Sign in to follow this  
drewsaw2

New build troubleshoot

HEy guys, Finally finished my first ever build yesterday with the help of a few good youtube tutorials. But when it was time to install the drivers, thats where the tutorials failed me and I'm worried I didn't do that part right. I managed to install the LAN driver, connect to the internet, and download my video card drivers from Asus's website. The 3 files were in zip format but when I tried to install the first one a message came up saying it couldn't find a certain DLL, and therefore couldn't install. The second and third files also could not install either for different reasons. So I just popped the cd for my video card in and installed them that way. After rebooting my computer the screen resolution looked better, but when I installed fsx the graphics were terrible. So I dropped in on Friday Harbor with the beaver to see how it performed and I was getting a slide show. The instrument panel was barely readable and it was stuttering big time. the frame count looked like this: 65-40-6-43-12-64-53-20 I'm running the i5 2500k with an Asus gtx560 TI. Any ideas?

CPU: i7-9700KF stable @ 5.0GHz | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti @ stock | RAM: G. Skill Trident Z 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz | PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus | COOLING: Deepcool Castle 240 AIO | PANEL: 27" @ 1080p

Thanks for those I did everything, I have all the drivers installed now (I believe) but I'm still having problems The fps are not the issue, Its locked at 50 unless i turn on the rain. The issue is the stuttering and shimmering and poor resolution. Its ridiculous. My old geforce 310 shows this card up. Its basically unplayable until I can find a fix. Maybe I should move this over to the GPU forum.

CPU: i7-9700KF stable @ 5.0GHz | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti @ stock | RAM: G. Skill Trident Z 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz | PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus | COOLING: Deepcool Castle 240 AIO | PANEL: 27" @ 1080p

Guest PFL

Yep, do that, something is def. wrong here..

Do you have FSX installed on its own drive? If FSX is installed on a mechanical HD did you defrag as instructed in NickN's guide that PFL posted a link to? If your OS is on a mechanical HD did you defrag that? Did you setup NvidiaInspector as instructed in NickN's guide? What Nvidia drivers are you using, people have reported problems in FSX with any drivers above 270.61 WHQL.

Do you have FSX installed on its own drive? If FSX is installed on a mechanical HD did you defrag as instructed in NickN's guide that PFL posted a link to? If your OS is on a mechanical HD did you defrag that? Did you setup NvidiaInspector as instructed in NickN's guide? What Nvidia drivers are you using, people have reported problems in FSX with any drivers above 270.61 WHQL.
No I don't have FSX installed on its own drive. Only could afford one at the moment Today I reinstalled FSX. I defraged and started it up and it was pretty smooth locked at 60. After installing SP1 and SP2 and performing another defrag the stutters appeared again. Its stuttering pretty bad. I'm also getting black lines and patches that flash on the screen while flying. I have driver 290 installed and I've done some of the recommended tweaks but nothing is helping the stutters. I've tried frames locked and frames unlimited with no difference. I set up NvidiaInspector with NickN's guide as its been stated and it has helped with AA a little bit, but not the texture problem I'm having

There is not a 290 driver, do you mean 280.19? I know that it is a pain, but uninstall FSX completely again. After you uninstall it delete any FSX related folders and files that are left on the PC and then reboot. This includes deleting all fsx.cfg files scenery.cfg files and anything else that might be left over. After that follow this install procedure, read the whole thing, the correct procedure to follow depends on if you have Acceleration or not. This procedure is not mine it is from a post of NickN's over at simforums. Also what defrag program are you using? To defrag correctly for FSX you really need to use O&O and do a name defrag. The thing about Nick's guide(s) is that he states you can not pick and choose what you want to do, you need to do the whole thing and do it in the order stated in the guide. If you are defragging with some other program and not doing a name defrag then that maybe part of your problem. Install FSX per the below and do not defrag until you have everything installed, go for a test flight and see how FSX runs, then defrag so you can see if the defrag makes it better, worse or no difference.

FSX INSTALLATION

It is VERY important that you heed this install method. You can not install FSX patches back to back without first booting FSX and its default flight, then close the sim, reboot the computer and install the next patch.

To install FSX from the DVD and not follow this list may result in performace issues, scenery issues and errors

NOTE: If you are not having any problems with FSX you can not seem to lock down and did not follow the correct method of install you do not need to reinstall FSX however DO keep this list in mind should you ever find yourself in a position where you are reinstalling the software and use it.

1. Install form the DVD, fire up the sim and let it complete the install and then boot the default flight.2. Close the simIf you have the Deluxe version and want the SDK installed, install it off the DVD now.3. Reboot the computer4. Install Acceleration which will install SP2 automatically. Boot the sim and allow it to complete the install and boot the default flight.5. Close the simIf you want the Acceleration SDK install it from the disk.6. Reboot the computerMake sure you have the latest DirectX UPDATE installed.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=enMake sure you have the C++ library update installed.http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB961894/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=2067You want to download and install: ENU (vcredist_x86.exe) NOTE: Or the one which is right for your OS language ENU= ENGLISHThe C++ Library update is needed for some 3rd party support and is installed with Acceleration. The link above is to the LATEST update which did not ship with AccelI suggest you install the update regardless of what version of FSX you run to be sure you are covered as you may add items to your sim over time. It will NOT change performance

You can activate FSX at anytime8. Start the sim, set up the sliders/checkboxes as you had them. Close the sim9. Install your addons one at a time, reboot in between and make sure you have the updates for them.DO NOT MIGRATE or use a old FSX.cfg file!

Use it to copy/paste edits but do not overwrite the new file.

Acceleration takes care of both SP1 and SP2 in one shotIf installing for a 'non' Acceleration with SP2 its the same process except:

After you complete STEP 1, 2 and 3 above, replace STEP 4 with:

Install SP1, boot the sim default flight, close and reboot the computer

Install SP2, boot the sim default flight, close and reboot the computer

Yes sorry, 280.19 haha. I was doing that by memory I'm using smart defrag 2. I'll try doing it again with O&O after I reintsall following those directions and report back thannks

Guest PFL

drewsaw2: What HHD do you have? Where did you install FSX? Program folder is no good, better make a folder on the root named "Flight Simulator X" and install it there.. What about overclock? You will have to overclock that CPU, or you won´t have OK performance. Don´t use anything else than O&O defrag as per Nick´s instructions.. The old version 12 is good enough. You need to follow his guide to the letter, totally and completely, don´t skip anything!

I'm using a Seagate Barracuda Green ST1000DL002 1TB 5900 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Bare Drive. Installed into Program Files (x86) Flight simulator x I haven't oc yet. Trying to get a handle on the stutters. These stutters arn't normal for 3.7 ghz. I was smooth on my 2.6 laptop. reinstalled usimg nicks directions. I did every single step and didn't miss a thing. Stutters were bad again on initial boot. after defragging with O&O stutters are now worse then ever >: (

Something is messed up, you should not have this much trouble. You need to install it to a folder other than Program Files (x86). Make a folder called C:/FSX or something to your liking and install it there. Download the Nvidia 270.61 WHQL drivers from www.guru3d.com and try those, use the clean install option. Uninstall FSX again and install to a new folder. After you uninstall download CCleaner and clean your registry, do this after you have uninstalled FSX and deleted any leftover FSX programs and files. CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner When you defragged with O&O did you do it per Nick's specific instructions for O&O? http://www.simforums.com/Forums/topic34141_post198187.html#198187 It should take longer than 2.5 hours to uninstall FSX, reinstall FSX and then defrag per Nick's specific defrag instructions, especially since your OS and FSX is on the same drive. Are you on Win7 64b or Win7 32b? If you installed 32b you really need to start from scratch reinstall Windows 7 and use the 64b version. At this point in time it maybe a good idea to just start from scratch anyway with a complete fresh Win7 64b installation.

Something is messed up, you should not have this much trouble. You need to install it to a folder other than Program Files (x86). Make a folder called C:/FSX or something to your liking and install it there. Download the Nvidia 270.61 WHQL drivers from www.guru3d.com and try those, use the clean install option. Uninstall FSX again and install to a new folder. After you uninstall download CCleaner and clean your registry, do this after you have uninstalled FSX and deleted any leftover FSX programs and files. CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner When you defragged with O&O did you do it per Nick's specific instructions for O&O? http://www.simforums...187.html#198187 It should take longer than 2.5 hours to uninstall FSX, reinstall FSX and then defrag per Nick's specific defrag instructions, especially since your OS and FSX is on the same drive. Are you on Win7 64b or Win7 32b? If you installed 32b you really need to start from scratch reinstall Windows 7 and use the 64b version. At this point in time it maybe a good idea to just start from scratch anyway with a complete fresh Win7 64b installation.
Ok, I'll give it another go. I did install ccleaner already because I've been using it for a while and couldnt live without it. I'm using 64b. Do you think it would be a good idea to install that again? Is there a proper way to do that? Also, could this be a hardware problem? Maybe a bad drive or something? I did think it was kind of weird that my PCI cables provided by my PSU were on the same cord instead of two seperate ones

1. Install form the DVD, fire up the sim and let it complete the install and then boot the default flight.

When it says boot the default flight, does that mean go flying, or just boot up the free flight screen?

It means boot all the way into the flight so that the ultralight is flying over Friday Harbor. Something is not right. The first thing that I would do at this time is do a complete fresh install of Win7 64b. After Win7 is installed and you are satisfied it is running okay then reboot and install FSX. Use the FSX installation guide that I posted above. After you get FSX installed test it and see if it is okay. Then install SP1 and test to see if it is okay then install SP2 and test. When you are satisfied FSX is okay then follow this setup guide to the letter, do not skip anything.http://www.simforums.com/Forums/topic34141_post198187.html#198187 Once you are though with the above and have followed all directions to the letter if FSX is still stuttering then we will need to start thinking about hardware. For starters list all of your hardware specs like I do in my signature so we can see what we are dealing with. We do not know what HD and PSU you have or what case you have. Also we could use the part number of your ram.

It means boot all the way into the flight so that the ultralight is flying over Friday Harbor. Something is not right. The first thing that I would do at this time is do a complete fresh install of Win7 64b. After Win7 is installed and you are satisfied it is running okay then reboot and install FSX. Use the FSX installation guide that I posted above. After you get FSX installed test it and see if it is okay. Then install SP1 and test to see if it is okay then install SP2 and test. When you are satisfied FSX is okay then follow this setup guide to the letter, do not skip anything.http://www.simforums...187.html#198187 Once you are though with the above and have followed all directions to the letter if FSX is still stuttering then we will need to start thinking about hardware. For starters list all of your hardware specs like I do in my signature so we can see what we are dealing with. We do not know what HD and PSU you have or what case you have. Also we could use the part number of your ram.
OK I'll give it a shot. I agree something is not right. Stay with me on this one. Check back, I'll post the result

OK I'll give it a shot. I agree something is not right. Stay with me on this one. Check back, I'll post the result
I wanted to add that for drivers your motherboard should have come with a CD that has all the drivers on it you need for your motherboard. Your motherboard manual should have a section that explains how to install the drivers and you should install all driver sets that are on your CD. If you monitor came with a setup CD run that so it can download any drivers for your monitor. For your GPU try the 270.61 drivers first, you can download them from guru3dhttp://downloads.guru3d.com/ForceWare-270.61-Win-7-Vista-64-bit-WHQL-download-2705.html