Sign in to follow this  
ontheair

Intro manual error/misunderstanding

I note what seems to be an error in the intro manual of the 737 NGX page 56 : "The airplane cannot fly the localizer properly if the CRS knob is set incorrectly" IMHO, I think this is wrong ! As you all know, the ILS system, to make it very simple, is a frequency + a unique course and a slope (+ a slope interception altitude). Once the VHF NAV is set to the correct ILS frequency and the interception angle is consistent, you can select any course you want with the OBS, it will not change anything, the ILS will be intercepted. Who has never tried should ! I too was skeptical some time ago, but after trying I had to face the facts ! Of course, setting the course is always recommended because it gives a good visual indication of the interception angle, and I never fail to do so. But as for saying "The airplane cannot fly...........CRS knob is set incorrectly" is a misunderstanding of the principle of the ILS.

I don't think you are right about the CRS selector in the 737NG (the real plane). I remember reading a discussion on another forum between RW pilots, and the plane did not intercept and track the localizer correctly with an incorrect CRS set on the MCP. Don't confuse what you have learned in FSX with real-world knowledge.