Sign in to follow this  
fakeflyer737

CFG & Controls

Everytime I install something new I like to delete the CFG and reconfig everything, the only problem is that is then when it creates a new CFG it wipes out all of assigned controls, yet I cannot find anything in my CFG that has anything to do with mapping controls. Does anybody know where FSX keeps the notepad document of the Controls, that way I can back it up and throw it back into the FSX location after I delete my CFG, it would save me a ton of time!Cheers

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

One folder 'down' from the fsx.cfg file is \Controls\standard.xml - you can open with notepad. Just right-click and select 'edit'.Save frequently to keep your changes. Loyd

That is correct. IF you're wanting to know where the FSX.CFG calls the controls XML it's here:

[CONTROLS]Controls_Default=StandardControls_Current=StandardKBDAIL=64KBDELEV=64KBDRUD=64

You don't have to replace the xml file, just simply reenter the previous lines back into your fsx.cfg. Just remember, that everytime you rebuild your fsx.cfg that you have to re-authenticate all your "trusted files" (i.e. guages, panels, etc) So it may behoove you to copy all of your trusted lines as well:

[Trusted]E:\Program Files (x86)\FS Recorder for FSX\RecorderFSX.dll.rnoahcwzwrwitcuznwtihccuwrwrrnilwkutbrht=1

However, it may be better to re-authorize those instead to keep out any dead files or doubles.

Guest jahman
...when it creates a new CFG it wipes out all of assigned controls...
Now you know why I assign all my controls, and I mean all, in FSUIPC! :( Cheers, - jahman.

Everytime I install something new I like to delete the CFG and reconfig everything, the only problem is that is then when it creates a new CFG it wipes out all of assigned controls, yet I cannot find anything in my CFG that has anything to do with mapping controls. Does anybody know where FSX keeps the notepad document of the Controls, that way I can back it up and throw it back into the FSX location after I delete my CFG, it would save me a ton of time! Cheers
Hi Ron, Hope it's clear from the posts above where you can find/restore the xml file that stores your control setup.However, you can save yourself some time. Is there a specific reason WHY you want to have FS rebuilding the fsx.cfg file everytime ??I've been using FS9 and FSX intensively over the past years, and I have NEVER had the need to have FSX rebuild the fs9/fsx.cfg file again (other then installing FS9/FSX on a new PC). Regards, Rob

Sorry guys Im not getting it lol. So in the CFG its says "Controls Standard" which point it too the Controls.xml file, well I had a look at the Controls.xml file it just all the default settings even though my FSX Controls have been changedl by me.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Hi Ron, Hope it's clear from the posts above where you can find/restore the xml file that stores your control setup.However, you can save yourself some time. Is there a specific reason WHY you want to have FS rebuilding the fsx.cfg file everytime ??I've been using FS9 and FSX intensively over the past years, and I have NEVER had the need to have FSX rebuild the fs9/fsx.cfg file again (other then installing FS9/FSX on a new PC). Regards, Rob
Same for me, so bump.

Sorry guys Im not getting it lol. So in the CFG its says "Controls Standard" which point it too the Controls.xml file, well I had a look at the Controls.xml file it just all the default settings even though my FSX Controls have been changedl by me.
Are you looking at the correct copy of controls.xml, which is in C:\Documents and Settings\J<User>\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\Controls. Mine does contain the changes I make. Also, why do you re-build the .cfg file: what are the advantages?

C:\Users\(your_user_id)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls\Standard.xml C:/Users/pj/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX/Controls/Dodo.XMLC:/Users/pj/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX/Controls/Lancaster.XMLC:/Users/pj/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX/Controls/Maddog.XMLC:/Users/pj/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX/Controls/Standard.XML I run a different fsx.cfg for each of several different aircraft, (called by a dos script), and call whichever control set is needed. i.e. The controls file for the regular, single-engined aircraft is 'Standard.xml', so this is used when loading the A2A Spitfire, the SibWings BirdDog, A2A Cub, the Cessna 172, etc.. When using the B25, the DC3, the Milviz Cessna 310, the BN2 Islander - the fsx.cfg used calls the B25.xml, as these aircraft have two mixture controls, two throttles and two pitch controls. You can do this for any number of fsx.cfg files, with any combination of xml control files.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

What are the specific difference in the Fsx.cfg files for single and twin engined aircraft, other han any the user makes in the controls .xml files?