Sign in to follow this  
martinboehme

Using separate throttles with the 737NGX

I'm using a CH products throttle quadrant with the 737NGX, and I'm having a bit of trouble setting the 737NGX up to work correctly with separate throttles (i.e. "throttle 1" and "throttle 2"). It mostly works, but the "cyan arc" feature does not work correctly, and sometimes moving the throttle causes the autothrottle to disconnect even though I have "A/T manual override" set to "NEVER". Is this a known problem, or have others managed to get this to work correctly? There seems to be nothing in the documentation on this, and a search on the forum has turned up nothing either. To make sure there's nothing else wrong with my setup that is contributing to this, I've done a few tests. If I use a single hardware axis to control the global "throttle" setting, then everything works as expected. This is true both when I assign the throttle axis in FSX and when I assign it via FSUIPC. If I use two hardware axes to control the "throttle 1" and "throttle 2" settings, I observe the following behaviour. When the autothrottle is active, moving the hardware throttles changes not the cyan arc (as would be the case with a single "global" throttle) but the white arc, leading to a corresponding change in engine RPM (note "A/T manual override" is set to "NEVER"). If I move the hardware throttles too far, the autothrottle will even disconnect. Again, the behaviour is the same no matter whether I assign the axes directly via FSX or via FSUIPC. Does anyone have any insights into this? Thanks! Martin Boehme

I have this same problem, have you managed to solve it yet? Let me know if you have found solution, thanks. -Tapio Leppäkoski

i have this problem also and have reverted back to using FSX to control the throttles, works well but i miss the reverse thrust detent, i have a button on the quadrant that i use for reverse thrust, since i have removed the throttle calibration from fsuipc i have not had one power or one auto throttle disconnect Wayne

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

Ok, this is what helped me. Throw away the FSUIPC4.ini from the Modules folder, because thats probably causing this. Start FSX and assign the Throttle axis through FSX controls menu. Then you can assign everything else through FSUIPC again :) It then should work.

Try to avoid calibrating through FSUIPC.

Problem for me is that I NEED to calibrate the throttles through FSUIPC since I fly airplanes with different engine configurations. In FSUIPC you can assign a certain axis setup to a certain airplane, which is of course impossible to do from within FSX (and I have never understood which they have omitted this possibility). I use a Saitek Yoke system with the extra quadrant, so have the first axis assigned to speedbrake, the next two to throttles, the two after that to reverse and then finally of course to flaps. It's a perfect setup if it only worked properly! :D

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

It does sound very well thought out. I'm not sure how you can work around this

I'm using a CH products throttle quadrant with the 737NGX, and I'm having a bit of trouble setting the 737NGX up to work correctly with separate throttles (i.e. "throttle 1" and "throttle 2"). It mostly works, but the "cyan arc" feature does not work correctly, and sometimes moving the throttle causes the autothrottle to disconnect even though I have "A/T manual override" set to "NEVER". Is this a known problem, or have others managed to get this to work correctly? There seems to be nothing in the documentation on this, and a search on the forum has turned up nothing either. To make sure there's nothing else wrong with my setup that is contributing to this, I've done a few tests. If I use a single hardware axis to control the global "throttle" setting, then everything works as expected. This is true both when I assign the throttle axis in FSX and when I assign it via FSUIPC. If I use two hardware axes to control the "throttle 1" and "throttle 2" settings, I observe the following behaviour. When the autothrottle is active, moving the hardware throttles changes not the cyan arc (as would be the case with a single "global" throttle) but the white arc, leading to a corresponding change in engine RPM (note "A/T manual override" is set to "NEVER"). If I move the hardware throttles too far, the autothrottle will even disconnect. Again, the behaviour is the same no matter whether I assign the axes directly via FSX or via FSUIPC. Does anyone have any insights into this? Thanks! Martin Boehme
I also use the CH throttle quadrant and FSUIPC. What I did is the following: 1. Do a clean calibration of the hardware through Windows (I don't run any CH software)2. Use FSUIPC profiles3. For the profile you created for the PMDG NGX, assign throttle1/throttle2 axis in FSUIPC, but check "send to FS as normal axis" (don't remember the exact wording, but you'll find it) for each axis on the axis assignment screen4. Reset any axis calibration data you might have in FSUIPC for the axis in question This will send the axis directly to FS as if FSUIPC were not there. It will allow you to go on using FSUIPC for calibration for any other aircraft you have. I have the set in the NGX that manual throttle action does not override AT, and that the cyan thrust lever position shall be displayed.Works without problems for me. As for the reversers, I assigned the two buttons right below my throttle-assigned levers to act as follows (via FSUIPC):button hold down -> keep sending "throttle n decrease" commandbutton release -> throttle n idle

Dave P. Woycek

i have about 10 different hardware profiles for different hardware setups, batch files that swap out the applicable files such as fsx.cfg, fsuipc.ini etc, initially a bit of setup work but awesome once done Wayne

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

I just live with the interference between my CH throttles and the NGX. On a takeoff with autothrottles I push them forward, then press TO/GA and just leave them where they are. At TOD I pull them back at the same time the autothrottles retard. On approach I take over the throttles early enough that any temporary loss of power doesn't matter. The advantage of having them calibrated through FSUIPC is that I can set them up to give Idle reverse by pulling the levers back a little, and full reverse by taking them further back. Works very nicely.

I have the throttles calibrated through FSUIPC so as to not lose reversers below the detent on my CH Throttle Quadrant. When I get home from work, I can post steps I took for this if anyone's interested. So far, it's worked fine with the NGX but I make no promises. Any interest? -stefan Edit: I also do the same thing as the guy above me who posted while I was posting - idle reverse and full reverse are nice.

yes i do miss that i will probably go back to fsuipc Wayne

Wayne such

I've had so many problems with FSUIPC. Currently I map my controls (I have the yoke, quad throttles and pedals from CH) via the CH controls manager, then assign it through FSX. I gave up trying to tie up the indents so that I get rev thrust...so I just use F2. I'd rather spend more time flying that mucking around with software.

I've had so many problems with FSUIPC. Currently I map my controls (I have the yoke, quad throttles and pedals from CH) via the CH controls manager, then assign it through FSX. I gave up trying to tie up the indents so that I get rev thrust...so I just use F2. I'd rather spend more time flying that mucking around with software.
When I fly the PMDG747 (in FS9 but that shouldn't matter), I always assign the detent on the four throttle axis to reverse using FSUIPC. I also did it with the CH Products extra throttle unit I had earlier, but the button was always flipping back and forth between the two states (which is one reason why I switched all my stuff to Saitek instead). Anyway, what you do in FSUIPC is to assign "decrease thrust" to the button (on the button page in FSUIPC) you want to use it with and make sure you have a checkbox where it says something like "keep doing this as long as the button is pressed" and then for the option "when the button is released" you assign it to "idle thrust". That always works for me! But having a axis for each reverse thrust is much much cooler! :D

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Try to avoid calibrating through FSUIPC.
That's what I did and this was the only way so far.

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO