Sign in to follow this  
rcbarend

Problem reading FSX DVDs on Windows7-64bit system

Hi, Since I don't have a clue if my problem is HW/SW related: appologies if it's the wrong forum. I recently bought a new PC (I-core5 2500, 8 Gbyte, GTX560TI, 2 LG DVD multidrives) with Window7 Prof, and installed FSX on it from scratch (from the original FSX-deluxe DVDs).Installing via Autoplay went fine, and after installing the various SP's and tweaks FSX runs great. Now, I'm trying to install the SDK from DVD-1.When it insert DVD-1, and open it with Explorer, the DVD player goes wild (continuously reading the DVD, progressing green bar in the address line of Explorer). Left it reading for 10 min: no change.As if it couldn't read the DVD (but Explorer doesn't hang).Tried it a dozen times; always the same result. Of course I suspected the DVDs (same problem with DVD-2); funny though, since Installation of FSX via AUtoplay went fine.What I did then:- Tried it on the other DVD drive: same problem.- Tried the same on my old XP PC; no problem browsing the DVDs- Tried it on 2 other XP PC: no problems as well.- Tried it on a WIndows7-64bit laptop of a friend: same problem again. - On my XP PC, I made a copy of the DVDs on DVD-RW discs and tried it with these copied DVDs: same results as above. Any clues ?? Thanks, Rob

I have exactly the same problem and found that it was due to W7 updates KB978601 and KB979309 which I uninstalled. However, after installing SP1, the problem has reappeared. The problem only occurs on the FSX (UDF formatted) disks but I can explore them with FreeCommander on W7 and across the network from my XP machine. Try copying the disks to a hard drive and see whether you can install from there. George

I have exactly the same problem and found that it was due to W7 updates KB978601 and KB979309 which I uninstalled. However, after installing SP1, the problem has reappeared. The problem only occurs on the FSX (UDF formatted) disks but I can explore them with FreeCommander on W7 and across the network from my XP machine. Try copying the disks to a hard drive and see whether you can install from there. George
Hi George, I did some further experiments and I know what causes the problem (I have SP1 too): the hugh .cab files on the FSX DVDs . sad.png For some obscure reason, W7 opens/inspects ALL .cab files in the folder you open with Explorer.Which takes ages when reading from a DVD.And I don't have a clue how to switch that off. What I did:I have my two PCs (XP and W7) connected in a network, with a shared folder "X" on my XP-PC.Now:- On my XP PC, I copied the contents of FSX-DVD2 to folder "X", using Explorer.- On my W7 PC, I browsed this folder "X" with Explorer. Took about 2 min. for a full folder listing.Ie. same problem as when reading from DVD, only faster (because of the network being faster then my DVD drive)- I then copied the folder "X" to my local HD on the W7-PC, and browsed that local folder, which took about 15 sec. before ready. Again, same problem, only much faster,- I now burned a DVD from that local folder. Went OK.- I read the new DVD on my W7-PC: same problem again,- Next, in the local folder, I renamed ALL .cab files with a non-registered extension .rob, and burned a new DVD.- Read that DVD: PROBLEM GONE. Hence my conclusion that the reading problem is caused by W7 inspecting each and every .cab file.Probably, if I let the original DVD reading for 15 min or so, maybe it DOES finish reading. I haven't tried. In conclusion: I can work around the problem now (by installing the SDK from my HD). However, if there's no way to change this behaviour in W7 (I've tried every option in DisplayOptions of Explorer, I wouldn't know where to look otherwise), I find that rather clumsy. Would even call this a "bug" ...unsure.png Rob

Hi Rob, We seem to be in a minority, others I know have no problem. I tried to find an answer on Microsoft Answers but got nowhere. George

Hi Rob, We seem to be in a minority, others I know have no problem. I tried to find an answer on Microsoft Answers but got nowhere. George
Hi George, Don't know about "minorities", but after I found this out, I tried reading the original FSX-DVD on two other PCs (from neighbors), also use W7-64 bit SP1.And guess what: exactly the same reading problem that I have !! So I wonder what the "others you know" have different in their setup then we do. Best, Rob

Just try booting Windows in safe mode and you will probably find it will works fine.

Cheers, Andy.

Thanks for the reply, FreeCommander seems like it should do the trick.Thanks againRick S.