Sign in to follow this  
niyoko

Can a Lower Resolution Hurt Performance?

I'm playing on a 20" LCD with a native resolution of 1360x768. My video card is a nVidia GT460 with 768MB or memory. Do GPUs have optimal resolutions that they run at? I'm just wondering if anything under that optimum resolution will stop increasing FPS and start hurting FPS in FSX? What has sparked this thought is that the new PMDG 737 NGX recommends a 1080p resolution, but mine is under this. My first thought is that my lower resolution will just limit my viewing ability and not my performance. I run FSX at my native resolution, but use the higher res. textures. I'm wondering if this is actually hurting me and not helping me. Maybe time for a higher resolution monitor?

You should run both Windows and FSX at the native resolution of your monitor for best performance and best visual quality. A higher resolution monitor will give you a more detailed picture, but will likely deliver less performance in FSXbecause more pixels have to be displayed.

Bert

You should run both Windows and FSX at the native resolution of your monitor for best performance and best visual quality. A higher resolution monitor will give you a more detailed picture, but will likely deliver less performance in FSXbecause more pixels have to be displayed.
Ok, so I wouldn't be seeing lower performance just because I'm running at a lower resolution. Thanks I was hoping to be some thought on that. :)