Sign in to follow this  
bluepilot76

changing default head position with Track IR

BluepilotI run FSX full screen and I mapped the pause button to one of my GoFlight module buttons (went into TrackiR and mapped the pause to a key stroke and reproduced that in GF) and it works great (haven't mapped the center function yet). You should be able to map Pause and Center in TrackiR to keyboard keystrokes (make sure you save it -- I think that maybe you're not doing that).PaulJThanks for that tip. I was pulling up the TrackiR screen maximised to set center. I think I will map Center to a key stroke so I can do it from within FSX -- should be easier than looking at two windows.Alan

Hi Rebel,That seems like a good idea, but that Goflight stuff is Hardware isnt it?.I dont fancy getting onto that S-slope, next thing I will have have a 737 cockpit instead of a living room. GF would never allow it.I suppose it should work with a joystick button though...I tried it on my middle mouse button and didnt seem to work...but maybe FSX is demanding something else from my M mouse button that is not shown in the key commands page. Quite a lot of functions seem to be missing from that page, well I couldnt find them anyway. Otherwise Im still hoping someone can tell me where to find a specific aircraft cfg file? I probably will get that EZCA software, just not sure I can make a big download for a few weeks, restricted internet bandwidth at work.

Hi, I don't know if this tip will help your situation or not but one thing I have done which greatly helped me is I set TrackIR's center button to the same button combination as the FSX center viewpoint (CTRL-SPACE). This way, I set my head and eyes at my natural center looking comfortable position and hit Control+Space and everything is nicely centered. With some planes, I will adjust my head a bit off-center first. For example, I like to see more of the gauges so I'll generally put my head a bit higher and closer to the screen than my natural sitting position, hit Control+Space and then when my head goes back I have a perfect viewing position.

Hi Timmer,Thanks I will try that. My default centering button is F12, and even if I turn that off in the key mapping section of FSX it doesnt seem to work, but its a good idea to try CTRL-SPACE. On a related note I see that EZCA is only 6mb or something so it will be no problem for me to download anyway.

Otherwise Im still hoping someone can tell me where to find a specific aircraft cfg file?
I think that you'll find it in the actual aircraft folder, Open it in notepad , but it isnt anything to do with your trackir pronlem

OK thanks Forties. It will help because I can put the default head position where I want it to be since you cannot do that within FSX if you use TrackIR. I tried mapping my centering button in TIR to ctrlspace as suggested. Its not working for me. FSX does not let me instruct TIR at all once in the cockpit, although the TIR itself works perfectly. It seems that FSX insists that you use a certain head position if you are going to use TIR.

Are you saying you can't use the custom TIR command keys once in FSX? Check that the center key setting in the TIR configuration has "Enable" checked and "Trap" unchecked. Also, double-check that it's using that profile while in FSX (TIR has a nasty habit of forgetting settings and profiles for me).

Easiest way to do it is to exaggerate your head position when centering to get the desired effect.For example, if I want my center view to be a little higher for a landing I'll dip my neck a little, center with f12, and then when my head is back to it's normal rest position my view is a little higher.

Yes Timmer, that is correct. I set it up on the desktop before entering FSX. Actually I think I can still set it up when at the welcome screen as well. But once I get into the cockpit it will not let me centre, pause or precision. I know my profile is working.. I am using the "Seth flight" one now, a few days ago I was experimenting with my own curves, anyway it is very apparent to me that the desired profile has made it into the sim., just I have no control over those 3 functions. I set it to exclusive to make sure it is locked in place. I dont know about that trap funciton, I will investigate that.It sounds like I am the only one with this problem! I just assumed it was something specific to FSX. It would certainly solve all my problems if I could use any of the normal recentering tricks to get it just right! I will have a careful look at those settings within TIR.

Bluepilot S! Your problem must be in your settings, In your FSX Controls settings in Keys and buttons for your joystick try putting F9 to " Virtual Cockpit (shortcut)" and F12 to "View Camera4 (select)" Then use those (F9 and F12 ) as the Trackir Hotkeys - They are the defaults in Trackir as you may know. It's what I use and mine is fine on pause and centering. PS = Is your joystick a Saiteck X52 ~?

I would suggest 25 posts surely demands a post on the Natural Point site, or even a call to Vince, no?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

...It sounds like I am the only one with this problems. I just assumed it was something specific to FSX. It would certainly solve all my problems if I could use any of the normal recentering tricks to get it just right. I will have a careful look at those settings within TIR.
FWIW, I've never had a problem getting TIR to work smoothly with any FSX aircraft. And I have full functionality while in the aircraft. While I use a custom profile that I made for another sim (years ago), that would have no effect on things like th re-centering, etc. The one thing you do have to watch out for is that any FSX key commands you might normally use while in the cockpit don't coincide with TIR key commands. :)Depending on the aircraft, I might need to adjust my viewpoint by leaning back if too far forward in the cockpit before recentering, etc. Most times, I don't bother centering TIR until I'm in the cockpit and, then, simply hit the recenter key command. For that reason, changing the aircraft.cfg (that's the file you're looking for, BTW, in each aircraft's folder) has always seemd like more trouble than it was worth.Rich

OK now I think we are getting somewhere! Forties; thanks I will try that tonight. No my joystick is a thrustmaster T16000m or something like that, I forget the exact name. It has plenty of buttons though. Paul J; ALthough it would be good to see natural point on here, I am sure its not a problem with TrackIR and seems more likely with FSX. Obviously FSX are not going to be much help to me! As has been suggested I think the solution must be somewhere in finding a key that FSX will allow me to communicate with TIR. I am going to try those ones that Forties has suggested. I tried CTRLSPACE and that didnt work for me, First I am going to try and map it to one of the buttons on my joystick. If all else fails I am going to buy EZCA. Now that I know it is possible to use the TIR recentering trick when FSX is running (or should be anyway) I will hold off from meddling with my cfg files.

Not talking about Natural Point coming into this post - I'm talking about you posting on their site, and using their expertise instead of our guessing game. This is something you have done - or have not done, and they will be able to have you run through a series of tests to find out why you're having this trouble.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi Paul, sorry I misread your post ...side for site...I did think it was a strange thing to say! Anyway before I disturb the peace over there I need to try some of the other suggestions. I am working 12 hour shifts so havent made it back into FSX to try todays batch of ideas.