Sign in to follow this  
Chris_FL

Flight Planning help

Greetings! I'm wondering if some of the experts can help point me in the right direction of planning flights. I would like to mimic the flight of SWA2892 (KFLL to KMCO) . According to Flight Aware the flight plan is: ARKES1 ARKES J113 LLNCH BAIRN2, but when I plug this into the FMC I get a route disconnect between LLNCH and BAIRN2. Where am I going wrong with this? Also, is there a way to find the expected runways for take offs and landings of these flights? Thanks in advance, Chris

Take the route you got from flightaware(ARKES1 ARKES J113 LLNCH BAIRN2) and go to http://www.simroutes.com. Click on the "Generate Routes" link at the top of the page. Paste the copied route from flightaware into the Route textfield. Fill in the departure and arrival airports as well as SIDs/STARs if applicable. Then click on the "Generate Route" button. On the Flight Details page, select your aircraft type. Under the "Dispatch" section, select what format flight plan you would like to download and then click "Download Flight Plan" button. I generate a FSX and PMDG version. The FSX version should go into your FSX flight plan directory(by default it is c:\Users\<your user name>\Documents\Flight Simulator Files). The PMDG rte file should go into <FSX root>\PMDG\Flightplans\NGX directory. Fire up FS and in the NGX CDU go to the RTE page. Enter KFLLKMCO in the "scratch pad" area of the CDU and then click on the soft key next to Company route(3rd one from top on the left I think?). That will automatically load the flight plan into the CDU. You will have to activate it and enter fuel, payload, etc. But that should get you the route. As for what runways, check the various weather sites for weather at the destination and then you can figure out a runway to expect based on winds. I use www.airnav.com. Hope that helps.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Take the route you got from flightaware(ARKES1 ARKES J113 LLNCH BAIRN2) and go to http://www.simroutes.com. Click on the "Generate Routes" link at the top of the page. Paste the copied route from flightaware into the Route textfield. Fill in the departure and arrival airports as well as SIDs/STARs if applicable. Then click on the "Generate Route" button. On the Flight Details page, select your aircraft type. Under the "Dispatch" section, select what format flight plan you would like to download and then click "Download Flight Plan" button. I generate a FSX and PMDG version. The FSX version should go into your FSX flight plan directory(by default it is c:\Users\<your user name>\Documents\Flight Simulator Files). The PMDG rte file should go into <FSX root>\PMDG\Flightplans\NGX directory. Fire up FS and in the NGX CDU go to the RTE page. Enter KFLLKMCO in the "scratch pad" area of the CDU and then click on the soft key next to Company route(3rd one from top on the left I think?). That will automatically load the flight plan into the CDU. You will have to activate it and enter fuel, payload, etc. But that should get you the route. As for what runways, check the various weather sites for weather at the destination and then you can figure out a runway to expect based on winds. I use www.airnav.com. Hope that helps.
Sounded great, but those SIDS and STARS always ruin it for me. ;) I tried to see what that site made of the tutorial route (EGKK EHAM) but since no SIDS and STARS are added automatically, you end up with a rather useless direct to route... Think it's time to have a look at FSCommander where you can check out each SID and STAR... ;)