Sign in to follow this  
Tristan Marchent

RADIO and BARO

Hi All, I've never got this, obviously to do with Instrument Approaches, What are they and when do we use RADIO? When do we use BARO? Does it tell me on an ILS Plate? I would really appreciate a simple explanation, Many Thanks, Tristan

Best Regards,
Tristan Marchent - UK fATPL(A) - EMB 195 First Officer

System: Intel i7-6700k Skylake CPU, 4 Cores (4.0-4.2GHz, Overlocked 20%), Asus Z170 PRO GAMING MBO, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Corsair Hydro H80i V2 CPU Cooler, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB, Windows 10 Home 64-bit (512GB M.2 PCIe SSD), Prepar3D V4.5 (1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD), 4TB SSHD Hybrid Drive, EVGA GQ 80 PLUS Gold 850W Modular PSU

RADIO is ONLY used for ILS Cat II/III.If on the approach plate says RA (radio altitude) in the section where decision heights are shown then this is an indication that radio must be used.

Thankyou! Very much appreciated!!

Best Regards,
Tristan Marchent - UK fATPL(A) - EMB 195 First Officer

System: Intel i7-6700k Skylake CPU, 4 Cores (4.0-4.2GHz, Overlocked 20%), Asus Z170 PRO GAMING MBO, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Corsair Hydro H80i V2 CPU Cooler, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB, Windows 10 Home 64-bit (512GB M.2 PCIe SSD), Prepar3D V4.5 (1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD), 4TB SSHD Hybrid Drive, EVGA GQ 80 PLUS Gold 850W Modular PSU

The RADIO is using the radio altimeter for minimums. The BARO is using the barometric altimeter for minimums.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

BARO=Altitude, RADIO=Height. A Height is a RADIO messured distance from the airplane to the ground below you. An Altitude is a barometric messured altitude from the airplane and down to sealevel reffering to a local QNH/US barometrci setting (forget the term). So if the appraoch chart is reffering to a Decision Altitude, you then set the figure using the BARO and using the local QNH/US baro setting.If the approach chart is reffering to a Decision Height, you set that figure using the RADIO setting.Many approach charts refer to both Altitude and Height, where the Height is often in brackets(). See the Copenhagen (EKCH) chart for ILS CATI+II+III to RWY 22L, linked below. The chart is reffering to OCA (H), which is the Obstacle Clearence Altitude (Height) - the level to wich you can descent on your current CAT appr. without having visual reference to the ground; in other words: If you reach the OCA (H), and do not have visual reference - G/A.http://www.slv.dk/Do..._II_III)_en.pdf Hope this cleared things up for you... Mas