Sign in to follow this  
springbok204

Have Never Used VC in FSX

Hey Guys, With PMDG pushing towards virtual cockpits in FSX, I'm not looking to start a discussion of 2D versus virtual cockpits. What tips can you give me, who's never used a virtual cockpit? What sort of additional software or hardware would you recommend? How easy is it to manipulate stuff in the VC? I only have a joystick with a hat and have looked around in the VC on the MD11 (I have that) but I've never used it.

Hey Guys, With PMDG pushing towards virtual cockpits in FSX, I'm not looking to start a discussion of 2D versus virtual cockpits. What tips can you give me, who's never used a virtual cockpit? What sort of additional software or hardware would you recommend? How easy is it to manipulate stuff in the VC? I only have a joystick with a hat and have looked around in the VC on the MD11 (I have that) but I've never used it.
TrackIR 5. It will change your simming experience.

Use your hat or space + mouse to move yer head about in the canopy. ctrl + enter + shift + backspace as move tools.

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

i would say get Ezdok as its a much more flexible system then the default views. It allows you to bind views to you joysticks etc. Move views on the fly and also lets you set some movement effects which you can tune yourself so they are to your liking.

Just get used to flying the default planes in VC at first... Use space and mouse to look around at first and same as you did with 2D practice.John Ellison

kirk definitely Track IR .... but then you'll find (evolve into) a need for extra buttons than what you have on 1 joystick - to at least operate the many AFDS switches to use Track IR to its potential. in this, i found the Logitech G13 a good compromise - compared with the VRInsight hardware.

for now, cheers

john martin

Just the joystick hat will be fine to start with, and is cost free. I still often use it when I can't be bothered setting up Track IR.

Paul Skol

I still use nothing other than a trusty logitech joystick, though TrackIR would be nice if I could afford it. I was on the fence regarding 2D vs VC about 3 years ago and finally decided I would spend a few months flying nothing but VC. I've never been able to go back to 2D since. I use the hat switch on my joystick to look around the cockpit, and if I'm flipping switches on the other side I just zoom in with the + key. Very easy! I would get used to VC before worrying about new hardware purchases.

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

Thanks for the tips guys. I think long ago I looked at a VC waaaaay before current airplanes in FSX. I decided it was trash and never looked at any of them again. The MD11 was the first VC that looked interesting but the NGX is making me use the VC more so time to look at them. I'm not adding in any hardware or software as not only am I learning a new airplane, I'm learning a new way to fly too.

One of the other things you may have to get used to is the loss of framerates going from 2D to 3D - you may need to tweak your display settings to keep everything to your liking. Also, there's a known bug in FSX virtual cockpits where your mouse-cursor will cause a drop in framerates while in the 3D cockpit - it can be resolved by moving the cursor off the screen. I've also noticed having a 2D panel up (e.g. FMC) and moving the mouse-cursor on top of it resolves this issue. I see a difference of about 5-9 frames. Sam Kharey

I only ever used to fly in 2d cockpit, but once you get used to it with EZCA thrown in you will never go back to 2d, theres a much bigger sense of realism in the vc

Chris Howard

(Update) I messed with the NGX VC last night. I tried manipulating stuff like the FMC, moving the flap lever, changing the trim etc. On my pc I did experience I loss of frame rate but I'm about to do a major upgrade of my pc soon so hopefully that won't be a problem. I'm getting used to it. As a devout 2D guy, this is going to take some time.

mate...purchase a TrackIR...even the TrackIR 4 - it makes using the VC an excellent experience.

I memorize key functions when using VC as using the mouse to click different items can be anoyying as the viewpoint is usually moving when the plane is. If i need to adjust something with the mouse, ill switch to 2D real quick using F9 and F10.