Sign in to follow this  
Helge Rasmussen

Descend too early

Hi,ATC likes to order me to descend way too early. The other day I was told to descend so far from the airport that I cruised the last 100 nm or so at 6000 ft.Is there a way to avoid that? Helge

Helge Rasmussen

Helge,This never happens to me. What FSX aicraft do you fly? Flightplan? Cruise altitude?

I have the same problem. Yesterday, I was cleared from FL390 down to 6000 in one shot at about 200 miles from my destination. I just ignored it until I got to my TD. I know that's not the way it should be done. I'm not sure why the descent clearance is done all at one time. Usually, you will be given a step descent. Otherwise the ATC was very good on this flight. I was using the PMDG NGX, BTW.

NAX669.png

Hi,I think this was it: Liverpool - Bratislava FL 370 EGGP DESIG MAMUL LAMIX AMVEL DOLAS ENITO DIBAL BUKUT LAMSO EVELI BASNO SUPAM SOGPO TEBRO KOMOT GMH TESGA ESATI LOHRE OSBIT RASPU BOREP BAMAS KEPOM ENITA ETVIS VADOV BUDEX GIMBO LADAG LZIB I flew the iFly737-700

Helge Rasmussen

I can't say I recall this happening - or at least to the point where it ever became obnioxous. When I've been up in Class A, I can't think when I haven't been given step descents. Granted the initial descent often occurs before what my EFB or FMC would have as my Top of Descent, but I simply monitor my airspeed and set my vspeed to what my EFB tells me I need to be at for its next required crossing altitude and I have little to complain about. I don't know what factors may play into VoxATC's determination, but what traffic densisty are you gentlemen using? I have a little utility that sets mine randomly depending on a few factors, but when I check afterwards to see what I was, it's usually in the 40-80 percent range. (So I wouldn't think that would have a great impact....)

Mine is also set to 50%.

NAX669.png

I did a flight this evening from Malmo to Stockholm at FL300. Atc cleared me for descent about 20 miles from my TD which wasn't too bad. They cleared me from fl300 to 6000 ft. Directly.

NAX669.png

Interesting, I've only just found this problem too, also with the NGX so far. Last night I was doing a flight from Liverpool to Shannon and around 150nm away (way before TD) I was instructed to descend from FL340 to FL90. Always had a step down before IIRC. Chris

Today I took my 738 with 58% traffic on KMIA EONNS1 EONNS A509 ELLEE B646 FIS G765 MAXIM UG765 URKOS UR506 CUPTE MMUN at FL320 and received the initial descent call at about 125nm from the airport to descend to FL220 - I hit that at NUKAN (96.2nm out), then was told to drop to 13000, then 6000, then I guided myself down to intercept ILS 12R at 2400. Easy peasy lemon squeezy... except for the bumpy landing. (A nasty thunderstorm if that matters.) I do notice different behaviors at different times... I can't say what the reasons are though, but it seems realistical enough for someone whose never had the controls above 8000....