column varies with speed. There is also another thing that changes the center of the control column that is the mach trim.Forces can be simulated only with a force feedback controller (no mach trim avaiable from pmdg) but with a normal yoke te centering will be 99% of time out of the correct position, at least for the elevator, for the aileron, if you don't use the trim, the centering is fine.Forces for forcefeedback devices are provided by the usage of FSforce program, te only one I know able to simulate trim system (expecially for GA, for the 737 needs improvements) but you will feel the force variation you have at higher speeds, other than the vibrations and so on...A page ago I posted the perfect controller for 737 fligt sim (don't know if software is compatiible).It is a force feedback yoke with a software able to move the wheel when autopilot is engaged (like on the real), if it works correctly also for the oter forces, it is the perfect solution (that costs too much). Another solution could be to self build our own controller, tere are some on youtube, I prefer my joy :)

Regards

Andrea Daviero

I still have an MS Force Feedback 2 joystick lying around somewhere, gathering dust, but haven't been brave enough to take it apart, to see if it can be integrated into the CH yoke somehow... The FF yoke you mentioned is pretty cool, but the yoke itself looks even less like a 737 one than the one on my CH Pro. And exchanging it for a realistic one would make it even more expensive! Shocked.gifI guess I'll give the FF2 with FSforce a try one of these days, despite its "Airbusness"...And I'll check out Youtube for info on building a FF device -- thanks for the tip!

If you need then an NGX setting for FSforce, just tell me ;) I posted already on the forum, but if needed I can post it again.Yes, the yoke I mentioned is not nice to see, not a real aspect, but it moves like it is supposed to do, by playing with its components and the software you can do a real 737 column.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

I wouldn't mind an FSForce profile for the NGX please!

Take a look here:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/352010-fs-force-2-and-sidewinder-ff2/page__p__2144624__hl__fsforce__fromsearch__1#entry2144624I added centering forces also on ground, the trimming function is still FSforce, but I advice you to use FS trim as the 737 as other liners need a great trim capability that is done only by a stabilizer. I'm in contact with FSforce developers, hoping they will add a "stab trim" feature that let us use both trimming functions at the same time.As you see, aileron has no changes in the forces except for trimming that changes the center, the elevator has its forces increased by speed.In the topic there is also the stall buffeting setting that in my tests was close to the stall speeds.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

MS force feeback two. with the add on FS force2
That's my stuff too, plus CH Throttle and CH pedals. It's a pity that this yoke is not in production anymore.Gregor Gresiaczynski