Sign in to follow this  
realpilotsimpilot

weird performance lags on good system

A little help or suggestions please: My NGX has an odd performance issue: it "hiccups" a lot. Meaning, it will be working fine, and the sim will freeze for a second or two and then continue. It isn't a stutter, per se, as the screen doesn't advance, it is like it pauses momentarily and then keeps going. This is the only aircraft I has that does this. I have all the usual fixes, and I can run the J41 without stutter and pretty well maxed sliders. I took the sliders down to "low" and the problem persists. My specs, although I don't think this is the issue are: i7-920 at 3.86GB ramWindows 7 64GTX 260 card (I know the card might be a weak point, but I don't think that's the issue).Win 7 and FSX are on separate drives, both SSD. The way it stops, it is almost like it is searching for something like a file or a line of code. But, it can't be a search issue given the drives. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. And, yes, I read the manual and played around with the settings in the FMC. Thanks in advance.

I have the same processor system and am seeing the same problem. I've tweaked my fsx.cfg quite a bit to be able to run the j41 and md11 smoothly, but the NGX will "hang" for upto 20 seconds periodically.

guys, i dont have the 737 ngx so i cant see if this work on it. set the Antipop up to 10 first and to 15 if doesnt work inside your fsx.cfg. let me know if it works

Forgive me if you already knew the info below, difficult to tell from person to person what their experience level is. Anyway, just trying to help. I run an i-930, and a friend of mine runes the i-920. I run ATI, while the guy with the i-920m has run both ATI and NVIDA (at different times of course). This MIGHT be an issue between the processor core speed and the GPU core speed (while I don't have it, there is a good web site that speaks about this in detail - Google is your friend there). I know this might sound a little strange, but try unclocking your processor and/or GPU, and if you haven't done this yet then add the tweaks below to your FSX config file. Also, use NVIDA inspector (or whatever the latest version is called) paying close attention to antialiasing settings required for FSX. HIGHMEMFIX=1STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=2147483647TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400TextureMaxLoad=9SOUND_QUALITY=1SOUND_LOD=0UsePools=0PoolSize=85000000TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 and possibly: [JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=n[Main]DisablePreload=1 It's important to start with no overclocking, apply the tweaks, and then increase your overclocking but only if you really need to. Overclocking can actually create lag with FSX (I realize that doesn't make sense, until you look at the architecture of the CPU and GPU as they work together). Hope this helps. Dave

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Hi Doug, A couple of things to try: 1) Check to see how defragmented your hard drive is - if required then defrag the drive. 2) See if FSUIPC autosave is on - turn it off. Cheers,

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Armen: I do periodic performance optimization on my 6 drives, so that is the issue. But, turning off Autosave did work. Oh well, I liked Autosave.

I have found with FSX I need to put a maximum frame rate limit in order to get smooth play. I set my max frame rate at 20. I'm running an i7@4.2 with a 5870 and 5x1p 24" monitors.The sim runs surprisingly smooth. Regards Dash Rogers

Armen: I do periodic performance optimization on my 6 drives, so that is the issue. But, turning off Autosave did work. Oh well, I liked Autosave.
Just set autosave for recording every 5 or 10 mins and it will still be ok. I found out that just the every minute autosave is the problem

Hey, I have the same problem over here. Every minute I have a sudden freeze. Example:

The .cfg file is allready tweaked and I dont have FSUIPC. External framelimiter is not working on w7 64bit. I would really like to know how to fix this freezing stuff. Regards, Wesley den Hartogh

Wesley, You checked your hard drive for fragmentation ? Thanks,

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

guys, i dont have the 737 ngx so i cant see if this work on it. set the Antipop up to 10 first and to 15 if doesnt work inside your fsx.cfg. let me know if it works
What does FSDT's Antipop up setting have to do with the NGX? The Antipop is only for their products and shouldn't have any effect on the NGX when you're flying outside of an FSDT airport. Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Wesley, You checked your hard drive for fragmentation ? Thanks,
I have an SSD drive. And defragmention on the SSD drive is not a good idea. Regards, Wesley den Hartogh