Sign in to follow this  
Steenos

FSX Computer

If you're willing to do some reading/learning, I'd consider building a machine yourself - you'll get much better stuff and be able to troubleshoot it yourself since you know exactly what's in it and how it works.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thanks again for the quick response Ryan. I have built a computer myself but it's been a while. I do like the idea of buying whatever I want and being able to customize it how I want. I just didn't know if this would be the cheaper route (the cheaper route is not always best). I check out Newegg.com a lot and Tigerdirect.com I'm just unsure about motherboards and which is the right one for an i7 or i5 machine.

Here's what you want: CPU: Core i5 2500K or Core i7 2600K (go with the 2500K if this is just for FS - the 2600K has hyperthreading for $100 extra, not useful in FSX)Mobo: Something based on the Intel P67 or Z68 chipset. Asus and MSI are both great brands for it.RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600GPU: Nvidia GTX560 Ti, 570 or 580 with at least 1GB of RAMStorage: Do whatever you'd like, I like Western Digital for HDs and OCZ or Intel for SSDs. Get a good power supply, case and CPU cooler - with a good cooler you'll be able to OC the CPU up to 4.5+ GHz without issue.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

My other question about building a new machine. It might take me a couple months to get the cash available for it but I've already installed the NGX on my computer now. Will I be able to install it on my new machine once I get it?

Here's what you want: CPU: Core i5 2500K or Core i7 2600K (go with the 2500K if this is just for FS - the 2600K has hyperthreading for $100 extra, not useful in FSX)Mobo: Something based on the Intel P67 or Z68 chipset. Asus and MSI are both great brands for it.RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600GPU: Nvidia GTX560 Ti, 570 or 580 with at least 1GB of RAMStorage: Do whatever you'd like, I like Western Digital for HDs and OCZ or Intel for SSDs. Get a good power supply, case and CPU cooler - with a good cooler you'll be able to OC the CPU up to 4.5+ GHz without issue.
Since Intel spec seems to state that such CPU runs @ 1333 as bus max frequency, why buying 1600 ??? http://ark.intel.com...Cache-3_40-GHz)

I know it would basically just be throwing away money but I really want to fly. If I was able to get 4gigs of memory and bought Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit would I be able to fly smoothly?

Thanks you for this post Ryan. I´ve been meaning to PM you for a time to get your idea of an ideal PC that can handle nicely FSX + add-on sceneries+NGX+ASE+online flying at Vatsim+ all the other regular stuff I´d use my home pC for. The only reason I didn´t PM you is beacuse I thought you were already too busy with post-release debugging and support. So with this setup I´d have it all covered? Once again thanks!

You can still run the RAM higher and it makes use of it.
Hi Ryan, May not be a bad idea to make a sticky called Ryans FSX PC guide...or words to that effect - as the same questions seem to come up quite often here. Just a thought! :-)

Anthony Milner

I just posted such a thread with this suggestion a couple days ago, went by unnoticed though. I really think it would help a ton of people. Ryan, should I get a Corsair water cooler H100 or will the A50 air coole suffice? What about PSU? Am I looking for a professional series PSU from Corsair or can I aim lower and still be playing it safe? So far, this is my amazon wish list http://www.amazon.com/wishlist/3BK4TCT0UD471/ref=cm_wl_rlist_go Total amounts to $1600,00 Is the SSD a must have? I´m finding it pretty expensive... Will there be a lot of difference between having everything under one HD and having an HD with the OS and an SSD dedicated to FSX and peripherals? Thanks for the help.

If your finding it a bit expensive, go for the i5 2500k instead. You should also go for a Z68 based mobo as well.