Sign in to follow this  
ADBMaster

CPU for FSX

Hey guys, So now the NGX is out, I'm considering buying a new CPU, since my current Core i2 Duo doesn't really run fsx that smooth (yes, I've tweaked quite a bit, but in the PMDG 744X I still get about 15-20 fps). So I want a new processor. I am considering the Core i7 2600K Sandy Bridge @3.4 GHz, but I don't really know what hardware would fit FSX with all sliders maxed out. Any Suggestions for a good CPU (under $350 if possible)? Thanks, Aaron

Check out my system as it´s in the spec´s. FSX runs pritty well on it. Got more than 40 FPS in average with FSXMark 11. The only thing which is pritty bad and will be changes in a few days is the PSU. Will be replaced with an 750W one.

Check out my system as it´s in the spec´s. FSX runs pritty well on it. Got more than 40 FPS in average with FSXMark 11. The only thing which is pritty bad and will be changes in a few days is the PSU. Will be replaced with an 750W one.
Yeah, read that the i5-2500K is almost equivalent to the i7-2600K so I'll do some research about that one tomorrow (23:39 over here, and just got back from vacation, so I need some sleep). And is the 40 FPS with FPS heavy aircraft like the PMDG 744? Or just in general?

Yeah, read that the i5-2500K is almost equivalent to the i7-2600K so I'll do some research about that one tomorrow (23:39 over here, and just got back from vacation, so I need some sleep). And is the 40 FPS with FPS heavy aircraft like the PMDG 744? Or just in general?
it´s according to the rules of FSXMark11 with the default 737 low flying over Boston with scenery mayed out. Just check out this link: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/329116-fsxmark11/

Yeah, read that the i5-2500K is almost equivalent to the i7-2600K so I'll do some research about that one tomorrow (23:39 over here, and just got back from vacation, so I need some sleep).
2500K is identical to the 2600K aside from hyperthreading and some extra cache used by the hyperthreading on the 2600K.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Just an advice: consider buying a top quality graphic card. Wich processor to buy really doesn't matter so much as long as you have an excelent graphic card ;)

Just an advice: consider buying a top quality graphic card. Wich processor to buy really doesn't matter so much as long as you have an excelent graphic card ;)

:::WARNING:::DISREGARD THIS POST:::WARNING::: What? You're kidding, right? This isn't the Gamespot forums, it's an FSX forum!

Doh.gif

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

FSX is a CPU KILLER game, yes you need a good GPU but a CPU is what makes FSX run!

Sorry, I didn't know FSX was so CPU demanding. Most games and simulators are GPU demanding instead of CPU demanding. Nice to know that.

Just a note to the OP: if you're going to upgrade from a Core 2 Duo to the i5 or i7, you will need a new motherboard.

Just a note to the OP: if you're going to upgrade from a Core 2 Duo to the i5 or i7, you will need a new motherboard.
Know about that, but for this topic I'm just interested about the CPU.

My father has a computer which he doesn't use that much anymore, so he suggested we switch CPU's, but I don't know if the transition from an E4600 to an E8200 will make a big difference. Will it be wearth upgrading?

What a load of C***.

i recently upgraded to a 2500k and i'm very satisfied. Usually i wanted to get myselft the i7-2600k but the price difference was too big for me, compared to the real benefits in terms of performance.

Go for the 2500k and a GA-Z68X-UD3H. You will probably need some DDR3 RAM as well. GPU wise I would recommend the GTX 560ti.