Sign in to follow this  
davidzill

Improved FPS

Is it a possibility that PMDG will include optimizations for improved FPS with a future update/ service pack? I think that would be great because I am running a 4+ghz quad core and a 580gtx with barely playable fps with most normal scenery complexity, sparse autogen, and no water effects at default airports.

My system is way less powerful than yours and I get atleast 9-14fps at a much more detailed area with higher graphic settings. You must try some of those tweaks around the FSX World for better performance. At the least try backing up your fsx.cfg and goto this website, http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html and try using the outcome. Charan

Charan Kumar
FSX/XPX vPilot
VATSIM ZOA and Oceanic Controller (Pacific)

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has - Margaret Mead

uumm, my system is i7@2.66, gtx285, 12gb ram, win7 x64 and I have just flown into aerosoft lemd 18Lwith 25 fps and totally smooth with Rex-real time weather, fspax, PFE and trackIR running.....have you optimised FSX for your system. Tweak it? Edit: as suggested before, FSX is a weird beast....I have better FPS with autogen and scenery complexity at higher settings - don't know why, but, it's true - try them at normal +. Also, with them at the lowest setting your add-on airports, if you have any, will be messed up. Chris Farrell

I get 30fps at altitude, 18-24 on approach and no more than 14-18 at flytampa airports. fsx.cfg is fully optimized and using fps limiter. 30 is barely playable, anything less looks visibly choppy. compare that to dcs a-10c with an average fps at max graphics of 60fps

30 should be fine....in fsx is it set to unlimited?..sorry if that is obvious.Chris Farrell

30 fps is fine on my rig. In fact 20 fps is still buttery smooth around airports an I only have an i7 oc'ed to 3.8GHz. I'm also running ASE, UTX, REX 2.0 and the Horizon photo scenery. It can be done! I suggest doing some reading and digging around on FSX optimisation, otherwise you wasted your money on a nice new shiny machine ;)

Ed Haslam

Is it a possibility that PMDG will include optimizations for improved FPS with a future update/ service pack? I think that would be great because I am running a 4+ghz quad core and a 580gtx with barely playable fps with most normal scenery complexity, sparse autogen, and no water effects at default airports.
Look at the set up recomendations in the PMDG intro and you can start from there. Also better performance by backing off your autogen is a falicy. It can actually 'decrease' performance. Take a look at where those sliders are in the recomended settings i mentioned before. Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Reading the various comments in this and other posts, I am puzzled when I read complaints about reduced FPS with the NGX but no mention on their observations on the smoothness of the simulation.....I have no problem with a smooth simulation at 12 FPS. I am experiencing this today with a lower-end graphics card (256 MB video memory, will upgrade) with 400X. I don't have the NGX yet (will soon, time permitting) but with the 400X I get 10-15 FPS but a very smooth simulation. It becomes visibly choppy when FPS falls below 7-8 (invariably this happens on the ground when taxiing) so the point is low FPS does not necessarily equal a choppy simulation.My question is, are there different tweaks for simulation smoothness vs. FPS ? The two do not correlate in every situation. Thanks,Zach

zachlog

Agrre with you! and most people are not aware of the fact that the human eye doesn't see any difference for anything above 25 fps!

Agrre with you! and most people are not aware of the fact that the human eye doesn't see any difference for anything above 25 fps!
It has little to do with the human eye, more fps means, faster/smoother panning and less stutter

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Reading the various comments in this and other posts, I am puzzled when I read complaints about reduced FPS with the NGX but no mention on their observations on the smoothness of the simulation.....I have no problem with a smooth simulation at 12 FPS. I am experiencing this today with a lower-end graphics card (256 MB video memory, will upgrade) with 400X. I don't have the NGX yet (will soon, time permitting) but with the 400X I get 10-15 FPS but a very smooth simulation. It becomes visibly choppy when FPS falls below 7-8 (invariably this happens on the ground when taxiing) so the point is low FPS does not necessarily equal a choppy simulation. My question is, are there different tweaks for simulation smoothness vs. FPS ? The two do not correlate in every situation. Thanks,Zach
Finally nice to see some sanity creeping into this subject. Why would somebody want 65FPS and jerk there way along the taxiway and on down the runway? My holy grail is smoooooth at 30FPS, but i'll take 25. The only way to stand a chance of doing this at the moment is, set to unlimited in FSX and externally 'LIMIT' those frames.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg