Sign in to follow this  
bluepilot76

changing default head position with Track IR

Hello All, First post..Sorry if this is really basic, I have been reading this forum all day and should really get to work but I cant find the answer I need, I am sure it is something really simple that doesnt even get discussed...Here goes... I happily used TrackIR with FS2004. I used the keys to put the pilots head position where I wanted, F12'd then was free to look around and fly as I would expect., really comfortable and easy. Something seems fundamentally different in FSX... I find that the simulator wants my head in a certain place and usually its not where I want it. I find I am fighting the default head position constantly and as a result I rapidly tired of FSX and put it away. Now with the new PMDG 737 simulation I want to get back into it and get it setup nicely. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? It seems like I need to map some keys but I cant find the right ones, or am I suppose to edit something in a cfg file or something?? I noticed with the Realair Duke that I had to cycle between different views like a sort of approach view, where the pilot almost has his chin on the coaming and its uncomfortable to see the instruments, or an Instrument view where you can hardly see the horizon. To me the whole point of TrackIR is that I dont want to have to cycle views. If I want to look somewhere I will look there and that will be all I need to do. What is going on with FSX and TrackIR? Please help!

I found myself in the exact same situation as you and I enquirred here at the forums. Nick from AOA suggested that I use EZDOK in order to change the viewpoint. It works quite nicely in tandom with eachother.

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Hi thanks for your help, I will look into that. So I take it they broke something in FSX which means we cant do it without external assistance?

Hi BluePilot: They didn't break anything - just changed how you adjust the eyepoint. It is different in FSX. TrackIR:With the IR device sitting on the top center of your monitor - your head in its most natural position for viewing (I usually look directly at the device), you simply move the camera to get the three green dots equally spaced around the center point of the "camera" (top-right corner) and press the "center" button on the keyboard. In my case I have the 'Scroll Lock' key mapped to 'center'. 'Pause' is mapped to the "\" key - which in turn is mapped to an assignable button on my Logitech mouse, with 'Precision' left as the default F7 key. When you exit TIR it will ask if you want to save this profile, and you just click 'yes'. I am using the 'smooth' profile - set as 'Exclusive'. My other suggestion is for you to learn how to use TIR completely before bringing in EZCA... EZCA will give you an even greater sense of "being there" when it's set up, BUT - not understanding TIR OR EZCA will drive you from the sim altogether.!!! If you are not completely comfortable with TIR, don't add a more difficult-to-learn program into the mix. There are dozens, if not hundreds of simmers who have dumped EZCA through being unable to understand how to set it up. The instructions are abysmal, written by someone whose first language is Russian, with better instruction coming from a few good users.So - give yourself and TIR a couple of months before adding EZCA. You will not regret it, as TIR gives you almost exactly the same viewing abilities as you have when in a r/w cockpit or flight deck.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi Paul J,Thanks for that, but I dont think I have a problem with Track IR, I have been a long time user; I had a TIR4 with the reflectors and now I have a TIR5 with the proclip, I havent flown a flight sim with out one for probably more than 5 years, loads of time on IL2, FS9, RoF, DCS Blackshark and DCS A10C. I do have the sensor pointing directly at my lights and have suitably mapped a key for center and pause. My problem is that my heads datum position within the cockpit is not necassarily where I want it, and I want to know how to change that. It was easily done in FS9, there was keys mappable for something like shift head position up/down/fwd/back/left/right. On a related note, in the introduction booklet to PMDG 737NGX there was something like use the mouse and the spacebar to make your viewpoint so that you can see the view outside and the base of the PFD. Made me think there might be something I could map? BTW I was amazed how simple TIR was to setup and worked right out of the box. Rare to find software or hardware working so brilliantly and intuitively.

Don't forget you have to reset your view once in a while... the camera's get a little screwy over time you just press your "center view" key to re-center.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

yes, I have no problem with Track IR. Re-centering the view in TrackIR does not change my virtual pilots datum head position...I dont know how I can explain my problem any more clearly than I have already lol!

I think you're looking for:- Down..........Shft-BkspcUp..............Shft-EnterForward.....Ctrl-BkspcBackward...Ctrl-EnterLeft............Ctrl-Shft-BkspcRight..........Ctrl-Shft-Enter To make a permanent change to an aircraft - through the aircraft.cfg - look for this line:- [Views]eyepoint= -0.4, 0, 1.90 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from the reference datum The three figures are:1). z-axis the higher the number - the closer the panel.2): lateral axis, the lower the number – the closer to the aircraft's center-line. 3). vertical axis, the lower the number – the lower the view.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Blue,If using the track clip be sure to move the camera a little left of center on the monitor; in other words, locate it directly in front of the track clip. Centering is just a matter of putting your head where you want it and pressing the center key. I've mapped the centering key to the spacebar so I put my head where I'm comfortable and press the space bar. If my view is a little high I move higher, press the space bar and then move back to my desired postion. Hope this helps.

AMD 3800X, Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT, AS Rock X570 Phantom Gaming 4, 32mb 3600 ram

in short: FSX "broke" TIR by forcing the user to use the view position defined in aircraft.cfg. In FS9, you can shift the view point (x,y,z) while TIR is active, but on FSX, once TIR is active, the view position uses the coordinate in aircraft.cfg. You can compensate by recentering with your head placed at a positioin opposit of where you want it to be, i.e., prior to landing, slightly translate your head low in the Z direction, then recenter TIR, then when your head is back to the neutral/normal position, you'll be placed slightly higher and looking over the panel glare shield. You can also play with the default view position in aircraft.cfg, since some airplanes place the view point at the wrong position. Cheesy but that's how it works with FSX.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

bluepilot76 ,I know exactly what you are talking about and I felt exactly the same way when I first started to play FSX with TIR. As stated in a previous post, the solution really is to buy EZCA from Flight1. This will solve your TIR issues and will give other great additional functionality like the ability to setup custom cameras anywhere you want them and cool dynamic camera movement while flying which enhances the feeling of really flying when in the VC. Its ability to quickly zoom in on sets of instruments and switches when you fly is indespensible I think. I don't think I would want to fly FSX without it now that I am used to it. It works great with TIR. One tip though, I had some problems getting it to play well with TIR until I figured out that I should run both TIR and EZCA 'as administrator'. Good luck!

I have a similar issue. I look at the center of the monitor and hit F12 to center the view. However when I'm flying I find that to look down at the instrument panel (particularly the light switches on the bottom of the Cessna 172 panel) I find myself with my chin almost on my chest with my eyes looking up. Very uncomfortable.Alan

I find myself with my chin almost on my chest with my eyes looking up.
..Then you're not adjusting the pitch curve, Alan. Make it more like a "U" or a "V" shape. This is something you can do by reducing the FSX window, and viewing the TIR screen at the same time. Same goes for the yaw axis.

Wow, been away from the internet today and blown away by all the replies, thanks for your help folks! Paul J the cfg mod is probably the one for me at the moment, I have only just discovered how easy it is to access the cfg file to make these mods and that its not that scarey! I saw the AOA video which utilised that EZCA thing, although I didnt know how he had done it. Certainly sounds like the business. Pity yet more money needs to be flown into the FSX pot but Im well down that slippery slope now!!

Just to add that I spent some time trying to solve this last night. I re-checked the key mapping options. When I try any of move headpoint up/down/left/right commands, you can see the pilots head trying to move, but it will rebound back to the default immediately. With Track IR I also tried all the old tricks about looking somewhere else before recentering, and also centering and then adjusting the sensor to trick the system. These work for a short time, but sooner or lator the head will jump back to the default position. It really is very annoying and very tiring. I can't believe what a poor job they made of this simulator! You can see when you try and remap the keys what a poor job was done. Its really dissapointing when we all spend so much on great addons to have to base them on such a mess. Oh despite my ealier confidence about finding the cfg files, I couldnt find the aircraft specific ones, can someone point me in the right direction please?Also,,, some of you seem to be able to recentre trackIR once in the aircraft. I cant do this. I have tried mapping my recentre key to something definately not used by the simulator. It seems that once the sim starts, all commands to TIR get blocked. I always use full screen, I imagine it is possible in windowed mode-is that how you are doing it?? I like full screen though...