Sign in to follow this  
kmm

Air Traffic Control & Descending in Holding Patterns

Hey everyone,I have been enjoying the 737 NGX on mainly single-player for the past few days. The VNAV does a great job of managing your climb and descent. However, (in the UK, at least), ATC often tell you when to start descending, and you are not allowed to deviate from that altitude. Is it a case of simply disengaging the VNAV when you get ATC instructions, or have I missed a built-in feature that allows you to postpone the top of descent or descend early using the FMC? Also, it is possible to have the VNAV incorporate some of the descent profile into a holding pattern? If I have overlooked something in one of the manuals then please do not hesitate to point it out to me Thanks again

You have option DESCEND NOW somewhere in desc page that will override automatic T/D assumption and start your descend when you press that button, but you can expect very low rate of descend if you continue on VNAV. Other options are to use lvl change mode, or vertical speed mode. Lj. Prodanovic

I would be interested in this. The 767 I am used to has a dedicated VNAV button on the CDU and on page 2 of that function there is a 'descend now' option.

If ATC have assigned a descent point earlier with a restriction - you can enter that into the FMC - which will move the T/D closer. It's quite rare to hear "Descend now, FL150 level SABER" - more common is "Descend when ready, FL150, be level by SABER" VNAV will stop at whatever the MCP altitude is set to - so if you are cleared FL100 to hold, set 100, engage VNAV, probably enter FL100 as your restriction at the holding fix. When you reach the holding fix - you'll enter ALT HOLD - and LNAV will turn you in the hold .... Then you can step down each level in the hold using LVL CH or V/S or whichever vertical mode you prefer - you could use a VNAV profile I guess - but it would be more work to enter all the info - you may as well use LVL CHNG. Hope this helps:) Chris.

Thanks for the responses guys, and I will be sure to read that section of the FCOM.On the topic of the holding pattern, I'm sure I've seen something saying TGT ALT or similar. Does this reference the target altitude on which to leave the hold (or enter the hold)? thanks.

Hey everyone,I have been enjoying the 737 NGX on mainly single-player for the past few days. The VNAV does a great job of managing your climb and descent. However, (in the UK, at least), ATC often tell you when to start descending, and you are not allowed to deviate from that altitude. Is it a case of simply disengaging the VNAV when you get ATC instructions, or have I missed a built-in feature that allows you to postpone the top of descent or descend early using the FMC? Also, it is possible to have the VNAV incorporate some of the descent profile into a holding pattern? If I have overlooked something in one of the manuals then please do not hesitate to point it out to me Thanks again
DES NOW Is located in the DES Page (press DES) at 6R...Additionally if your decrease the MCP ALT while in CRZ and press ALT INTV (intervention) you will also go into DES NOW mode. DES Page will now become ACT ECON DES (if in ECON mode) and show you the distance to the "original" ToD. In a DES HOLD the airplane in VNAV will descend in VNAV SPD. In general if no speed restriction is entered the best HOLD SPEED will automatically be calculated (based on weight, density altitude and a few other parameters).

====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

====================================

Not sure if this helps because I've never used the FSX ATC, but Radar Contact gives you a crossing restriction on approach. I create a waypoint with an altitude restriction at the required distance from the crossing point which then allows VNAV to calculate your descent.