Sign in to follow this  
Bryn

Skipping environment sounds when FPS > 100

Hi,I have a weird problem. If my framerate goes above 100fps, the environment sounds (ie, wind) distorts and starts to skip. This is especially noticeable when I pan the view around outside (ie, when fps is constantly above 100fps). I can fix it by turning off environment sound in the FS9 sound settings, but it turns out these sounds are fairly integral to most aircraft. Has anyone else experienced this? Any solutions?Bryn.

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

Yes, reduce your fps to default '20fps' and all will be well.

Dave Taylor gb.png

High framerates mean faster texture loading and smoother flying. Has anyone had success tweaking sound.dll? I took a look at it, but couldn't see where it might be reloading the wav file every 100 frames. Was hoping for a simple hex fix. Bryn

I think you rPC is actually overpowering the game. I had the same issue when running frames unlimited. I set it something like 80FPS and the issue went away. Even 80 is overkill but you get the idea. Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Enable VSync and it will limit you to butter smooth 60FPS...-P

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

The problem with limiting the framerate is that it brings into play all of the texture loading algorithms that the late Steve Lacey wrote about on his blog. A high limited framerate would actually slow texture loading considerably, because it is the denominator in the equation that defines how many textures to send to the gpu. Unlimiting the framerate just lets everything go through as fast as it can, which speeds up texture loading (ie reduces blurries). With the environment sounds, I notice that they are unique in the sound.cfg files, because they have variables that test for airspeed and limit the rate and volume. My suspicion is that sound.dll carries out a test every 100 frames and then reloads the wav file with new settings. If your fps exceeds 100fps, perhaps it ends up reloading the sound more quickly than it can handle, and thus skips. I dunno. But that is why I was wondering about a hex edit for sound.dll.Cheers,BrynRest in peace, Opa.

The problem with limiting the framerate is that it brings into play all of the texture loading algorithms that the late Steve Lacey wrote about on his blog. A high limited framerate would actually slow texture loading considerably, because it is the denominator in the equation that defines how many textures to send to the gpu. Unlimiting the framerate just lets everything go through as fast as it can, which speeds up texture loading (ie reduces blurries).With the environment sounds, I notice that they are unique in the sound.cfg files, because they have variables that test for airspeed and limit the rate and volume. My suspicion is that sound.dll carries out a test every 100 frames and then reloads the wav file with new settings. If your fps exceeds 100fps, perhaps it ends up reloading the sound more quickly than it can handle, and thus skips. I dunno. But that is why I was wondering about a hex edit for sound.dll.Cheers,BrynRest in peace, Opa.
If you've ever found a solution to this, I would love to hear as well. I've experienced the same thing.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Sorry for not responding sooner.I have not found a hex fix for this. However, the new nVidia drivers allow you to limit the framerate externally (I set this using the latest version of Inspector). I've been using this for one day, and it is flying smoothly and loading textures quickly.Bryn.

Sadly, the nvidia limiter also limits the speed of texture loading, so I've been back looking for a hex fix. I've searched the sound.dll for 0x64 (or 100 in decimal, which might be the upper limit of a counter) and tried changing them to FA (max value for one byte), but none of the offsets I could find did anything - or they crashed the sim. A pity. I'll keep looking though, but any suggestions are welcome.

I think you rPC is actually overpowering the game. I had the same issue when running frames unlimited. I set it something like 80FPS and the issue went away. Even 80 is overkill but you get the idea. Clutch

true, i did the same thing and it worked

Man, you guys are talking about getting 80-100 fps in a flightsim!! That would be my dream come true!! Forget about wind sounds if you are getting performance like that lol

Man, you guys are talking about getting 80-100 fps in a flightsim!! That would be my dream come true!! Forget about wind sounds if you are getting performance like that lol

FS9 on new i5 and i7 systems runs from 50(ground)-200fps(sky) at max settings with REX and many other add-ons, plus u can multitask other apps while fs9 is running. I have Netflix and IE9 going on while i'm on a long flight, it's great!

It sounds great! I can't wait to try fs9 on my system myself within the next few weeks on my i7 extreme mobile edition. I really hope my expectations are not too high in terms of performance!