Sign in to follow this  
Brenchen

XPS 15 Tweaking for NGX

51 members have voted

1. 1. How many frames do you run with the specs similar to mine (on ground + addon scenery)?

• Less than 10 (average)
    • 10 to 20 (average)
    • 20 to 30 (average)
    • 30 to 40 (average)
    • Above 40 (average)

Hi guys, I'm running an i7 2630M on my dell XPS 15 (quite new). I'm getting OK frames but I believe it can do better. I have done nothing to the hardware, but tweaks I've changed some textures around etc with *******'s tweak. I'm interested to know what framerates other people with XPS15 are getting, and what did you do to get that performance? The detailed specs are:

• GFX: NVidia GT525m, 1.5G memory
  • RAM: 8GB 1333MHz (9-9-9-24)
  • CPU: i7 2630m 3.2GHz stock (sandy bridge core)
  • Screen: 1366x768
  • FSX: Windowed mode maximized

Please, I invite you to participate and also post up briefly your specs and tweaks (if any) that you used to get the performance you did. Thanks

Brendan Chen

Learning to use and getting use to FSX!

AJ, what tweaks (if any) did you have? (BTW, got your vib files, they are great! Thanks)

Brendan Chen

20-30 full view!!
Is that with *******'s tweak? That's interesting, most people find that maximized windowed mode seems to work significantly better with that tweak. Can I assume that you have some other tweaks, running NGX + addon scenery in full screen mode you get 20-30?

Brendan Chen

I have a Dell Studio 1558 with an i5-520m, 4GB DDR3 PC3 10600 RAM (another 4 is on the way), ATi Radeon 4570, and 7 64-bit and I get around 20 on the ground and up to 30 in the air. FSX: Windowed. I've done some of the tweaks to the fsx.cfg and they've made a difference (ones mentioned in the intro).
Yea interesting. I've done what's in the tutorial + a few more personal ones which I found useful. But it seems that it still doesn't give me a decent run. I use external FPS suggested by *******. But somehow it won't work on my laptop... Having said that Tom, tell me if you get better performance if you use "UsePools=0" (without inverted commas) under [bufferPools]; if you don't have it already. I found that quite useful for me. Just a suggestion in case you didn't know smile.png

Brendan Chen

Tweak = bought a new computerXPS = Xtreme Pile of Sh*t
Lol, I've hear that they aren't the best out there, but with my limited knowledge and experience with them, I'm reasonably happy :(

Brendan Chen

Look at my specs and what I had to say about it below.... thankfully I should be getting a new computer soon...

Daniel Miller

AJ, what tweaks (if any) did you have? (BTW, got your vib files, they are great! Thanks)
Rebuilt fsx.cfg from scratch, ran it through *******'s tool.Added the lines mentioned in the introduction guide. Also running FPS Limiter 0.2, and I've turned off all bloom and shadows.Every slider maxed except for autogen and scenery complexity which are both very dense.No AI traffic period (I do VATSIM only anyway). That's about it. (vibs: you're welcome!)

At this stage, by the looks of the poll, I'm not doing better, but there is potential to improve...

Brendan Chen

You can't compare frame rates unless you try to set up a specific scenario.For instance try:PHNL RW 26Lclear all weatherhave al the sliders at 75%use the VC then report the frame rates

Paul Gugliotta

Good point, but setting too much restrictions I'm worried that people just won't bother looking at it. PHNL RW26L as in default scenery?Day time?Panel Condition?It's doing about 22-23 (daytime, default panel condition - whatever it comes with)

Brendan Chen

There is one vote for 30-40, I'm interested to know, what specs and what setups (incl. tweaks) are you running to achieve this (if you don't mind me asking)? And whether it is the lower, mid or higher end of 30-40FPS?

Brendan Chen

20-30 for me in VC in Kennedy Intl. (FSDT KJFK) UT2 I get even better performance at KSFO (FlightBeam Scenery)Real-World weather, REX, UT2. and the HDR mod.

Chris Ferguson

PC Specs(Rebuilt 1/11/19): i7-9700K - Non-OC'd, EVGA RTX 2080ti, G.Skillz 16GB Ram 3000mhz, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w PSU, Cooler Master ML360R, ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 MoBo, 2x 2TB HDD, 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD, 1x 220GB WD SSD