Sign in to follow this  
johanv39

Strange seethrough NGX after tutorial flight

Hi Gents I completed Ryan's tutorial with great success exept for battling to set the radio minimums to 100 and then exit from the flight back to the free flight page. I went to get some coffee and on my return I saw this picture. I then tried to reload the NGX but a lot of the graphics was greyed out and you could not do anything. I then exit from FSX completely and the NGX loaded normal again. I have done the complete introduction setup and the tweaks ( Used Bojote's FSX tweaking & Tuning tool) as recommended. Has any of you experienced this as well??

Hi Guys I can't believe there is no one offering some direction as to what my problem can be. I'm still waiting for any positive response. Enjoy

I remeber reading about this in the Introduction document. It happens since the MD-11 I guess everytime you select another livery in the aicraft menu. There's a way around this without having to reboot FSX, but I don't remeber now. Take a look the the Introduction. It's there.

Matheus Mafra

I remeber reading about this in the Introduction document. It happens since the MD-11 I guess everytime you select another livery in the aicraft menu. There's a way around this without having to reboot FSX, but I don't remeber now. Take a look the the Introduction. It's there.
Hi Matheus That's correct. In the introduction they talk about the HIMEM FIX and something else but I did all the tweaks and still get this. I don't think that is the problem but thanks for your reply smile.png

Hi Matheus That's correct. In the introduction they talk about the HIMEM FIX and something else but I did all the tweaks and still get this. I don't think that is the problem but thanks for your reply smile.png
No no no no no... That's not it. They say something about selecting the livery of another variant and then selecting the variant you was using before or something like that. I can't get to it today because I have to go to bed now. Have to wake up early tomorrow. If someone else find it, great. If not, I'll take a look at the manuals when I get home after school.

Matheus Mafra

You have to select a different model. So if you are flying the 800WL, choose the 900[WL], for example, and then choose the desired 800[WL] livery. Hope this helps, Regards

Best regards, happy flying,

Wallace

I also get that 'See Through' with my GTS450 - but it returns to normal aftera second or two. I also get a 'grey' VC for a short while when switching back to the VC. I canlive with that on my 2.66 Core 2 Duo with 4 gigs RAM for the moment. If Iwait a while normality returns.Bill

The only thing that fix it for me was actually resizing the repaint textures to 1024 from 4096. If I leave them at 4096 it will eventually load on my system but takes a while since I am low on RAM. Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I get that and I also get the gray VC. I think it's to do with my older system. It clears up after about 10 seconds.

Hi Guys Thank you for all the responses. I found the solution on page 22 of the introduction document. I was too tired when I read it the first time so I forgot what to do Sleepy.gif So for the others that might read this here is the solution from the introduction document: One shortcoming of all PMDG products for FSX is that ourproducts do not like to be “re-loaded.” This means that if youhave one variant of the airplane selected and running within thesimulation world (say, a 737-800 with winglets) and you wish tochange liveries to a different 737-800 with winglets, you may runinto a simulator lock-up if this is not done carefully.Getting around this limitation is simple: Load a different variantfrom the one you currently have loaded in the simulator. Usingour example above, since we are already flying a 737-800 withwinglets, simply choose a 737-800 or a 737-900, and thenchoose the 737-800 winglet model you wanted in the first place.This easy method will keep you from having to reload FSX whenswitching between liveries! Happy Flying!!

The only thing that fix it for me was actually resizing the repaint textures to 1024 from 4096. If I leave them at 4096 it will eventually load on my system but takes a while since I am low on RAM. Sean Campbell
I think I am low on Ram as well just had a question on how to resize the repaint textures from 4096 to 1024 is that in the fsx.cfg file as well or somewhere else? Thanks for your help.

I think I am low on Ram as well just had a question on how to resize the repaint textures from 4096 to 1024 is that in the fsx.cfg file as well or somewhere else? Thanks for your help.
Hi ----, was going to call you by your name but it's not listed. :-) I use DXTBmp (freeware) and GIMP (also freeware). It's kind of time comsuming but here's how I do it. First I load the texture into DXTBmp, then I send the "Image" to the editor which is GIMP, then I scale it to 1024 and save it to my desktop. Then I send the "alpha texture" to editor, resize it to 1024, then save it to my desktop. After those two parts are complete, I reload the saved "image" texture back into DXTBmp and import the saved and resized alpha texture back into DXTBmp, then resave it as a DXT5 .dds file with the same name as the orignal file and drop it back into my texture folder where I found it. I have also resized 4 of the largest VC textures to 1024 using the same method. Do the VC textures has helped a lot because I was getting gray VC textures when I would pan out of the VC then come back in. Now with the VC textures resized and also the external textures resize it has really helped my performance. There might be an easier way to do it, but I have yet to find it. I tried doing the whole thing in GIMP but sometimes the textures images dont load correctly and sometimes they do. I cant figure it out just using one tool, so I just do it the way I explained it to you. I also asked Ryan the other day if there was an easier way to do it or if they could upload some type of batch tool we could use to resize the textures since it takes so long, or even offer them as a 1024 download for those of us with older rigs and less RAM. It's made the most difference for me so far but I have only done my American Airlines textures so far due to the time it takes. When I fly the other planes I just turn off the external model completely until I do the textures for them.Hope this helps.Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I also get that 'See Through' with my GTS450 - but it returns to normal aftera second or two. I also get a 'grey' VC for a short while when switching back to the VC. I canlive with that on my 2.66 Core 2 Duo with 4 gigs RAM for the moment. If Iwait a while normality returns.Bill
I get the same 'skeleton' image,like you have stated,when changing views,and it only lasts for a fraction of a second,but then returns to normal. No big issue for me,I can live with it if this is all it is compared to some of the other issues being posted. I'm either doing something very incorrectly or something very correctly.Whichever,I'm getting to do what this aircraft was originally intended to---fly it all over the place.

It's made the most difference for me so far but I have only done my American Airlines textures so far due to the time it takes. When I fly the other planes I just turn off the external model completely until I do the textures for them.
Could you upload this American Airlines livery?

supporter.jpgpilot.gif