Sign in to follow this  
Jacoba

Is Flight1 getting into the X-Plane add-on business?

Rumors are out there, a big player is making the move into the world of X-Plane add-on's. Will it be Flight1? Praying.gif

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

If it is, it'll be the SECOND big MSFS developer coming to x-plane. There is another one that is making the move as well.It's going to get VERY big in x plane in the coming months. Good competition.

If we get Xplane instead of Flight, the community could access the developers much easier than it can now. Microsoft would never think of writing in the avsim forums or even look at it. XPlane developers do contact their customers more directly and maybe finally will ask US what WE want.

It's a shame it took big developers and simmers this long to see x-planes capability as a flight simulator. Now I guess we'll see which developers will make the move, which ones will stay with Flight and which ones will go back on their word when they said "We will never go to x-plane because X-Plane does not allow us the flexibility that MSFS does." Not to mention the x-plane communities reception to those FSX developers that constantly criticized x-plane.The next few months will be very interesting indeed.

Well, its great news. I guess we can speculate all day long about whom it will be... Goran by the tone of your posts it seems you know who it is. The information I received said it was a very large developer, so that kinda narrows it down to 2 or 3 in my book. Hopefully we'll see an announcement soon. I firmly believe that a serious player should announce their intentions to develop for X-Plane. One of the biggest reason folks resist making the switch from MSFS to XP has to do with the lack of highend developers. Once its know that someone like F1, PMDG or the like is in the water then you'll see many more buying XP just to take advantage of their products. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long... getting that kind of information out there will only ensure this mystery developer will have a nice crowd awaiting the arrival of their maiden product(s)

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

A few developers have known about this for quite a while. Perhaps I can give you a clue.This company makes good AEROplanes and good SOFTware. I would rather not make mention of anything else other than this...http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php/topic/46965-aerosoft-x-plane-10/ Like I said before, good competition.Going by the rumblings among the developer community, it looks as though Flight will now have to work hard to keep up with XP10

It would be important to know how deep and how fast AS will be diving into the XP10 market. At least one or two of the following developers would be needed to complete a full switch from FSX to XP10: PMDG, Flight 1, FSDT, FlyTampa, ORBX or Level-D. What we already have is weather/texture by REX and GA aircraft by Carenado. Cannot think of more at the moment. It is not about what XP has to offer in general, it is about what we want. I have given up hope that MS will ever start to think of "how can we open our code for developers" or "let's think of systems available in less than five years". With XP we would get a listening partner in development and not a team far away without a forum.

EricSomething to consider. The development houses you mention cannot just up and move to x plane. X Plane is a completely new platform to work on. If PMDG decided to start developing for X Plane and their first project was the 737 they just finished. They would have to code the entire thing from scratch as well as make an entirely new flight model and even add code into the flight model. The FMC alone would take a large part of their time. That's about 2-4 years worth of development. And even before they do that, they have to learn the X-Plane SDK. I've been involved in x plane development for over 2 years and I'm still learning the SDK.If FlyTampa decided to come over, they would have to learn how to make scenery specifically for x plane. Making mesh and textures is the easy part. Placing them in X-Plane is a totally different matter.BUT, we will see what happens. Like I said, a very interesting few months are ahead.We can say one thing for certain...XP10 will certainly make a big impact in the sim world and MSFS developers will definitely start taking notice. The fact Aerosoft are developing for it is enough to start some major rumblings.In saying all that, I'd like to think the top tier x plane developers are skilled enough to make add ons to get people to switch. Just look at the CRJ-200, MU2, upcoming 737-300 and Saab 340 and a few others.

If it is AS, this is not big news because they announced that a bit ago.

If it is AS, this is not big news because they announced that a bit ago.
The person who told me just said the same thing in an email.

So what will be the big news if they already announced the news weeks ago? Or are you just trying to get everyone up to date?

So what will be the big news if they already announced the news weeks ago? Or are you just trying to get everyone up to date?
Well, trying to find out who this "mystery developer" really is... Is it AS or some other DEV who has yet to make any public announcement. Rumors were flying earlier this week it might be F1 after some began talking about a "major player" in the MSFS add on market getting into the XP game. The whole AS thing as far as I was concerned was old news, I think most have forgotten about them.

Mcphat studios is also working on an ATR for X-Plane.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

every new version of Xplane has promise .. but to date, none of the versions have truly delivered a product superior to MSFS.