Sign in to follow this  
erict

What classic games do you think should be remade?

Think about all of those obscure titles that were huge at one time, but

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

I fondly remember the games that stole lots of time way back when: Boulder Dash and Elite for Commodore 64. Man, those were the times when the content mattered more than flashy graphics! I

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

I actually enjoyed playing Domarks(?) Harrier Sim over East Timor, easy, fun, good AI and challenging without being overwhelming by bells and whistles.Tim_757

Id like mercenary and mercenary 2 and 3 to be remade on PC.The graphics would be great...with more buildings to explore etc and a solar system to fly around and land on each planet with cities etc and cars and other transport.Would be fun again to play it.Was a classic on Atari 800, C64 then Amiga and Atari ST

Guest Matt Johnson

Anyone remember Falcon Patrol on the C64? How about Kennedy Approach? :-)Kennedy was elegant in its simplicity, and the synthesized voices were pretty derned impressive for their time. :-)Regards,--M

Star Control II from Accolade(bought by infogrames I believe), That was the first PC game where I DIDN'T turn OFF the ingame music. *:-* Hard to think of any of the real early 80's games on TRS-80, et al.Though it might be nice to see some of the old Text adventures brought to life, Like Rakka-tu, Pyramid, Umm, the one that starts ya off in the "nuthouse" forgot the name. *:-* Some of the old Mark Data Products TRS-80 COLOR GRAPHICS Adventure games like Sea Quest, Calixto Island & The Black Sanctum.Going back to the PC, Although I enjoyed it most on the C-64, 4th & inches from Accolade.And STILL to this day, my favorite Racing games which never made it to my Amiga :-mad, Test Drive II. Was only made in a PC version. That was the best, A to B to tracks. None of thise Sissyboy Circuit stuff racing over same track 3-4 laps. Believe this game was EGA and actually had to use a Slowdown Util to play it on a 286/20mhz at a reasonable rate. :-lol Game was released in 89 or so, for this time the game had incredible features! Concept cars modeled to look like the "real thing", Expressway type driving complete with cops hiding under the overpasses, Working stop lights with traffic that Obeyed the signals, Railroad crossings with working gates and a moving freight train. Weather effects such as rain and rain on the windshield, wiped of with your working windshield wipers of course! (and lightning and thunder) :D And if I'm not mistaken it had realistic car physics(atleast for late 80's) something even games like Need for Speed Hot Pursuit II can't claim. heh

Guest emergency_pants

Oh yeah, kennedy approach was a great game! But I remember it took an age to load all that speech in!And Mercenary was superb. I don't remember seeing Mercenary 2 and 3! I can't believe I missed them. What I DO remember is flying about on a piece of cheese!!! Well, it's different!Speedball II was a blast... and I think there is a remake in the works right now.Does anyone remember an Atari800/Commodore64 game set on a poisonous world, where you flew a rescue ship and had to fly around picking up downed pilots? Every now and again, an alien would walk up to your ship disguised as a pilot and try to take over your ship... or would jump up in front of your windshield and scare the crap out of you!! It was incredible for its time. Day/night cycles, amazing laser effects from distant turrets that lit up the sky at night, weather, VTOL, great sound and music. I'd really like to see something like that remade. Superb.Cheers,Simon.EDIT: Ah.. I remember, it was called "Rescue on Fractalus".Ballblazer was a great game too... I'd like to see that redone!

There are a lot of obscure titles for the C=64 that I want to see... "Project: Space Station" was a PERFECT title for a young, astronaut-in-training such as myself! (I wish) The goal was to develop a budget, assemble a crew, launch shuttles with components, clear space debris, land shuttles... all good fun! Not detailed like Virgin's "Shuttle"... Hmm! Combine the two! A high-fidelity simulation of the space shuttle, based around assembly missions to the ISS!"Ultimate Wizard" was also great - especially considering you could construct your own levels. I wasted a lot of time on those... and of course, Chuck Yeagers Advanced Flight Trainer... Flying around that Electronic Arts symbols of a cube, cone, and pyramid! (More of a nostalga post than a true contribution to the thread, but that's OK.)The old EGA turn-based strategy game "EMPIRE" is one I'd LOVE to see properly remade. The old, original one. It was fantastically addicting.

Speedball II? That rugby-style game, where you could knock out your opponents? Ahhhh.... that would be great.Classic titles that should be remade:CBM 64H.E.R.O. (the guy with a chopper on his back)ZaxxonBlue MaxPitfallFort ApocalypseImpossible Mission ('Destroy him, my robots')Elite (definitely!!)Commando (great music)AmigaShadow of the Beast I & IISpeedball IIIndy 500Oh my... trip down memory lane... I'm I getting old or what :-)

[a href=http://www.xs4all.nl/~alex4all" target="_blank]Click here for 360

I liked the release of the Arcade hit "Star Wars", which was released for the Atari ST.... Looked exactly like the Arcade version, and included such ego boosters as "Use the Force, Luke"... For some reason, I preferred its simplicty over the Star Wars series that had graced PC shelves for years.There is a large following of a program called "MAME", which exploits the ROMS of such popular arcade hits. I never got into MAME, given the somewhat warez aspect to the program. I've always wondered how someone can take an arcade box like Star Wars, and burn its ROM into a 60 or 70K file.... Something goes on there that doesn't sound quite right, eh? But one of my peers is a MAME enthusiast, and he demonstrated Star Wars as if the Arcade box were standing in front of me....It was pretty interesting....

You guys are really bringin back some great memories. Some of my past space favorites include; Stargate and Moon Patrol. Anyone remember them? Help me think of some more.