Sign in to follow this  
B777ER

I am unsure how to operate the HGS FPV

For some reason I have made a few approaches now and cannot seem to be getting the proper prcedure correct for the HGS. I have the correct ILS freq and course selected. I put the HUD in IMC, input the correct RWY elevation and length. The FPV circle comes no were close to being near the runway though. If I try to keep the velocity vector over it, I am not coming anywhere close the runway. The FPV eventually catches up to it but I am very close the runway by the time it does. Can someone tell me what setting I am screwing up? [Editor's Note]: Eric- your title presumed a problem with the HGS which is not supported based on the information you provided. I have changed the title as such.

Eric 

I have yet to do a HUD approach, I will try and see how it goes. VRTodd

ATP MEL

Commercial SEL

B-747, BE-300, BE-400, DHC8, ERJ 170/190, MU-300

C-17A Globemaster III

Hey people, you've gotta realize the 2D HUGS might be problematic in this regard. In order to operate it correctly and align it with the outside scenery, you have to make sure it

• is set to a 1.00x zoom level
  • has the same aspect ratio as the gauge file (might be trial and error).

To find that out fly a steady turn at say 30° bank and adjust the FSX window size so the HUGS horizon would coincide with the outside one. Zooming the window will immediately give erronous indications as you're practically changing the projection of the outside scenery, but the HUGS won't adapt for it. None of these problems in VC though. Hope this helps. sig.gif

I thought Iexperienced something similiar myself...in the VC. But need to test more to verify. What does fox me though, is how the lines that highlight the edge of the runway, only appear at very low altitude. Surely to be worth while, they need to highlight the runway at higher altitude. Not at the last minute. Real world videos show the lines appearing at much higher altitude. Martin Wilby

Martin- The HUD operation and performance was designed to the manufacturers specifications. I am not aware that any operator has received certification to change the visual cues for the AIII approach display. These cues are placed there to help you with the transition from IMC to VMC by helping you with greater roll and pitch awareness while within proximity to the ground. None of this is "made up" or "guesswork." It was done with documentation written by the people who built the machine.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Real world videos show the lines appearing at much higher altitude.
Alright I wanna see that. For me the bars come up at 300 RA as per the manual. wink.pngsig.gif

None of this is "made up" or "guesswork".
Oh yes, absolutely, i didn't suggest it was "made up" or "guesswork". Bugs are a fact of life, and I wondered if that was the case hear. But fair enough chaps. If it's to spec, I can't argue with that. Kiss.gif I'll check regarding the real world video i mention. I may have been mistaken. In which case I will retract my claim faster than a speeding bullet. Martin Wilby

Oh yes, absolutely, i didn't suggest it was "made up" or "guesswork". Bugs are a fact of life, and I wondered if that was the case hear. But fair enough chaps. If it's to spec, I can't argue with that. Kiss.gif I'll check regarding the real world video i mention. I may have been mistaken. In which case I will retract my claim faster than a speeding bullet. Martin Wilby
I'll save you the time of watching the video, and instead refer you to the manual everyone else got the information from. :(

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Which HGS is this in? 2D full HGS view or VC HGS? I'm experiencing the same thing in the 2D HGS, but not in the VC.
This is in VC. I found this post from July where Ryan explained what I am talking about to another member: snapback.pngJDHK, on 19 July 2011 - 08:36 PM, said: Hi gents. I have another question regarding this: I have seen another circle in the flight path vector my question is: Wath does it mean? Thank you.Jorge Escobar. That's how you follow flight director commands on the HUD - you maneuver the airplane so that the command circle is inside the flight path vector. What I highlighted in red is what I am having trouble with. The command circle is dancing all over the place on the HUD. It only settles down very close to the runway. If I try to follow it by keeping the flight patch vector over it I wind up going way above the G/S and off the LOC.

Eric 

Hey people, you've gotta realize the 2D HUGS might be problematic in this regard. In order to operate it correctly and align it with the outside scenery, you have to make sure it
  • is set to a 1.00x zoom level
  • has the same aspect ratio as the gauge file (might be trial and error).

To find that out fly a steady turn at say 30° bank and adjust the FSX window size so the HUGS horizon would coincide with the outside one. Zooming the window will immediately give erronous indications as you're practically changing the projection of the outside scenery, but the HUGS won't adapt for it. None of these problems in VC though. Hope this helps. sig.gif

The OP's problem is different than mine. I've done all you've suggested already and still get an off center velocity vector and runway lines that are at a 15-20 degree angle to the runway in moderate wind conditions. This does not apply to the VC, as the HGS is working properly there.

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

I'll save you the time of watching the video, and instead refer you to the manual everyone else got the information from. tongue.png
Cute response, well done! I have read the manuals, just as I have with every add-on I've ever bought. I've actually been doing this stuff since the Sinclair Spectrum. [When you were just a twinkle in your mothers eye] But with a severe sacroiliac injury and a herniated disk, I can't spend as much time as you sitting down. I often resort to standing up in front of my PC or painfully kneeling down. Therefore, if I have missed the relevant information in the manual, I beg your forgivenss. And, as usual, PMDG have been generous enough to provide a multitude of fact filled pages for our perusal. Martin Wilby

Cute response, well done! I have read the manuals, just as I have with every add-on I've ever bought. I've actually been doing this stuff since the Sinclair Spectrum. [When you were just a twinkle in your mothers eye] But with a severe sacroiliac injury and a herniated disk, I can't spend as much time as you sitting down. I often resort to standing up in front of my PC or painfully kneeling down. Therefore, if I have missed the relevant information in the manual, I beg your forgivenss. And, as usual, PMDG have been generous enough to provide a multitude of fact filled pages for our perusal. Martin Wilby
Relax, Martin. You may be older and wiser. That's fine! I'm glad!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules