Sign in to follow this  

FA-18F's crash off California coast.

Saw on Yahoo that two Superhornet F models were missing in an apparent air mishap of some kind. The F is a two seat variant, I think the Marines use(?) I didnt know these were operational yet..anybody know when the Superhornet went into active front line service duty?Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Not sure when, but there is atleast 1 squadron deployed aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln in support of enduring freedom.

Only the Navy is using the E/Fs. The Marines are holding out for the JSF. There are several units which have already converted or are in the processs of converting over from the F18s and F14s. VFA-115 has already deployed with Es aboard the Lincoln. VFAs 14, 41 and 102 are the other E/F fleet units converting. The FRS is VFA-122 and has been flying them for a while. All are based at Lemoore.

Hmmm. I could've sworn the Marines were going to use the F only for night attack and Weasel duty. JSF will be a few years. You'd think they'd want new planes sooner.Eric

Nope, that was what they said about the Ds ten years ago. I'm sure they do want airplanes sooner. But as usual, the Marines will have to make do with what they've got for a few more years. The JSF will replace the Harriers and either the STOVL or carrier version of it will replace the F18s. Although an improved targeting pod is entering service, the E/F really does not have any special night attack or SEAD capability over and above what the C/Ds already have.

The E/F was supposed to be stealthier and carrier a bigger load. (Not Stealth airplane, just lower radar CS.) Anyway, thanks for the info.Eric