Sign in to follow this  
modano

SSD DISK how many of you

how many of you guys are running fsx and the ngx on a ssd disk.i am considering buying a ssd disk for fsx.but are in doubt if i got enogh improvement compared to the 10000 rpm disk i have now.thanks for all answers. Money Eyes.gif

i do. it is faster than the 10,000 hdd. is it worth the investment (money and the time reinstalling EVERYTHING)? not sure. it's not a world of a difference. but less noisy and yes, noticably faster.

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

im sure you get a faster start in fsx but what about loading scenery and stutter is that gone and so on would you feel it when you are flying.

Hi, I have two SSD's and love em. I use one for windows 7 64 bit and the second for FSX (this is a flightsim only computer). I use my old 10,000rpm drives for FSX addons and storage.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

if you can afford an ssd big enough to put the scenery on it, too, then you should also see faster scenery load times. probably fewer blurries, too. stutters will most likely be the same if you have them right now. fps will certainly not be affected.

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

money is no problem,but i never upgrade if i dont se an improvence.in other words i dont want to waste money,if you understand what i mean.thanks for good answers.

i you have the money, the time, and an overall good computer, you should go do it.

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

I bought the Plextor PX-M2 Series PX-128M2S 2.5" 128GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) from Newegg, on sale...I agree with everyone that commented above, But you will notice a improvement. Especially in load times...If you make videos of your flights its a good improvement over traditional HHD drives in recording and editing. I only have FSX and its add-ons on this SSD. The autogen is faster and helps reduce the blurs, and the shutters are less, but it still depends on your overall system Good luck... John

I run FSX on its own 250GB SSD, and load times simply aren't an issue anymore. Scenery stays crisp (even in milk!), and the sim loads up really quickly. Going from an exterior view of the NGX back to the VC, there's basically almost no texture lag at all. SSDs are still ungodly expensive for their size, but I'm hooked.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

If you want a sample of how it will look, load up a flight while observing the speed.Exit FSDo the same thing over again. If you have enough memory, everything is cached and you'll see basically what an SSD would do in that stituation.I have 4GB and that trick works. - If your drive is making lots of clicking clunk noises (seeking) that will be solved. I noticed even after defragging the disk activity during loading was ridiculus.- It won't help stutters.- Product installation and other maint is like 20 times faster. Nice, yes. Useful, yes. Needed at those prices? No.I mainly bought mine out of interest. Of course it went to FS. :) Tim D.

I'm going to get a smallish one just for FSX and the Windows swapfile. 64gb will do fine and it'll set me back around 130 aussie bucks...

Matt Webb

I have a OCz 120GB SSD with only FSX installed on it. Runs fine and the textures load very fast!

I picked up an OCZ Agility 2 SSD and within a month it was dead... There appear to be some issues with the OCZ SSD's that OCZ has said they havnt figured out yet how to cure. I.e. Sleep mode may cause your SSD to "lock" and render the drive useless. I asked how to "unlock" the drive and OCZ said I would need to get an RMA as the only way to supposedly do it is by the mfg. Basicly I have to keep getting a new drive from them every month until they come up with a fix.... Def wouldnt recommend an OCZ drive. Have no idea if other SSD's are having issues with sleep mode though. But I did like windows, fsx, and other programs firing up in a heart beat... JR

If you need visible improvement, you can't say an SSD drive is not worth the price, because it is in my understanding the only way to see a major difference in load time, texture lag and scenery blurries. Disk access is the second most limiting bottleneck in an FS system, right after processor speed.