Sign in to follow this  
Brian_A_Neuman

Brakes..

I completed my 1st full flight today, KSAN-KELP. I jacked the approach a bit by coming in way too fast. I had the autobrake set to minimum and after I came to a stop, I turned off the autobrake and the brakes would NOT release. I had to set the parking brake and then release it so I could taxi to the gate. Once I was in motion, I had no braking at all. I used my yoke command and the keyboard command and the only brakes that would set were the parking brakes. This was not an issue that occured when I was in San Diego. Any ideas of what I missed? And yes, I disconnected the autopilot. Thanks. Brian A. Neuman

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

Sounds like brake fade. Whats was your brake temp?

Ryan Syferd (KSEA)

Honestly, I dont have the 1st clue. Regardless of fade, I did not even get the indicator on the lower left of my screen that the brakes were even being applied.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

If I remember correctly, you wont get a "BRAKE" indicator from FSX while the autobrakes are actively in use. I had a short landing in Wrangell Alaska a couple of hours ago using the auto brakes, and ended up with a brake temp of 1.2 that got up to 1.5 just after I parked until it started to cool off again. As a precaution I did not set the parking brake once parked ( just used the chocks) to allow for cooling and prevent lock-up. A good trick is to do a slow taxi to the gate after a hot brake landing to allow them to cool.

Ryan Syferd (KSEA)

Ok, I will give it a shot on my next flight and see if that is a viable solution. However, in all my other planes that use autobrake, I get the inidcator, and thats how I knew my brakes wouldnt release in the middle of the runway. The thing wouldnt budge at 100% throttle settings.

Brian A. Neuman

The MD11 suffers from this. I don't know how to avoid it. Someone told me to use the period key on your keyboard instead of your hardware.

And thanks Falcon, I am still learning my way through this. Pretty advanced stuff here. :) I was just glad I got the FMC figured out and the autopilot set, now I just have to learn to slow the plane on approach.I dont have that problem on the MD11 Taylor. I probably should just play around with it more, as I said, this was my 1st complete flight on the 737NGX

Brian A. Neuman

Did you take a look at the Introduction? Will help ensure you have a good flight. Also the tutorial is a great resource even for experienced simmers. Finally what controller hardware do you have?

I had this exact issue only once. Brakes would not release, could not taxi off the runway. Turned on the parking brake, turning it off, then the brakes released, but they released for good. No brakes for the taxi to my parking spot. Every other flight, only about 6 so far, the autobrake and manual braking transition has gone off without a hitch.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

George, I did read the indroduction, and thats how I was able to get as far as I did on this flight. As far as my controller, I am very old school in this. I am using the same controller I used for FS2k, the MS Sidewinder Precision 2. Again, the flight went off without a hitch with the exception of braking. Unless my very high speed in landing really destroyed my brakes, and that may have happened based on what I am reading here. I will do more reading this weekend.

Brian A. Neuman

Same thing happened to me twice. I know that the NGX has brake failures modeled, but it seems a little unrealistic to have the brakes fail after a landing...I mean that doesn't happen in real life.

This happened to me right off the gate. I think it was caused by playing with the brakes with the chocks in. The whole remainder of the flight I had no brakes whats-so-ever. Autobrakes, Parking Brakes...Period Key...Nada. No brake indication in the lower DU...I assume that means they are good. Finished that flight (coasting to the gate hehe) and reloaded FSX and the 37...taking care to avoid trying to release parking brakes with the chocks in...etc. Working good this leg from YYZ to YYC.

It says in the tutorial flight: Page 82 "Note that due to an issue in FSX, you will need to tap the brakes several times or press and hold them to get the autobrakes to disengage." Hope that helps. Sean Campbell POST EDIT: To Bryan, think I went to school with you at CDO back in the 80's. Your name seems really familiar and I noticed you're from Tucson as well.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator