Sign in to follow this  
royski

How to perform an autoland

Hi all! Based on the past few days of flight testing and learning about the NGX, I successfully made an autoland and put the necessary steps in mind. I would like to share such to my fellow NGX pilots to clarify and clear their doubts. I'm not a real world pilot nor an "expert" but this information may help you. Here are two screenshots of my flight from SPIM-MPTO on final. 5d2pzo.jpg The FMA and ND displays have been in "zoom mode" for clarity purposes. 2rcbtc9.jpg Autolanding sequence (important points only): 1. Place plane on landing configuration; gear down, spoilers, armed, autobrakes armed, flaps deployed in relation to final speed in FMC. Personally I use Vref + 5 as my final speed. 2. Verify that both FDs are active. 3. Make sure that BOTH NAV1 and NAV2 radios are tuned to the same ILS frequency. As per the manual, this is required for a dual AP autoland. 4. There is NO NEED to set the final rwy course as this will happen automatically once the LAND 3 mode is activated. 5. Upon glideslope intercept, engage the second AP, and the APP light will extinguish. "LAND 3" mode should appear in the FMA. Flare and rollout modes will be armed. Note: You will NOT be able to engage the second AP before the g/s intercept. 6. Make sure that the heading selector is set to runway heading and altitude is set to the missed approach altitude, in case of a go-around. 7. At this time, the final course will be shown on BOTH captain and F/O course displays. This is now "locked" and you cannot adjust the course value manually. 8. On final descent, your will hear the altitude callouts (as set in options menu in FMC). 9. Just before touchdown, flare mode becomes active and rollout mode will follow. At this time, engage reverse thrust and verify that spoilers have been deployed. 10. Autobrakes will also kick in and at 80 kts place the thurst levers in idle. At 40-60 kts, press and HOLD the period key (for 1-2 secs) TWICE disengage the autobrakes. 11. Exit the active runway and perform the after landing checklist.

I refer your autoland procedure,but i can't see LAND3 in PFD after push second AP.Only got FLARE,ROLLOUT not appear.And i practice at Auckland airport.Any suggest?

I found fix way by search in forum,just need set fail Pass turn to fail op.

Thanks Man!! Really nicely explained!!
You're welcome! Glad to help...
I found fix way by search in forum,just need set fail Pass turn to fail op.
Correct! Have fun!

Thank you for the information. The serious kicker is, I was doing just that, and it still was disconnecting the autopilot before landing. I will give it another go on my next flight from KTPA - KFLL tomorrow. Thanks for the tutorial, it was very informative to all.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

I've never done a fail-operational auto-land (only a few airlines have that equipment), but on the fail-passive planes you don't have to wait for G/S to have the 2nd A/P on. On the auto-lands I've flown, the 2nd A/P is armed on the intercept heading.

Matt Cee

I've never done a fail-operational auto-land (only a few airlines have that equipment), but on the fail-passive planes you don't have to wait for G/S to have the 2nd A/P on. On the auto-lands I've flown, the 2nd A/P is armed on the intercept heading.
In the case of the PMDG 747, can engage the 2nd AP even after localizer capture. In the case the of NGX that is not possible - the 2nd AP engages after the G/S capture. I've tried this many times.Another important item, make sure the NGX is setup as follows: scgpxd.jpg

I followed these instructions, and the LAND3 went flawlessly this time. If the autobrake isnt set, will it not properly do the LAND3?

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

I followed these instructions, and the LAND3 went flawlessly this time. If the autobrake isnt set, will it not properly do the LAND3?
The autobrake system is another matter. But of course, like in RW flying, pilots DO set the autobrakes to drop the speed ASAP.

I refer your autoland procedure,but i can't see LAND3 in PFD after push second AP.Only got FLARE,ROLLOUT not appear.And i practice at Auckland airport.Any suggest?
You're flying a livery that has FAIL PASSIVE AUTOLAND enabled instead of FAIL OPERATIONAL. Most airlines do not have FAIL OPERATIONAL. FAIL OP is like the 744, 777, 757/767 etc - you get full ROLLOUT guidance etc (this is the Cat-IIIB capability that was added to the NG as an option - you need the Collins MCP, the ISFD to use it)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

You're flying a livery that has FAIL PASSIVE AUTOLAND enabled instead of FAIL OPERATIONAL. Most airlines do not have FAIL OPERATIONAL. FAIL OP is like the 744, 777, 757/767 etc - you get full ROLLOUT guidance etc (this is the Cat-IIIB capability that was added to the NG as an option - you need the Collins MCP, the ISFD to use it)
Thanks a lot.