Sign in to follow this  

When do you disengage AP before landing ?

When do you disengage the AP ?  

203 members have voted

1. 1. When do you disengage the AP before landing ?

• Never, I perform autolands
    • Around at one hundred
    • Around for hundreds
    • Just when glide is captured
    • Before glide is captured
    • What is AP ?

When do you disengage AP before landing ?

Landing with HGS is amazing. I will have to do some without it, otherwise i will loose practice.

My old rule of thumb was around the time I lowered the gear, but on the NGX, I find I am needing to lower the gear a bit earlier in the approach to kill speed, so once I am on the glide, I will run through the landing check, get everything in order, then kill the autopilot and earn my pay. Autoland....bah

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Odd poll... needs more choices... If I'm on a visual, I usually hand fly it after being cleared for the visual. If I'm flying a CATI ILS, I usually disengage a bit before DH. If I'm being lazy hehe, I use full autoland.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Depends on how I feel. Sometimes up at 10K feet, other times right before I capture the localize, and yet other times I keep the AP on until a few hundred feet. I'd say more often than not I disconnect it a few thousand feet up.

usually around 1000ft and aircraft all set for landing(final checks) completed. if i feel up for it, from FAF if im visual and have the PAPI insight. I have just started becoming visual with my landings. I was so used to flying the ILS in APP mode for so long that i rarely did any hand flying. if you trim this aircraft up nice( sorry never flown the ngx, only a fixed sim) she will fly down the G/S nicely for a nice flare!!! Ashley Allen

I fly easyjet a lot, sit at the front all the time, you can here the AP disengage at what looks like about 1000ft, maybe a little lower, so I do the same just for the sake of it. However, with the HGS, I have been handflying circuits, short and long, non stop, can't get enough of it, it's just too easy, so I've been putting in 30 kt side winds just to have something a bit more challenging

-Iain Watson-

Just as i begin to make my turn to final. AP is ok for getting the plane from one airport to another, but for landings and takeoff, i prefer to fly it myself..

Yeah, I voted for "Just at glide capture" but in reality, I generally D/C the A/P after GS capture...I let the AP stabilize the aircraft, then I disengage. If I'm just flying circuits for touch and go landing practice, it's hand-flying all the way for me. Adam

If I know the terrain and the weather is nice: When I see the airport/surounding area. I love flying the 737 manually, preferably without A/T and F/D as well. I always fly the ILS manually when I'm established and everything is set, unless the conditions are CATIII. But now I can do that manually with the HGS! Love.gif

I always hand fly the last 1000ft on an ILS approach if the weather permits it.For non-precision approaches i.e. VOR/DME, NDB and Localizer only approaches I hand fly from much higher as there's no electronic glideslope guidance.

I usually turn off the AP/AT at the outer marker, unless its been a long flight and I've been hitting the liquor cart a little too much!

Your kidding me, does this thing has a real Auto Pilot????????????? Praying.gif Okay after all let's get serious.... i just use my AP in cruise and when on level all the rest is done by hand. Cheers, Peter FaaseEHAM