Sign in to follow this  
raymar

The Makings of a P-8A Poseidon paint for the NGX

While learning to fly the superb NGX and waiting for an official paintkit, I covered up the windows of the 800, added NAVY to the fuselage, added the military logo and added back the oversized window and now I'm flying around the Naval Air Stations showing off my P-8A Lookalike (from a great distance and don't look too closely). I sure hope PMDG keeps the Military versions on the front burner. This is coming out of FT. Lauderdale Intl using the Ft Lauderdale X Revisited photo-real scenery. Check out the AVSIM review here http://www.avsim.com...esigns/FLL.html P8-A_KFLL.jpg Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

This might help the cause...
Hey, that is great detail, but, I'm not a painter. Maybe Chock will decide to update his other 737_P8-A to the new PMDG standards. I like this one. P8_armed.jpg Ray

This version has a lot more bumps, stripes, and warnings. No doubt it is a P8-A Poseidon. Thanks PMDG.PMDG_P8A-c.jpg Ray (Thanks Chock, where are you?)

Very cool looking.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

What model is that? Is it from another developer? Free or payware?
It is payware from PMDG. It is a highly modified B738 - 737NGX. I don't have the paintkit yet and it has a few ugly spots near where they change the diapers and on the engine nacelles but if you fly fast and act like you know what you are doing most folks don't care. I'm not sure I could do much better with the paintkit but I could probably fill in the blanks. I'm hoping PMDG releases an actual Military Variant as an addon to the base kit. The P8-A is a real mixed bag from Boeing. Bits and pieces of the 800 and 900 witth extra fuel, hopped up engines, bombbay doors, missles, torpedoes, etc. Ray

FYI from wikipedia. The P-8 is a militarized version of the 737-800 with 737-900-based wings. The airframe uses a 737-800-based fuselage that is similar to but longer than the 737-700-based C-40 Clipper. The P-8 has a strengthened fuselage and 767-400ER-style raked wingtips, instead of the blended winglets available on 737NG variants. The five operator stations (two Naval Flight Officers plus three enlisted Aviation Warfare Operators/Naval Aircrewman) are mounted in a sideways row, along the port side of the cabin. None of these crew stations have windows. One observer window is located on each side of the forward cabin. A short bomb bay for torpedoes and other stores opens behind the wing. The aircraft also includes six additional body fuel tanks, three in the forward cargo compartment and three in the rear, for extended range. These are manufactured by Marshall Aerospace in Cambridge, UK. The P-8 features the Raytheon APY-10 multi-mission surface search radar. Armaments (5 internal and 6 external) SLAM-ER missiles, Mines and Torpedoes. Not your Grandmother's NGX. Ray

It is payware from PMDG. It is a highly modified B738 - 737NGX. I don't have the paintkit yet and it has a few ugly spots near where they change the diapers and on the engine nacelles but if you fly fast and act like you know what you are doing most folks don't care. I'm not sure I could do much better with the paintkit but I could probably fill in the blanks. I'm hoping PMDG releases an actual Military Variant as an addon to the base kit. The P8-A is a real mixed bag from Boeing. Bits and pieces of the 800 and 900 witth extra fuel, hopped up engines, bombbay doors, missles, torpedoes, etc. Ray
Just wondering how you managed to make those changes to the model without a paintkit, etc?

Hey, that is great detail, but, I'm not a painter. Maybe Chock will decide to update his other 737_P8-A to the new PMDG standards. I like this one. P8_armed.jpg Ray
Is this also the PMDG NGX in the pic with the bomb bay doors open?

Is this also the PMDG NGX in the pic with the bomb bay doors open?
Nope, this is just a photo or a photoshop. Found it on the web while seaching for pics. But, the Captain Sim Weapon program should work with this one. If so, none of the planes are safe anymore. We will have flaming bits and pieces of virtual planes all over the place. I would suspect the 'missions' will be very active. Ray

Just wondering how you managed to make those changes to the model without a paintkit, etc?
Lots of hits and misses. I basically copied and pasted to fit an existing repaint for a very similar plane on top of one of the PMDG liveries.Sometimes it required a mirror image or flip and turn and a stretch to fit. Other times were just wild &@($* guesses and then I had to do some bright spot paints and load it up and see the location.,then go in and clean it up. Sir Chock did the original P8-A repaint for the iFly NGX and gave it to me. I was just on a flight from KGPT to KJAX using AilvaSoft's EFB. I was cleared for decent and given the appoach and had a memory warning. I'm not sure about that but it could simpy be all the photoshop junk was in the background. I have 8 GB memory. Ray

Love this variant! what are the buldges on the engine nacelles for?