Sign in to follow this  
rcbarend

RIP: David "Opa" Marshal

Just read about this. I am shocked and saddened. My deepest sympathies to his family and friends, including all of us with the FS community. God Speed David.

Ironically, I "met" Opa when he generously offered to assist me in using one of Rob's (the OP) freeware gifts to the community - how life twists and turns. If I recall, Rob was unavailable at the time, so Opa and I emailed back and forth and he wouldn't be settled until I not only had the addon running correctly, but that I also understood where I had gone wrong. He was always a great teacher; so patient, kind and thoughtful. Though we never met, you couldn't help but sense he was a true gentleman. R.I.P Opa and my condolances and sympathies to his family, friends and fellow flight sim enthusiasts.

Regards, Kendall

Opa, you were a true friend, gentleman, and scholar. Your knowledge and wisdom touched many lives and will be missed. My condolences to David's family and friend's. Opa always had a way about him that was unsurpassed. It was like a friend that was there right when you needed them. I know he helped me on more than one occasion, and I for one can contest that he was very kind and patient. He had a way of explaining things that were not only easy to understand, but also practical. Our simming community has lost a true friend and legend and his legacy should NEVER be forgotten. Jeremy

I have a delightful feeling that the almighty was in need of personal tuition. No finer choice could be made. Deepest sympathies to his family and friends ... a very great loss.

I am sorry to hear of David's passing...We have done a couple of sceneries together.. I shall miss sending him a birthday card as we shared the same birthday.. March 12th.. Ray Lunning

Rest in Peace David. You truly earned your wings.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

I am very saddened to hear this. I remember Opa as an extremely helpful member of this community and has helped me on many occasions, he is truly a legend here, it really hit me hard when I first read the thread title. My sincerest condolences to his family.

I am deeply shocked and saddened to hear that David has passed. He was a true friend to all flightsimmers yet I, like so many, never actually met him. He will always be remembered with great affection. My heartfelt condolences to David's family. May he rest in eternal peace.

Tis indeed time that WE all model ourself after David's great way of helping people and may we be as gifted as he was in imparting information to us.My deepest sympathy to his family.Bob G.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

The number of replies to this show how much regard we all had for Opa - actually quite touching for me as my ex wife is Dutch and her father was always "opa" to our daughter. Hope there will be a memorial as he was one of the most generous people around. RIP John

Thank you David for helping me with my daunting newbie challenges. The forum with your support made me feel like there was no problem that could not be surmounted. I never felt uncomfortable asking any question.Rest in Peace.

I don't normally respond to these sorts of posts. However, in this case, I will. Opa has helped many. And, on many occasions, has also helped me. I learnt a lot from his posts to others and his responses to my own. As I write this, there is a lump in my throat and I feel like I am fighting back tears. Thanks Opa. You will be missed. I do hope threads such as these can be forwarded on to the family to give them a sense of how much their loved-one will be missed. My condolences.

Regards,

Freddy

My very deepest condolences to 'Opa's' family at this time, a real gentleman has left the earthly cockpit. A thousand thanks for all he gave to us, we will miss him dearly.

Regards,

Mark