Sign in to follow this  
gabor1

HOW TO RESIZE TAXIWAY and APRON LIGHTS IN FSX?

Hello, does anyone know how to resize (in my case make them smaller and dimmer) the taxiway/apron lights in fsx?I found a very useful text to use in fsx.cfg but this does not speak about taxiways. My problem is that I run fsx on 3 displays and by default all the runway and taxiway lights are too big, shining too strong..the airports look like christmas trees...not too natural. The commands below have solved the problem on the runways (I use a scale of 0,6), but the taxiways and aprons have stayed oversized and overlit. Does anybody know what is the right textmode to write into fsx.cfg file? These are the ones for resizing the runway lights,-work perfectly. RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=XX //scales edge,center,end,touchdown,runwaysRUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=XX //scales VASI lights)RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=XX //scales approach light barsRUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=XX //scales RAILs and ODALs) thanks, Gabor

From reading your post, I assume that you have solved your problem with runway lighting. I might also point out that different airports have different runway light intensities, and this is adjustable between low, medium and high in the airport file. Apron light brightness and spacing are also adjustable in individual airport files, but I don't know of a way to adjust taxiway light brightness or spacing globally or for an individual airport. A program such as Airport Design Editor is capable of making the preceeding described changes.

Art

ADE can change the lighting color intensity and spacing of apron lights on an airport by airport basis. The code it uses is courtesy of Don Grovestine (gadgets). However that is not practical if you want to change all airports in the sim

Thank you Jon ! I am fully amateur in airport desing issues...I just would like to fly to airports at night, that look natural,,, I can change the settings one by one for the airports I visit more often..So if you could help me a bit more...: what is ADE and where I can find the code you mentioned?On the other hand I wonder why you can change the runway lights`s intensity for the whole sim in fsx.cfg file, but not the taxiways at all? br Gabor

Thank you Jon ! I am fully amateur in airport desing issues...I just would like to fly to airports at night, that look natural,,, I can change the settings one by one for the airports I visit more often..So if you could help me a bit more...: what is ADE and where I can find the code you mentioned?On the other hand I wonder why you can change the runway lights`s intensity for the whole sim in fsx.cfg file, but not the taxiways at all? br Gabor
Mouse click on the "Airport Design Editor" in Jon's signature. Your question about the fsx.cfg file is a good one, worth an answer from someone in the know.

Art

Art has answered on where to get ADE. As for your question on why some things can be done through the cfg file and others not. My thought would be that these things happen!. What do I mean, Well applications like FS develop through many versions. As time goes by so new features are added and old ones depreciated. The developers may have intended to put more into the cfg file or perhaps remove stuff but never got the time to do it. I am always finding things in ADE that I forgot we did, or worse, can't remember why we did it!