Sign in to follow this  
misgav

Reinstalling fs2004 on new pc

I am getting an upgraded pc, with intent to reinstall fs2004 and dozens of addons.My os will be windows 7 32bit.I have read somewhere that a reinstall has to be in a certain order plus other tips like; Install fs2004 NOT in the default location but a newly created folder in like C:/FS2004 Disable antivirus during installation I have so many addons that I'm not sure what order to reinstall them- scenery first then aircraft?This what I have- not a full list. Ground Environment PROFS Genesis terrain meshUltimate Terrain EuropeVFR Photographoc Scenery UKReal GermanyNetherland 2000 VFR sceneryFrance VFR AlpsLots of airport addons PMDG 737PSS Airbus 3XX and Dash-8Flight1 ATR 72PSS B777LevelD 767 Others-ActiveSky 6.5Radar ContactREXFSCommander 8.6G MapSquawkboxUltimate TrafficFS2Crew for PMDG737, LevelD 767, and the F1 ATR 72 Any advice, based on real experience, is welcome. Eytan OrnsteinMy new specs Intel i5 CPU 2600 3.1GHZIntel Andrews lake B56 motherboardGeForce 9800GT(carried over from old pc)4GB DDR3SATA HD 1 TBWindoes 7 32 bit Home Premium650 Watt power supplySamsung Synchmaster 931bf 19" monitorMAG Proview Monitor 21"Thrustmaster T Flight X HOTASAny

If you have a home network, set things up so that the computers can see each other's disks. ("Share" the disks in Windows.) Then do the install of FS2004 in the default location on the new machine. I don't have the variety of updates you do, but I recently had my old machine go bad. Before it did, I managed to copy the Addon Scenery folder, the Aircraft folder, the scenery.cfg file, FSUIPC and my AFCAD and TTOOLS utility folders to a "safe house" on another computer in the house. After I bought a new screamin' machine, I loaded FS2004 and then just copied stuff back, overwriting the default folders and files. I should have copied the VoicePack file, too, but I was able to rebuild that easy enough with Editvoicepack. If you have any disks for drivers for things like your joystick, yoke and pedals, have those handy. It's going to be easier to re-install than to try to copy and restore those.

I have a writeup on this in the 'Windows 7 OS' forum here on Avsim. http://forum.avsim.n...indows-7-64bit/ I will say this, stay away form WIndows 7 32Bit... A 32Bit OS these days is old news and can't access much of what hardware is pushing out today plus with add-ons FS9 needs more than 2gigs of Ram to operate (you can read up on 32Bit versus 64Bit advantages to understand what I'm saying here). 7 32Bit is about the same as puting XP back on your system in the scope of advantages for running FS9... Every hardware change should advance our capabilities to run FS9 or anything else if we're going to shell out more money. OOM errors were a huge problem with XP32Bit and this is the same for 7 32Bit. With Windows 7 64Bit along with making the FS9.exe file 'Large Address Aware' prevents OOM errors as more memory is allocated to the application. Even for those running FSX OOM problems are a thing of the past along with a host of other issues. FS9 runs better in a 64Bit environment plus you have an upgrade path for your onboard memory and video card ram or should I say hardware overall. There's no upgrade path for a 32Bit OS as it's officially reached it's limit...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I second the above. If your getting a new rig for Fs2004 go with Windows 7, 64 bit. Why go backwards? I have a new Windows 7 64 bit system and it flys both FS2004 and FSX at 30 fps with NO OOM errors ! jerrycwo4 See my post uploaded today on the request of how to install this 4g patch.

Jeez guys, They started upgrading the pc today at the shop.I'd better phone them and tell them to stop and install windows 7 64 bit.Damn, I should have put up this post before upgrading! What I did save is all my sceneries in a special folder so the shop will copy it to the new pc.I was also using an external hd for sceneries so I'm covered there.I have all my addonn aircraft/sceneriy/utilities on the original cd's so reinstalling should be ok/ I'm stiil confused as to whether to install fs2004 (and later FSX) in a folder that I create or in c\program files. Eytan

Jeez guys, They started upgrading the pc today at the shop.I'd better phone them and tell them to stop and install windows 7 64 bit.Damn, I should have put up this post before upgrading! What I did save is all my sceneries in a special folder so the shop will copy it to the new pc.I was also using an external hd for sceneries so I'm covered there.I have all my addonn aircraft/sceneriy/utilities on the original cd's so reinstalling should be ok/ I'm stiil confused as to whether to install fs2004 (and later FSX) in a folder that I create or in c\program files. Eytan
In Windows 7 never install in 'Program Files' or 'Program Files x86'. Create a new folder (on a separate drive if possible) with whatever name you want and install there. Go read my writeup in the Windows 7 OS forum...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2