Sign in to follow this  
jerryuscg

Large Address Aware 4 Gig patch... better instructions ?

Last week someone put up the link for the "Large Address Aware" 4G patch to fix the FS2004 OOM errors. Luckly my newest flight sim computer from Jetline Computers has this patch on it and it WORKS ! I'm thinking about the future when I buy my next flight sim computer. I do not know what Jetline did to install this patch and I want to know for myself. The "instructions" for the installation of the 4 G patch is too sparse for me to understand. Will someone who knows how to install this patch for FS2004 please give me specific instructions on how to "install" the patch to FS2004. Thanks jerrycwo4

There is an executable that you download and run. You point it to your fs9.exe and run it. It will add the flag for you and backup your old file.It really is that simple :)-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

"You point it to your fs9.exe " I guess that this is the part that I don't understand? Not ever installing this patch I dont know how to do this. Please explain better. Thanks jerrycwo4

Hey Jerry,Same concept as uploading an attachment to an email... Download this file and run it. http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php it will open the windows explorer window as though you were browsing for a file to upload to an email. Browse to your fs9.exe file and select it and hit ok. The 4GB Patch program will do the rest and you are done. All you have to do is browse to your fs9.exe in your root FS9 directory highlight it and hit ok.Very easy.-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Thanks Paul. That's what I needed. This patch is too important to "guess" how to do it. Now that this patch is installed, (I didn't install it; a person at Jetline Computers did) what did it change to my computer so that I can look and "prove" to myself that this patch has been installed? What's differant on my computer that I can see after the patch has been installed? Does it show changes to a file or folder or does a date or something else change? Thanks jerrycwo4

Thanks Paul. That's what I needed. This patch is too important to "guess" how to do it. Now that this patch is installed, (I didn't install it; a person at Jetline Computers did) what did it change to my computer so that I can look and "prove" to myself that this patch has been installed? What's differant on my computer that I can see after the patch has been installed? Does it show changes to a file or folder or does a date or something else change? Thanks jerrycwo4
What you will find is FS9 will not crash with OOM errors anymore, period. No matter the load you place on FS9 it will run stable. On my system FS9 is a heck of allot smoother with loading updated weather and textures as I fly along. I can now fly from KJFK to Heathrow or Gatwick without an OOM issue on short final. This wasn't possible with XP or 7 before the patch. I'm glade I don't have to install that dreaded /3gig switch in the boot.ini file as that never worked for me. Under 7 just making 'FS9.exe' Large Address Aware and that's it. I don't know what smoking gun your looking for, all this is pretty straight forward... wink.png

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

You might see the 'last modified' date change... The 'patch' only changes 1 bit in the file from 0 to 1; there is no change in file size. DJ

Just patched my FS9.exe. Will I have any benefits with only 4 GB RAM?
Yep... I only have 4gig's RAM and it's a big difference especially when flying into the New York area....

FS2020 

forgive my ignorance, but is this patch only for 64 bit machines?
No, it is also of use on 32bit systems but needs a little additional work to be useful - in WinXP the boot.ini needs modification and in Win7/Vista you may need a bit more. DJ

forgive my ignorance, but is this patch only for 64 bit machines?
The short answer is 'YES' this should only be tried on 64Bit machines... To better explain this I wouldn't say this works on 32Bit machines because this truly is a crap shoot as to how much video RAM and machine RAM your computer has (either way mileage may vary where as what we're saying here on a 64Bit machine is a guarantee for everyone). In the confines of 32Bit the less memory you have the better because the OS will not use the combined memory of your onboard RAM with your video RAM without swapping things and don't think about a memory upgrade because the limit is 4gigs but you never see 4gigs in use for your programs. The benefit of making the FS9 'Large Address Aware' on a 32Bit machine is negligible at best with some users having more of a problem than before. From my experience the 'Boot.ini' mod 3gig patch combined with what we've mentioned here in XP 32Bit is a 'NO GO' period. It's one of those tweaks that some say worked but FS9 ran weird on my machine after trying it to a point I removed the mod. It wasn't until I got Window 7 64Bit that I truly saw what my machine was capable of. If you have a 32Bit OS the best thing you can do to get to the next level of performance with FS9 (or FSX) is to go 64Bit, there's no way around it...

FS2020 

Well, after I patched my FS9.exe with the 4GB patch, FS didn´t respond when loading a flight. Reverted back to the old one and everything is now all right again.

Well, after I patched my FS9.exe with the 4GB patch, FS didn´t respond when loading a flight. Reverted back to the old one and everything is now all right again.
I would try and see what's going on because your one out of 99% that have had success with this in Windows 7 64Bit including myself...

FS2020 

HiSmall note.If You have serious problem with fs9 like memory leak or equivalent, the 4gb patch will only delayed CTD.It won't crash with short flight (probably) but at the end at long flight You will get CTD.So the goal is to solve possible mem leak problem.After applying 4gb patch (before on XP64 bit) I solve the problem with OOM message but I get g3d.dll crash.On new rig with W7 64 bit I didn't apply 4gb patch and I don't have any kind of CTD (hopefully) because there is no mem leak. I'm thinking what to put in fs9 ;-)Regards Edin