Sign in to follow this  
Thunderbird8

What's the latest thinking regarding full screen v windowed mode?

I haven't seen any difference whatsoever, but i do think it varies from system to system. Also, I seem unable to get Vsync to work in windowed mode, so that's the main reason for me running fullscreen anyway.
Add this to the [graphics] section of fsx.cfg ForceFullScreenVSync=1ForceWindowedVSync=1 Works fine for me in window mode with vysnc forced on

I just love the unclutterd view, so it is full-screen for me. Anyway I have a second screen attached to the second DVI outlet from the card, and in full screen I can slide the pop-ups across to the second screen - CDU, ATC, throttle quadrant or whatever I need. It means they are not confined within a window so I don't have to look at them all the time while I fly, or switch views to the outside. With the second screen (easily setup in the nVidia control panel) my whole experience is made so much better.
That's weird, I have an NVIDIA with two DVIs but if I have my second screen attached and I go full screen on the main one, the second screen goes blank....

I was told a couple of years ago by a tech at our online FS group not to run FSX in full screen, but to size a window to just a millimetre or so smaller than full. Something to do with the way Windows runs things and allocates resources. At the time it seemed to improve FPS. Just wondered what people's take on this is nowadays in light of all the tweaks out there? I tested it the other day and it didn't appear to make much difference in the NGX.
Fullscreen all the way. Fullscreen is a lot smoother for me, plus I don't have the window borders which destroy immersion.

Dave P. Woycek

Add this to the [graphics] section of fsx.cfg ForceFullScreenVSync=1ForceWindowedVSync=1 Works fine for me in window mode with vysnc forced on
Thanks Graham, sure I've tried that but with no success. Maybe it was finger trouble and I should try again wink.png
That's weird, I have an NVIDIA with two DVIs but if I have my second screen attached and I go full screen on the main one, the second screen goes blank....
Sure, mine does the same. I think it is something to do with the graphics card setup, it's nothing to be too concerned with.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

If you run windowed mode you just have to make sure that nothing is overlaying the FS window. In Vista this can happen from the "globe" of the start button sitting on top of FSX, you have to pull the window up slightly to get it off of it. Shouldn't be a problem in XP or Win7, you can just maximize the window and it'll be fine. Also, do not run v-sync on in windowed mode, it isn't triple buffered like the full screen version is and you'll end up with the only possible framerates being the refresh rate divided by 2, 3, 4, etc. This can easily be the source of lower frames in windowed - if the system can't maintain 60FPS, the next one down is 30, then 15, then 7.5 etc.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I am always wary of mucking about with my graphics settings in Windows (Oh for the NGX/FSX to be on a Mac!!) as I'm not that confident in the windows environment, rat-infested pit that it is. Raised Eyebrow.gif I would love to be able to set it up to go full-screen on my main monitor but still allow me to run other things on my second...

There's just too many problems running two screens with full screen. The main problem is that alt-tabbing in and out of full-screen mode causes all kinds of problems. FS doesn't seem to like it and starts behaving erratically when I leave FS to mess with a utility and come back. Also, for me at least, my monitors are two different resolutions so trying to move a panel over from one screen to the other on full-screen mode causes the system to all but lock up while it resizes the panel... sometimes it takes 2-3 minutes for somethng like a full-screen overhead panel. And in full screen mode, the second monitor isn't "blank" ... it's just empty waiting for you to drag a view window or a panel over there, which you can do without undocking. So I fly in windowed mode, with my "second" monitor used for FS, and the built-in laptop screen for everything else. I keep the taskbar and everything off of the FS screen, and it works pretty well. With the taskbar on the other screen it's practically full screen anyway.

Also, do not run v-sync on in windowed mode, it isn't triple buffered like the full screen version is and you'll end up with the only possible framerates being the refresh rate divided by 2, 3, 4, etc. This can easily be the source of lower frames in windowed - if the system can't maintain 60FPS, the next one down is 30, then 15, then 7.5 etc.
I didn't know that. Right now, even on my two year old system, I'm getting between 15 to 25 fps. In other words it looks smooth so I am happy. That is running in windowed mode during flight. When I go to make a landing I switch to full screen or else I will drop down to between 8 to 15 frames which makes landing very tough. So what line are you saying I should change. The one in my FSX.cfg file that says "ForceFullScreenVSync=1"? I should change that to "0" and see how it works for my machine?

Edward Smoker Sr.

IAlso, do not run v-sync on in windowed mode, it isn't triple buffered like the full screen version is and you'll end up with the only possible framerates being the refresh rate divided by 2, 3, 4, etc. This can easily be the source of lower frames in windowed - if the system can't maintain 60FPS, the next one down is 30, then 15, then 7.5 etc.
Well that mystery is solved, thanks!

In a way I feel the NGX has lessened the issue, as it does seem to run similarly in each mode. Interesting debate though gents, thank you all.

Also, do not run v-sync on in windowed mode, it isn't triple buffered like the full screen version is and you'll end up with the only possible framerates being the refresh rate divided by 2, 3, 4, etc. This can easily be the source of lower frames in windowed - if the system can't maintain 60FPS, the next one down is 30, then 15, then 7.5 etc.
Ryan, are you saying for those that run in windowed mode should have the force vsync on in windowed mode in their fsx.cfg set to zero? I have noticed this issue with the frames that you speak of being divided. So if we set it to zero, we will regain those lost frames?

Eric 

Been looking across AVSIM and it seems people don't see any difference in the NGX. Interesting.
I see a lot of difference. Windowed performs way better than full screen. And is also more practical when doing other things beside flying.But:At takeoff, landing, taxiing and procedures, I always use full screen, since it's way more real. I have laptop for other programs.But at cruise, I don't stare at the screen waiting hours to pass.

I use full screen. The only way i can place the FMC on the second monitor.But since the NGX I can't use alt+enter anymore. That makes it difficult to use other FSX related programs.Eric

I use full screen. The only way i can place the FMC on the second monitor.But since the NGX I can't use alt+enter anymore. That makes it difficult to use other FSX related programs. Eric
You can undock it and move it over to the second screen from windowed mode...

Thunderbird: for dual screens do the following. Right-click on a clear part of your screen, click on nVidia control panel, then select "Set up multiple displays". You will then see two large menu boxes, the first requires you to check your two screens. The 1 & 2 screens are listed, just check them. Below you will see a big box in which two screens are shown as large rectangles with the numbers on them. You can move them to suit, but I have seen no need, and I make number 1 the main display. An asterisk appears on that one. All done, good. Now out of that, Start FSX as administrator, choose your flight, Fly Now, then go to full screen. The aircraft in whatever location you chose, comes up on the No 1, screen, your primary display. And yes the right screen is black. JOY, that's what you want. Now bring up your popups, ie for PMDG I only bring up the FMC - it is still easier to use on that screen - with your mouse grab it at the top and move it in the direction of the black screen and it slides all the way over like magic. Now bring up ATC grab it by the top bar and drag it over to the black screen. Resize and position as you want. SSSh for the iFly 6 and 700s I bring the throttle quadrant over, it makes starts that much easier. This means I fly with absolutely no pop-ups of any sort on the main screen, all I have is the aircraft - and on a 32" HD TV the flying is a joy. And for low level VFR it's great, as the GPS can sit on the other screen. I have more than PMDG tubes in my stable and this arrangement really adds to great flying with any aircraft you choose. For those with TH2G your three screens are still the No1, and you can put your popups on to the fourth screen. I did that for years and it is great.