Sign in to follow this  
Guest dlrk

I really don't want to complain, but I don't like constant wheel well fires for no good reason

Guest dlrk

When a sudden windshift occurs, a wheel well fire warning occurs due to excessive brake heat. This may be related to ASX. Please acknowledge this bug and plan a fix.

hm. only had 1 wheel well fire which was on purpose when I applied full throttle, kept pressing the breakes until temperature level reached 10.0 and then took off and immediately retracted the gear. besides that, never such failure so far and I use also ASE. and I recall quite a few sudden wind shifts. well, maybe not as strong or sudden as yours.

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

When a sudden windshift occurs, a wheel well fire warning occurs due to excessive brake heat. This may be related to ASX. Please acknowledge this bug and plan a fix.
Daryll- Before you can order me to do anything- you are going to have to provide better information than you just did. A bit of curiosity into what causes the issue might also be refreshing. I can appreciate that it is easier to demand that I fix whatever problem is bugging you, but what shall we do in the instance that the problem is caused by you? Something to think about before ordering me or anyone else around. If you are experiencing a wheel well fire warning in flight, it is because the brakes have over-temped and then you have retracted them into the gear bay. It takes quite a bit of time for the heating process to to soak the wheels, tires and surrounding environment to the point where the temperature is sufficient to trip the detection loops located in the wheel well. (You can read about these in the FCOM, Vol 2 if you are interested.) This is why the warning tends to come "during flight" and is not immediate as some users would expect. So what we need to determine is: Why are daryll's brakes overheating? There are a couple of reasons this might happen, but I would put suspicion on your flight control hardware. You MAY have a control axis defined that is "dragging" the brakes during taxi and takeoff- thus imparting a tremendous amount of heat energy into the pads/wheels. Pull up the brake temp indication and watch it closely during your next flight. Keep in mind that the 0 is about 350 degrees, and the 10.0 is upward of 1500 degrees. (This is from memory- I am slightly off on both ends I am sure). Also- take a look at your FAILURES page. If you have a failure stored that is set to trigger a brake overtemp and you re-load that saved flight every time- you are going to get the overtemp every time... So in short: I have seen one or two customer reports similar to yours- but when we research them we have found that it was hardware misconfiguration causing the overheat, or a saved error state that was re-triggering. Hope that helps!

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

There most certainly is NO SUCH "BUG" Darrol. I have two sets of brake pedals; CH and Saitek. When I use the CH pedals, I get similar issues to what you describe UNTIL I use FSUIPC to CORRECTLY callibrate them. In FSUIPC, I found the best method is to select the 'reverse input' box brfore setting the callibration.

There most certainly is NO SUCH "BUG" Darrol. I have two sets of brake pedals; CH and Saitek. When I use the CH pedals, I get similar issues to what you describe UNTIL I use FSUIPC to CORRECTLY callibrate them. In FSUIPC, I found the best method is to select the 'reverse input' box brfore setting the callibration.
That's exactly how I configure my CH pedals.

There is typically some travel on the brake pedals, before the brakes start to function.( start dragging)That travel can either be part of the Aircraft simulation of the brakes, or externally simulated by adding a negative calibrated region to the hardware brake (FSUIPC is one way to do that). In an idea world, the need to have to use "Registered FSUIPC" to create that offset should not be necessary. A good question would be: "In a hardware brake calibrated from 0 - 100 (arbitary units), at what point does the brake start to be applied (start dragging)" ? Hopefully its not as low as 1 :) Geoff

The CH Pedals have a tendency to apply brakes at the slightest touch, and I've even had yawing from brakes without seeing the red differential brakes message (in some add on aircraft). This ceased when I caved and purchased a registered copy of FsUIPC. Although PMDG and team advised against calibration through FSUIPC, it is necessary at least on older CH hardware brakes. PS. I also use a curve for my pedal input. That helped a lot.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

The CH Pedals have a tendency to apply brakes at the slightest touch, and I've even had yawing from brakes without seeing the red differential brakes message (in some add on aircraft). This ceased when I caved and purchased a registered copy of FsUIPC. Although PMDG and team advised against calibration through FSUIPC, it is necessary at least on older CH hardware brakes. PS. I also use a curve for my pedal input. That helped a lot.
The CH Brakes put out an increaing VALUE, throughout their travel. There is typically no DEAD SPOT at the start of the travel.It is up to the simulated aircraft to decide at what "value" travel point the aircraft will start to consider that braking action will start. It might be that some simpler stock or addon aircraft start applying brake effect as soon as there is the slightest travel (or minor calibration error) on the Pedal, but one would expect that in a more detailed simulation (such as the PMDG737), the distance berween rest and start of braking action would be simulated. Therefore, unless a hardware Pedal system is grossly out of calibration, it should work correctly, and any varying of that initial distance should not be so great, that the brakes DRAGS, as soon as they are lightly touched. ie: The Hardware Calibartion should be sufficient, and additional Software Calibration (by methods such as FSUIPC) should not be necessay. ( Neither should the the introduction of a "non-Linear" slope -- all that should be contained within the Aircraft simulation itself) Geoff

Oh. I see what you're getting at. PMDG should have designed the NGX better.Rolling%20Eyes.gif No offense, but all of the hypotheticals don't help! I'm giving workarounds and you're diluting the thread with this stuff. Again, no offense. I like to read them. But still.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I reported the same problem as Daroll without seeing his posts. I submitted a support ticket and Ryan replied back saying he will pass it on to the development team and closed the ticket. I made a post here first. http://forum.avsim.n...84#entry2049684 to see if I was doing something wrong. It happens on EVERY flight and definetly in turbulence with ASX and EZdok. I have CH Pro Pedals calibrated through their control manager and using their drivers. They work great. No brake dragging issues, no red brake message, using absolutly zero brakes on taxi off (careful throttle management), no RTOs beforehand. 0 heat on takeoff and then spike to approximately 3 then 6 and 10. All in about 30 seconds. Had the SYS page pulled up before it happened and caught it as it was happening. This was about the same point of the same flightplan for 2 flights in a row on different days (approximately 45 minutes into it) with ASX real world weather. Dropped the gear like the QRH states and flew for about 30 minutes with the gear down. Never cooled off. On my second attempt at this flightplan (KBFI-KDAL) I cleared the 2 brake failures in the CDU (can't remember off hand what they were, I'm at work, Shhh... Whistle.gif) and they came back in about 20 minutes. Didn't keep exact time. I ignored it flew the rest of my flightplan to KDAL. Decided to divert to KDFW to attempt a landing on the 13000 foot runway with them overheated to 10 expecting zero braking action. They were just as effective as if they weren't overheated at all. Stopped in the first third of the runway. "Abused" the brakes on the taxi in and they never lost their effectivity. I just learned to ignore it now. and blank out the SYS page after it happens. I hope this gives you a better idea on what Darrol's frustrations are because I know exactly what he is seeing. Thanks.

Chuck Biggins

Chuck, are you using DWC mode in ASX? (ASX has DWC like ASE does, right?) Do you have turbulence effects disabled in FSX per the intro manual? Finally, do you have wind smoothing enabled in FSUIPC? I fly with RW WX exclusively and have yet to see this terrible bug.

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Oh. I see what you're getting at. PMDG should have designed the NGX better.Rolling%20Eyes.gif
NO !! Please, I never said that. My post was in NO WAY critising PMDG for anything :) ( I don't want to get into more trouble than I am already, by being Misquoted) Maybe they have simulated all this ? Difficult to tell. I do not have CH pedals.Is brake wear simulated ? Is leakage of air into the Hydraulics simulted (spongy brakes) ?Are these corrected with maintenance ? I guess this is the sort of details that some of those that buy Advanced Aircraft are interested in. :) Do Indicator Lamp Bulbs BLOW ? Does the old 737 still use Incandescent bulbs, or have they been replaced by more efficient and reliable, and longer lasting LED equivalents. ? Too much detail -- maybe -- but once you start down the road of making a more REALISTIC simulator, where do you stop. Geoff

lol Chuck, don't miss post #11. I'm curious if it's an ASX issue as from what I've seen the people seeing the issue use ASX and not ASE.

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I am at work so I don't know without looking. I did follow the NGX introduction to the letter. I think everything was configured the way it says to before, so that should be good. The turbulence that it happens in is relatively mild. Not the 180 degree, 60 knot wind shifts. I don't have that issue. I don't believe ASX has an option for DWC, and I've been fortunate till now not to have to cave in and buy registered FSUIPC yet. Thanks, Chuck

Chuck Biggins

Guys- I highly recommend throwing your CH pedals away, and buying a set of Satiek. They seem to work very well, and mine casue no drag issues.Im also very happy with the fact that you can adjust the spring tension.

Peter Osborn