Sign in to follow this  
xxts

A couple of system issues - from another 737 driver.

Hi Ryan and the guys, long time simmer, first time poster. I'm also a 737 pilot in my day job and wanted to say firstly thank you very much for a wonderful product. Despite some issues getting the ngx to run smoothly (or at all) I seem to be almost there now. I just wanted to bring to your attention some issues I have noticed that might be added to your first service pack. I have searched the forums extensively and can't find anyone else raising these particular issues. 1) Some systems will not function until the IRS' are aligned. Eg. the autobrake cannot be selected to RTO, it just stays in self-test mode with the amber autobrake disarm light iluminated. Also the FMC will not display target descent speed until the IRS' are aligned and therefore cannot be changed until they are. This is contrary to the real aircraft and makes pre-flight a little un-realistic. The EFIS selectors (STA, APT, POS, etc) on the EFIS panel will not display on the ND until full alignment also but that is really minor. The Yaw Damper light will not extinguish until full IRS alignment. (Jeeeze, picky hey?) 2) Tuning navaids (VOR / ILS) on NAV1 or 2 seems to cause a drop in FPS and visual stuttering. Interestingly the FPS counter shows large variations in the FPS (jumps from 11 to 28 and back again in constant cycle) and I can notice a significant difference in the smoothness of the taxiing or flight. If the navs are tuned to a vor the stuttering begins, particularly when taxiing but when I de-tune the aids......smooth as silk and a beautiful ride. This is really painful because I didn't expect a visual difference between having aids tuned and not tuned. 3) I can't assign the Engine start levers to buttons on my Saitek yoke for this aircraft yet I can for any other aircraft in FSX. This is the only PMDG aircraft I have for FSX so I'm not sure if this is an old issue or not. Thanks again for your help and I hope I may have brought your attention to some previously unknown problems.

So THAT's why I couldn't get my Yaw Damper and Autobrake lights to go, here I was thinking I was doing something wrong. Guess I should read more.

Hi Ryan and the guys, long time simmer, first time poster. I'm also a 737 pilot in my day job and wanted to say firstly thank you very much for a wonderful product. Despite some issues getting the ngx to run smoothly (or at all) I seem to be almost there now. I just wanted to bring to your attention some issues I have noticed that might be added to your first service pack. I have searched the forums extensively and can't find anyone else raising these particular issues. 1) Some systems will not function until the IRS' are aligned. Eg. the autobrake cannot be selected to RTO, it just stays in self-test mode with the amber autobrake disarm light iluminated. Also the FMC will not display target descent speed until the IRS' are aligned and therefore cannot be changed until they are. This is contrary to the real aircraft and makes pre-flight a little un-realistic. The EFIS selectors (STA, APT, POS, etc) on the EFIS panel will not display on the ND until full alignment also but that is really minor. The Yaw Damper light will not extinguish until full IRS alignment. (Jeeeze, picky hey?) 2) Tuning navaids (VOR / ILS) on NAV1 or 2 seems to cause a drop in FPS and visual stuttering. Interestingly the FPS counter shows large variations in the FPS (jumps from 11 to 28 and back again in constant cycle) and I can notice a significant difference in the smoothness of the taxiing or flight. If the navs are tuned to a vor the stuttering begins, particularly when taxiing but when I de-tune the aids......smooth as silk and a beautiful ride. This is really painful because I didn't expect a visual difference between having aids tuned and not tuned. 3) I can't assign the Engine start levers to buttons on my Saitek yoke for this aircraft yet I can for any other aircraft in FSX. This is the only PMDG aircraft I have for FSX so I'm not sure if this is an old issue or not. Thanks again for your help and I hope I may have brought your attention to some previously unknown problems.
Put a support ticket in stating the issues with the systems you have found.

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

For number 3 I suggest you use LINDA. I also have a SAITEK hardware and it works like a charm...

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO

3) I can't assign the Engine start levers to buttons on my Saitek yoke for this aircraft yet I can for any other aircraft in FSX. This is the only PMDG aircraft I have for FSX so I'm not sure if this is an old issue or not.
The Engine Start levers seem to be "Customized" in the PMDG737 , so that also prevents a more SDK Standardized Throttle Quadrant being able to correctly contol the fuel cutoff levers. Hopefully, when the SDK comes out, that will make it possble for 3rd parties to control that ( and many other ) function correctly. Geoff

3) I can't assign the Engine start levers to buttons on my Saitek yoke for this aircraft yet I can for any other aircraft in FSX. This is the only PMDG aircraft I have for FSX so I'm not sure if this is an old issue or not.
YES!!! please add a hotkey command option for engine switches

John C

2) Tuning navaids (VOR / ILS) on NAV1 or 2 seems to cause a drop in FPS and visual stuttering. Interestingly the FPS counter shows large variations in the FPS (jumps from 11 to 28 and back again in constant cycle) and I can notice a significant difference in the smoothness of the taxiing or flight. If the navs are tuned to a vor the stuttering begins, particularly when taxiing but when I de-tune the aids......smooth as silk and a beautiful ride. This is really painful because I didn't expect a visual difference between having aids tuned and not tuned.
I noticed that too. It gets pretty bad once the green lines are being drawn on the moving map.

For the start levers, in the 737 FMC section I assign the engine idle levers (these are what PMDG calls the fuel switch enage levers)to Cntrl-shift D and F and the fuel cuttoff switches to Cntrl D and F. Using FSINN key mapping menu (the little stoplight thingy) I them assign these keys commands to buttons on my Saitek yoke. I do the same thing for the PMDG 747 and TO/GA button (Cntrl F1). Works great. Also did notice and wonder about the yaw damper switch.

i7 3770K HT, 8GB RAM, nVidia 980GTX, Win7, P3D 3.4, FSG mesh, UTX, GEX, ST, ASA16/ASCA, NickN optimized