Sign in to follow this  
Thomas_Kenobi

Overwing Exit Light Illuminated Problem

About an hour ago I started a flight from LEMD - Madrid Barajas to GCLP - Las Palmas in the 737-800 Air Europa variant using the short-turnaround cockpit state. Shortly after pushback and engine start I noticed that the "Left FWD Overwing" and "Right FWD Overwing" lights were illuminated in the overhead. I didn't notice exactly when this happened, only that it was after I had done a lights test. I spent about 20mins on the ground, trying to troubleshoot this by taking the following steps:

• Checked QRH, section 1.14, but it was of little help.
  • Cycled overwing exits twice. "Left & Right AFT Overwing" lights illuminated and subsequently extinguished as appropriately, but the FWD ones remained lit.
  • Checked failures submenu. No failures were active.

Unrealistically I decided to continue with my departure and monitor cabin altitude change to FL100 to ensure this was a false alarm. Very quickly after departure when I looked at the overhead again, I noticed the cautions had extinguished. This must have happened at some point between runway entry procedure and after takeoff checklist, but I don't know exactly when. Now this has left me a touch perplexed.

• This was not a transient warning. The cautions stayed illuminated for several minutes and through a couple cyclings of the respective doors. Unless I am misunderstanding something a transient warning is measured in seconds not minutes.
  • Now this looked like some kind of malfunction, but I have failures (incl. service based failures) completely disabled, so it can only have been something that I caused.

Also of note: After engine start I forgot to turn the packs back on (Boeing should really include a warning in the central DUs for this one :(). I remembered and turned them to AUTO during runway entry procedure. I don't know if this is relevant, but it pertains to plane pressurisation so I thought I'd mention it. I'm pretty sure this was not a bug of the NGX, but rather something that could be expected on the real plane so the question becomes: What exactly happened here? Cheers :)

did you get a "Doors" warning on the F/O side?

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

This also happened to me. After checking the QRH which was saying something like if cabine pressure holds, continue normal operation I just departed (maybe not that realistic but I was curious to see what happened to the cabin pressure). But the caution lights went out after I took off. Daniel Verhaal

have you read the section on "doors" from the the DETAILS AND QUIRKS OF THE PMDG 737NGX in the intro document?

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

did you get a "Doors" warning on the F/O side?
I didn't know to look for one frankly, but I did get a Master Caution on the C/O side so there must have been.
have you read the section on "doors" from the the DETAILS AND QUIRKS OF THE PMDG 737NGX in the intro document?
As I've explained above this was not a transient warning as it failed to clear itself after several minutes. Nor do I think it was it the result of "faulty, cluttered or obstructed sensors" as I cycled the overwing exits a couple of times with no change.

I didn't know to look for one frankly, but I did get a Master Caution on the C/O side so there must have been. As I've explained above this was not a transient warning as it failed to clear itself after several minutes. Nor do I think it was it the result of "faulty, cluttered or obstructed sensors" as I cycled the overwing exits a couple of times with no change.
i've had a master caution and a 'doors' warning when engaging 40% N1 so aborted take-off. then cylced open/close all doors two times but without result either, only after moving the aircraft at taxi speed away from the runway the 'doors' warning disappeared after which i could depart. maybe it's related although i have not noticed anything on the overhead. I bet funny stuff happens in the real NG as well. The fact that this simulation produces stuff like this keeps you sharp and makes it exciting to perform a safe take-off, as long as you're willing to keep concentrated, i like that.

Antoine v Heck
---

No doubt it's things like this that set this simulation apart . Thought I would have preferred for this sort of behaviour to be tied to the failures systems, but that's just nitpicking.

Often happens but always goes off during taxi.

Ken Ehlers
F70

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg