Sign in to follow this  
rayharris51

PMDG NG Next Gen?

Hi Just wondered whether PMDG aren't missing a trick? iFly have come out with their state-of-the-art 737 for FS9 & FSX. PMDG have left all us FS9 users behind. Yet the 737NG is still a cracking plane and has a fair number of faithful users. Having upgraded the sounds myself and given it shockwave lights, I still prefer it to the iFly (look and feel) and I do not see why I should have to buy an iFly 737, when I have a perfectly good 737, which works remarkably well, all bar some cosmetic improvements. The systems on both planes do still compare remarkably well, not withstanding some added subtlety in the iFly. I know that I'd be prepared to spend up to say $20 on a minor cosmetic upgrade to the current NG - with say a better 3D cockpit, with real knobs and dials and few other bits and bobs. We don't need a major rebuild. They upgrade 737s in the real world after all.... What about it Captain (please)? rayharris51 ....still using a dual core E6850, XP SP3, 4Gb Crucial Ballistix 800 RAM, nVidia GTS250. FSX Acc, FS9.1, more add-ons than I dare admit which still runs remarkably well for its age, thanks to all the tweaks. But prob wouldn't run the NGX anywhere sensible at acceptable FPS

There really was only one basic upgrade to the NG series. If you had the 600/700 then you had to purchase the 800/900 plus service packs applied to update the 600/700 as a retro fit to enable added features. I found out before purchase (way back) that the 600/700 did not have a working TCAS function on the ND unless you had the 800/900 to retrofit the panels in the 600/700. At the time I decided not having good download access to purchase the two CD sets from Aerosoft even though the Aerosoft 800/900 was a standalone product. PMDG has already explained that they will not use any more resources (development time) for FS9 - period. It is a limited number of designers and they believe that FSX offers more realistic models for performance and operations. Something like that. I could not find the thread. It used to be pinned and locked. Microsoft is even using its influence to downplay FS9. If you go to Microsoft downloads and use their Bing search engine searching for FS9 SDK it will not find it. I used Yahoo and it quickly took me to a KB link that found it on the MS download site. Get the idea? The Bing did find on an FS2004 search the 9.1 upgrade and returned zilch on a search for FS9. That being said, for my purposes, the 737NGs have enough realism for the flying experience, and maybe the FS9 model restrictions are too much to deal with. Don't forget they had to operate outside of the FS9 SDK standards to achieve the realism level they have now and that is a tremendous workload. FSX gives them more flexibility. In the general forum read the pinned thread on the 737NGX platform. It is a stepped platform as before requiring different products. If the market can bear it that's the way it will go.

If you look in the General forum, you'll find the answer to your request from the source you're asking:Simply? No. http://forum.avsim.n...opment-21jan10/
Hi, Thanks. Appreciate Robert's comments and I am well aware of them. My request was not for a brand new FS2004 NGX, I know that is impossible and it is not in any case needed. Nor do I dispute that the market for FS2004 in general is a diminishing one. However, iFly must have done the sums too, and there is no evidence from their marketing strategy that they believe that the FS9 737 user base is a dead duck commercially, neither it seems, does REX which has considerably upgraded the FS9 environment, especially for those of us with older machines. All I was asking for was little more than a cosmetic upgrade, a better 3D cockpit for example. This is something that will impact on the potential iFly 737 market for FS9 and keep us faithful PMDG customers in the fold. If this proves to be uneconomical for PMDG, and frankly I did not expect the answer to be yes, then I entirely understand. However, I do not quite follow the PMDG reasoning from 2010, with regard to its FS9 user base for its 737s. ray