Sign in to follow this  
RPRIEVER

Preflight setup problems

Greetings all,I was attempting to set up a flight, and decided to try the "cold and dark" scenario. I got thru most of the items (I have a few questions I'll leave for a later date). However, a few strange things happened that I can't figure out. First, the yaw damper light wouldnt extinguish after I turned the YD on. Also, after programming the FMC, I couldnt get the route to appear on the ND, either in MAP mode or PLAN mode. I attached a few screen shots, I'm sure this is a simple error.

Do you have all your hydraulic switches and electrical switches on and so forth? I had that problem on my 1st flight, and I think it stemmed from me missing a step, cause on my 2nd flight I was able to extingush the yaw damper light.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

I may be wrong but I think the yaw damper light will only extinguish when their is hydraulic power available. So it should go when you get the engines running or turn on the electric pumps.Not sure about your second problem though as I'm using my phone and can't really see the images! Have you activated the flight plan on the CDU?

I'm still running FSX, trying out some of these suggestions. I just turned on the electric hyd pumps (the engine pumps were already on). However, the YD light is still on.Yes, the flight plan is fully activated.

Edited by RPRIEVER

I may be wrong but I think the yaw damper light will only extinguish when their is hydraulic power available. So it should go when you get the engines running or turn on the electric pumps. Not sure about your second problem though as I'm using my phone and can't really see the images! Have you activated the flight plan on the CDU?
I agree. With the hydraulic pumps on and available the yaw damper light will extinguish.

Did you initialize the FMC position? The ADIRUs may want to know where they are before they start telling the Y/D what to do. That would explain the no map problem, too. The plane doesn't know where it is!

Matt Cee

Yep, the IRS was the culprit. I believe I made an error in inputting the POS page. Not sure if this is the issue, but I entered the "last position" numbers instead of the "present position". I went thru the QRH, followed the steps, and everything is now working properly. Learn something new everyday!!Thanks, guys

Yep, the IRS was the culprit. I believe I made an error in inputting the POS page. Not sure if this is the issue, but I entered the "last position" numbers instead of the "present position". I went thru the QRH, followed the steps, and everything is now working properly. Learn something new everyday!! Thanks, guys
Well I still can't get the Yaw Damper light to go out even after the IRS is aligned and pos init set in the FMS. Suggestions? Thanks. Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Are there any failures active? Try starting the engines.

Are there any failures active? Try starting the engines.
No failures indicated and the engines start. Must be something I have missed as I have now noticed that the route isn't displayed on the PFD it is just a simple route - departing and arrival airports plus sids and stars. Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

No failures indicated and the engines start. Must be something I have missed as I have now noticed that the route isn't displayed on the PFD it is just a simple route - departing and arrival airports plus sids and stars. Bruceb
Your cockpit is completely unprepared. At least do it step by step with the checklists. YAW damper won't be on until you prepare for pushback. At that time you will pressurize hydraulics and the airplaine's main buses will be energized by the APU GEN initially and the Engines' right after start. After start, hydraulics will have, electric and engine driven pumps on. For the route to display on the ND, not only the strapdowns have to be aligned, but also they need a position to be entered in the POS INIT page. You can use the last position (if you've set up the option in the CDU), enter it by hand or even use the position of the field's ARP because once you go take off thrust, that position will set itself correctly to the runway you entered for departure.

Omar Josef
737/757/767