Sign in to follow this  
ajpongress

HGS ceases EFIS control panel knob/switch functionality

I had reported this in a ticket but it was closed because it couldn't be reproduced.Well, I reproduced it and re-opened the ticket but figured I would post here too. I have pretty screenshots to show off my cockpit! (and display the bug...) ngx_bug02.pngngx_bug03.pngngx_bug04.png

Nice job mate and thanks for reporting.

This is a known compromise design decision. See page 105 of the Introduction Manual. "You cannot click “through” the combiner glass. In order to click on something that is located behind the combiner, it is necessary to retract the glass momentarily when accessing the switches located behind the glass. To make this easy, we have created an easy-to-use click spot to move the combiner quickly and easily. The click spot is located on the left post of the forward captain’s window."

This is a known compromise design decision. See page 105 of the Introduction Manual. "You cannot click “through” the combiner glass. In order to click on something that is located behind the combiner, it is necessary to retract the glass momentarily when accessing the switches located behind the glass. To make this easy, we have created an easy-to-use click spot to move the combiner quickly and easily. The click spot is located on the left post of the forward captain’s window."
I didn't try to click through the glass.Page 105 says nothing about the labels disappearing from the EFIS control panel, or losing functionality of the VOR1 switch and the MINS knob when the HGS is lowered. Please look at the screenshots I posted again.

I think I get why this is happening, but I don't think it was designed or intended. Users without TrackIR can't move their viewpoint left or right, only forward and back with the - and = (selection decrease/increase) for the zoom level.Recommended settings in the intro pdf are 0.6 to 0.7 for the zoom, and if you look through the HGS the specific part of the EFIS control panel circled red would be the only part visable behind the HGS glass. Since you can't click through the glass, PMDG made the clickspot for easy stowing of the HGS. But no one checked that with the HGS out, TrackIR users panning their head to the right would notice just what is in my screenshots...the part normally behind HGS glass is now completely gone and the functionality of the knob plus the switch is also gone. Only when you stow the HGS does all that return, because for the non-TrackIR user they would have to stow the HGS to touch that specific MINS knob and VOR1/ADF1 switch.

Hi, FSX limitation. Any geometry in front of a click spot masks that click spot. Best regards,Robin.

Hi, FSX limitation. Any geometry in front of a click spot masks that click spot. Best regards,Robin.
What geometry? If the head is panned to the right, NOTHING is physically blocking that EFIS control panel.

I realized you don't even have to be airborne to duplicate this.Just sit on the ground and switch the HGS up..and down...and up..and then down. You'll see the EFIS control panel labeling appear, then disappear...then appear, then disappear.

Well, we always miss something. I can reproduce this, and will repair this for a future service pack. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Vin Scimone

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team_FB.jpg