Sign in to follow this  
jerryuscg

Large Address Aware 4 Gig patch... better instructions ?

I would try and see what's going on because your one out of 99% that have had success with this in Windows 7 64Bit including myself...
Would do you mean with "try and see"? I tried several times to start a flight with different sceneries and planes but it got stuck in the loading screen. Windows showed the famouse blue circle and it didn´t load anything. Checked it via the taskmanager and it showed me that FS9 doesn´t respond any more. Used the old one and it worked as a charm.Btw. yesterday was the first time I ever saw FS9 using more that 1 GB RAM.

Btw. yesterday was the first time I ever saw FS9 using more that 1 GB RAM.
You must not fly into KEWR (Imaginsim's version) or KLGA that much. Dusk flying into NYC with full AI and add-on scenery takes allot of memory. OOM's flying into this area are a thing of the past for me now. Anyway what I meant with 'try and see' is you have something going on on your machine that's unique. To settle for having FS9 run in a 64Bit environment only able to access 2gigs of ram is crazy. You need to find out why FS9 is not loading up when you apply the patch so you can fully take advantage of your hardware. Now if you want to stay stuck at 2gigs of resources like you had in XP 32Bit I won't argue with you, to each his own as they say...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

The short answer is 'YES' this should only be tried on 64Bit machines... To better explain this I wouldn't say this works on 32Bit machines because this truly is a crap shoot as to how much video RAM and machine RAM your computer has (either way mileage may vary where as what we're saying here on a 64Bit machine is a guarantee for everyone). In the confines of 32Bit the less memory you have the better because the OS will not use the combined memory of your onboard RAM with your video RAM without swapping things and don't think about a memory upgrade because the limit is 4gigs but you never see 4gigs in use for your programs. The benefit of making the FS9 'Large Address Aware' on a 32Bit machine is negligible at best with some users having more of a problem than before. From my experience the 'Boot.ini' mod 3gig patch combined with what we've mentioned here in XP 32Bit is a 'NO GO' period. It's one of those tweaks that some say worked but FS9 ran weird on my machine after trying it to a point I removed the mod. It wasn't until I got Window 7 64Bit that I truly saw what my machine was capable of. If you have a 32Bit OS the best thing you can do to get to the next level of performance with FS9 (or FSX) is to go 64Bit, there's no way around it...
Thanks for you answer. I'll leave well enough alone. :-)

Even after all of this "fixing" I'm still a little afraid to try to reinstall Ultimate Terrain (UT) USA. I've had it before and I think that is were my 1st OOM crash occured. Are any of you guys above in this post flying FS2004 with UT USA installed and NOT having any OOM problems ? You opinion please. Even after applying the 4 gig patch to my FS2004 Windows 7 (64 bit)computer should I still try to find and fix my memory leaks that I think that I still have?(even tho I am not having OOM problems at this time). What do I look for besides "empy" scenery folders? Thanks jerrycwo4

If you have a memory leak that's an issue that has to be researched and found as the leak with enough time will affect any machine no matter how much ram you have. As far as Flight1's Ultimate Terrain is concerned I am almost certain your OOM problems are solved. If your not having any issue now I'm almost certain you won't have any issue installing this one add-on. smile.png

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I'm sorry guys but my last question did not get answered. Besides for looking for empty scenery files, what else causes OOM's? Thanks jerrycwo4

I'm sorry guys but my last question did not get answered. Besides for looking for empty scenery files, what else causes OOM's? Thanks jerrycwo4
Jerry, 1. Empty scenery files aren't the problem - empty texture folders paired with scenery folders are.2. OOM's are generally caused by running too many highly complex add-ons in a very limited area.3. It is possible, but not easy, to get OOM's with a patched FS9.1 under Win7 x64 - the folks who get them are generally guilty of condition 2., above. The bottom line is that you only need to worry about them if they happen. In the meantime, just relax and enjoy. You will not get an OOM with UT USA, Europe, or whatever with the system you have set up. DJ