Sign in to follow this  
guygilboa

Emergencies

I was surprised that common start malfunctions weren't simulated since SOOOO many failures were. (i.e. Hot Start, Hung Start, No lightoff, etc...)

I was surprised that common start malfunctions weren't simulated since SOOOO many failures were. (i.e. Hot Start, Hung Start, No lightoff, etc...)
Me too! It doesn't seem to matter when to flip the engine start levers during engine start. The EGT will always stay within limits. A bit disappointing to be honest. Daniel Verhaal

Those aren't that common though. At least not in a modern jet with a FADEC.

Those aren't that common though. At least not in a modern jet with a FADEC.
Bingo.
On the subject of engine starts - it's actually extremely difficult to screw up a start on a modern jet engine. We tried a bunch of things in the real NG sim trying to screw up the starts to see if this is something we should model and you basically can't do it. Our pilot advisors have said the same - most have never seen any trouble at all with a start.

In that case, I'll take my words back!I always thought that you screw up any jet engine by applying the fuel before a certain N2 percentage. They made the NG to easy to operate! LOL.gif

First of all there are no "common" start problems on this engine.
Me too! It doesn't seem to matter when to flip the engine start levers during engine start. The EGT will always stay within limits. A bit disappointing to be honest.
Why? The devs have stated long ago they tried everything to break the engine on a level D sim, it just don't work. Sure enough the EGT will stay within limits, that's why you have electronic engine control on this plane. If you want a hot start you better fly an older ship that will satisfy your "needs". LMAO.gifsig.gif

...or fly a CRJ. I remember a couple when I worked for IDE and then ground handled several UAX carriers at IAD. My favorite was with IDE, where a pilot went on a quick side-rant about it, starting with "Ah [explet.], hot start!" and continuing on with "What a piece of [reference to origin of the aircraft] junk [and so on]," finishing with "freakin' Restart Jet...gawd!"

Kyle Rodgers