Sign in to follow this  
Timeerror

2D panel only widescreen? - thats not true or?

I have bought the pmdg and now noticed that the 2d panel is only for widescreen monitors. is that true? I would like to fly with a 2d panel but i dont have such a monitor. please fix this issue as soon as possible and forward a normal screen panel to all users. I am really angry because this was not mentioned anywhere. A widescreen monitor is something special and therefore - in my opinion - this has to be mentioned before buying the airplane best reagrds Markus

Looks like you can circumvent the problem by switching to the external view once and displaying the 2d panel there. After that, the distortion is done - at least on my 5:4. RegardsJörn

As I understand it the 4:3 panel has not been implemented yet but it is coming.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

It is a nightmare, 4:3 panel is not included. PMDG said that they "consider a 4:3 panel in future" This is not a clear answer. I just want to know, wether we will get a 4:3 panel or not

A real shame, I read about that in another thread already. Glad to not have purchased the NGX yet! So, the iFly bird keeps being my 737 of choice for now... Unfortunately, I guess there are already more widescreens in use than traditional 4:3 displays. But even widescreens have different aspect ratios (usually 16:9 or 16:10). The difference might be small, but there is a difference after all, so I wonder for what displays all those widescreen panels are really designed for... Some "pixel hunters" might detect the small difference in size, so PMDG would have to include a switch for at least those both widescreen types... and when they're at it, they could make a decent 4:3 panel as well ;-) I only hope that we get a 4:3 panel at some point in the future (and I can then buy that masterpiece)... The only acceptable widescreen size for me would be one with 1200 pixels in vertical direction...

Would PMDG please post an announcement as to whether or not they intend to produce a 2D panel for 4:3 monitors, and if so, when? I was about to buy this product when I fortunately noticed the requirement for widescreens. I will not buy this product until a 2D panel for 4:3 monitors is available.

Well, the NGX doesnt have a full set of 2d panels either (it doesnt have the throttle quadrant in 2d for example). PMDG have stated that they hate 2d (basically true) and 2d users( not entirely true :() and I seriously doubt that they will be adding any sort of 2d panels other than what is already in the package. If youre a 2d user you might want to look at other planes before you have a look at the NGX

I never use the 2d panel now after the ngx came out. No need too.

Rich Sennett

Well, you should be happy and laughing out loud with the widescreen panels. VC is the future (or present for some vpilots). You'd better get used to that. PMDG have announced they will NOT include a full set of 2D panels in future releases (and that includes the Dash-8 and 777), maybe only the CDU, undockable DUs, radio panel and a few others, but no throuttle quadrant (as they have done with the NGX), no overhead panel, no center pedestal panel and no 2D forward panel. There are many other develpers out there who left the 2D panels behind a long time ago. I got used to the VC and use it in all my planes. Sometimes I get a bad performance in the NGX (and that's because of my hardware) and switch to the 2D. I have no problems with it's not fitting my 4:3 screen. I mean, it would be nice to have a 4:3 2D panel, but I'm not "outraged" because of the absence of it. If PMDG decides not to design them for future service packs, I can pretty much live with that.

Matheus Mafra

That didnt take long for the VC fans to jump in and post totally off topic again, give it a rest guys, some of us LIKE 2D.

Jay

Actually, it's getting quite difficult to even buy a 4:3 ratio monitor any longer, at least in the United States. I have a few LCD 15" monitors left, but once they die, I won't be able to replace them.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

VC fans, you already have what you want. What does it take away from you if PMDG decides to provide 2D panels for those who prefer them? So please SUPPORT our demand for 2Ds in 4:3, or at least do not shoot it down.PMDG, comments such as Sekstifire's will surely not help you get more business.

BTW, I'm not a "VC fan". I actually understand your need for a decent 2D cockpit. I used to be one of you until a couple of months ago. I still find the 2D panels useful. Sometimes I just don't want to move my viewpiont in FSX or I just want to do things quickly, then I pop the 2Ds up. They're quite useful at times. The thing is that I just learned how to deal with the VC. I've bought some planes latelly (specially some GA ones) and they simply don't have a full set of panels, no 2D 'flight deck', just some smaller windows for things like the radio panel, and sometimes there are no 2D at all. I'm not tring to convince you the VC is better than 2D cockpits, but that's what the future is. Even though I fly more in the VC now, I like to have decent 2Ds at my disposal. As I said, they are useful, but I accepted the fact that developers are moving away from them. Not every developer, but a considerable amount of them. Computers are getting even faster and the development tools available today allow for building much richer simulations. Years ago we had 2D cockpits because the VCs were horrible. Look at the 737 for FS9 from PMDG, for instance. Who'd say they felt that was a nice and realistic flight deck to be in??? Nobody! That's why we had 2Ds. They were pretty much the only option and because of that, developers invested much more effort into bidimensional flight decks than in tridimensional ones. Some products didn't even had a VC at all. Look at the Virtual Cockpit of the NGX today. It's a whole different ball game. What a increasing number of virtual pilots want to see are nice, realistic and well built virtual cokpits, and for this reason, developers and now investing more effort into tridimensional flight decks instead of bidimentional ones. I think that's the point I wanted to make. If you agree with me or not, it's up to you. But just open you eyes. If you still prefer the 2Ds, I'm sorry to say you'll have a decreasing number of addons available to you. VCs are hard to get used to, but give them a chance to show why they're there for. Make the effort. You may discover a diferent side of it. If you really tried and put efford into that, but concluded that you simply are not confortable with VCs, then you have your opinion based on actual experiences. You can say you tried and tried, but it's not for you. It's okay then. But if you never tried, just go for it. That's what I did in the past and that's why I'm on the VC side today. Just a final note: if PMDG decides to make 2Ds for 4:3 screens, great! I'd be happy with that. I actually remeber Ryan saying something about having 4:3 panels in SP1 or in another future update. But if they don't...

Matheus Mafra

Tks Barfra, but we dont need another 'sell' on VC's. We know how to use them and we know all the 'selling' points, but we PREFER 2D. Still beats me why people keep trying to convice us otherwise.

Jay