Sign in to follow this  
cj-ibbotson

Controller Sensitivities / Deadzones

Guys, Have any of you modified your controller settings? I have Saitek Proflight yoke and additional throttle quadrant. I applaud PMDG on this amazing aircraft but have always been curious how any aircrafts flight model can be deemed accurate when there's so many different controllers and settings within each. I have zero deadzones and sensitivities are set on full but last night the 738 was banking like an F16 which doesnt seem right :( Any advice guys? Chris Ibbotson

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

I'm surprised no one commented on this as yoke deadzones and sensitivies have a major impact of the feel and realism of the aircraft and wondered what others had, or even the developers felt was accurate. I'm using Saitek Proflight yoke and additional throttle quadrant Chris Ibbotson

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

Chris why don't you use FSUIPC it has loads of features for controllers.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Chris why don't you use FSUIPC it has loads of features for controllers.
Is your name Bruce hahaI do have FSUIPC and use it to calibrate my controllers as the ailerons often run a little wild and windows calibration doesnt work. I just wish I knew how big to make the deadzone etc as it can be too sensitive and turn like a fighter jet if set incorrectly Chris Ibbotson

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

Bravo!! I have been saying this all along! How can a joystick be compared to a real yoke mounted in a scale simpit!? Cracks me up how people say it feels real while flying a Boeing with a side stick! LOL I went from my saitek yoke to a homemade yoke that has exact movement range per Boeing manuals. BIG difference! Nuff said.

Bravo!! I have been saying this all along! How can a joystick be compared to a real yoke mounted in a scale simpit!? Cracks me up how people say it feels real while flying a Boeing with a side stick! LOL I went from my saitek yoke to a homemade yoke that has exact movement range per Boeing manuals. BIG difference! Nuff said.
Hey show me how you made that yoke please please.
Is your name Bruce hahaI do have FSUIPC and use it to calibrate my controllers as the ailerons often run a little wild and windows calibration doesnt work. I just wish I knew how big to make the deadzone etc as it can be too sensitive and turn like a fighter jet if set incorrectly Chris Ibbotson
there is a calibration setting in FSUIPC , are you talking about that ? And my name is not Bruce biggrin.png but he rocks.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

When you set the Joystick/Yoke in FSX, the "SENSITIVITY" is "Rate of Change" sensitivity, not "Deflection" sensitivity. If you set the sensitivity lower, the response time is lower, but the control surface will still eventually move to the same position, as it would if you set the sensitivity to high. ieLOW sensitivity = damped response -- SLOW to respond = LUMBERING 747HIGH sensitivity = instant response = Extra 300 So you have some control here, to DAMP down the planes response -- The Question is, what is a REALISTIC setting, and how much does PMDG reduce the response in their air file, and how much should your FSX "sensitivity" contribute. I would recommend minimum "DEAD ZONE"... unless you want to simulate "Slack Control cables", or "Air in your Hydraulics" !! ========= There is an OPTIONAL setting you can add to your FSX.CFG, that will change the "Sensitivity" form the default "rate of change" sensitivity, to actual "deflection sensitivity" If you set this, the , say you set the Sensitivity to 50%, then, for Max deflection of your controller, you will only gte 50% deflection of your control surface.==========================Under[CONTROLS] add stick_sensitivity_mode=0========================= Try it set this way in the Extra 300, and try an "8 point Roll" -- Magic !! Instant response, no more "Slack - Elastic band, control cables " !! WELCOME to a whole NEW SIM !!! Geoff

Even though you are using FSUIPC for fine tuning your yoke, you may want to either google this or do some Flight Sim forum searches for details but killing all axis assignments in FSX's setting's panel and soley using FSUIPC's axis assignment/calibration tool, you'll find a much more realistic and smooth axis function. Do this with your rudder pedals as well as any throttle quads you may be using too, you'll see a significant improvement on control surface precision meaning it'll eliminate all control spiking. Rob

Even though you are using FSUIPC for fine tuning your yoke, you may want to either google this or do some Flight Sim forum searches for details but killing all axis assignments in FSX's setting's panel and soley using FSUIPC's axis assignment/calibration tool, you'll find a much more realistic and smooth axis function. Do this with your rudder pedals as well as any throttle quads you may be using too, you'll see a significant improvement on control surface precision meaning it'll eliminate all control spiking. Rob
Google WHAT ? Geoff

For sure everyone here suggests to calibrate our joystick with FSUIPC, but what about the introduction manual where PMDG suggests to not use FSUIPC as some beta testers got problems with it?So which settings do we have to use and are the most realistic for the NGX ?

Thanks I'll give those suggestions a go. Raoul I appreciate it says avoiding calibrating using FSUIPC in the manual but every so often my yoke needs calibrated as it goes off centre, unplugging it doesnt help and using MS calibration doesnt work either. I have my axis listed in FSUIPC and use that normally without a deadzone. Chris Ibbotson

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

Throttle through FSUIPC might break some things, e. g. inhibit throttle movement when AT engaged. If the throttle axis is run through FSUIPC, throttle movement is not being inhibited despite of an active inhibit setting. For all the rest of the control axis, I've not run into any problems using FSUIPC.

Dave P. Woycek

I have a 3 slider throttle setup (throttle, mixture, prop) on my CH Eclipse Yoke. By default, does the mixture axis control the reversers on the NGX? On my rig it seems to... However, when I physically pull back the mixture 100%, in the sim the reversers start to activate, but they only seem to get to about 80%. So I still need to hit F2 once or twice to fully engage them. What the easiest way to get the Mixture (or Prop) axis to correctly engage the reversers?

<--------------->
Mike Murawski

Hi Geoff, let me see if ive understood. i have to set DEAD ZONE to 0 and then add the stick_sensitivity_mode=0 inside my fsx.cfg right? its ok this setting for the 757 too?

Hi Geoff, let me see if ive understood. i have to set DEAD ZONE to 0 and then add the stick_sensitivity_mode=0 inside my fsx.cfg right? its ok this setting for the 757 too?
Re-read my post and make sure you fully understand what stick_sensitivity_mode=0 does. As far as any particulat setting being "OK", it really depends on many things. (1) What did the developer assume your settings are.(2) What did the developer simulate as far as response time is concerned. Take an EXTRA 300. Joystick connected to control surgaces with Cables (or Rods ?).The faster you move the Joystick, the faster the control surfaces move. Now takesomething like a 747, where the control surfaces are driven by hydraulics, or electric motors, or whatever, and have considerabel inertia.If you move the "Joystick/yoke", with a suddent large movement (Step Input), the Control surfaces will take a finite time to move, and may in fact have their response slowed down and optimized by the developer. This is what the normal mode FSX joystick simulates. The LOWER the sensitivity, the LOWER the response time. So, the question is, what Sensitivity in FSX ( response time), did the developers assume, when they modeled the overall response time of their control systems ? ( many may not have .. I suspect PMDG did ? ) If you do not include stick_sensitivity_mode=0 , then you have some control over the RESPONSE time.If you DO include stick_sensitivity_mode=0 , then you have control over the maximum deflection. Note: Reducting the Max Deflection may not be a good idea, as you may need the MAX deflection under certain circumstances, such as when flaring etc. ==========The bottom like is, it's up to you....For the EXTRA, I would recommend stick_sensitivity_mode=0 ( deadband = 0, sensitivity = max)Makes for a RESPONSIVE aircarft, whidh is what the Extra 300 is. For a 747, you may not want such a fast response time, ... If you understand what is going on, then YOU can make the decisions that ebst suite your Simulation needs. Personally, I choose to run with stick_sensitivity_mode=0 , deadband =0, sensitivity = max.This seem to be fine for most aircarft, as far as I am concerned.