Sign in to follow this  
nrcrate

Autoland "RETARD" Bug

Hey all, This may or may not be a bug, but it sure is annoying to me and I can't see why it would do this. I have my aircraft set up for a full autoland with rollout... When I get the "RETARD" annunciation just before touchdown and the AT brings the throttle back, I've noticed that it brings it back to flight idle, and not full idle. For example, I just landed at KORF and before landing when "RETARD" illuminated, it went back to flight idle. This does not seem to happen all the time though... I have a key on my flight stick mapped to hold F2 when I press it in and press F1 after I release it. It seemed to take an extremely long time to go from AT flight idle to full idle and then reverse thrust... I should not have to pull it back manually from flight idle to full idle, should I? In the end, I did not get reverse until 65 knots, which by then there is no point. This does not seem like normal behavior to me; but if it is, please enlighten me! Idea.gif P.S.- She autolands beautifully! One of the best I've seen!

Edited by NickC

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

Mine does this to, I read in another post it is because of having your throttle axis mapped through FSUIPC, and not through by the native software for your unit. Although mine is not assigned via FSUIPC it still does it.

Yes I seem to have a similar situation often also - even manual landing with A/T initially on. I fly the approach manualy with A/T engaged - about 50ft click the soft a/t disengage button - pull my throrttles to idle (also tried mapping button on throttles so if all way back it presses F1) touchdown - and then try to engage reverse - they dont - throttles to idle again and eventually can get reverse to kick in but like the OP almost pointless at that point or if heavy too late at that point! I did some testing on the ground pushing my throttles forward - spooling engines up then back to idle on the throttle while engine rpm still high and then select reverse and it works fine with how my joystick/buttons are set up the reverse will engage. Just seems to be a problem when touching down - seems like I cant manually reduce thrust below flight idle even though the a/t is now disengaged. Anyone else find reverse dificult to engage at touchdown?ive tried both with FSUPIC enabled and with Direct FSX mapping(with all enteries in FSUPIC deleted) and pretty much same issue - in fact more likely to get reverse activated when they through FSUPIC than when to FSX direct

...ive tried both with FSUPIC enabled and with Direct FSX mapping(with all enteries in FSUPIC deleted) and pretty much same issue - in fact more likely to get reverse activated when they through FSUPIC than when to FSX direct
I experience the exact same thing!

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

I asked this a while ago. It is normal behavior; it is known as approach idle.
So it doesn't allow full idle on touchdown? This is what sees to be hindering us from going into reverse quickly. Edited by NickC

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

So it doesn't allow full idle on touchdown? This is what sees to be hindering us from going into reverse quickly.
Correct. As for the not getting into reverse quickly, I use f2 and it goes into reverse instantaneously.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

Correct. As for the not getting into reverse quickly, I use f2 and it goes into reverse instantaneously.
Hmmm, this is extremely odd. Then how is there a difference with a button programmed to hold F2 while held and F1 when released? Edited by NickC

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

Hmmm, this is extremely odd. Then how is there a difference with a button programmed to hold F2 while held and F1 when released?
I can't quite comprehend what you mean. Have you tried pressing the button multiple times? I probably press f2 more than once when activating reversers without even noticing it probably, but they do come on instantly.

Alfredo Terrero

I can't quite comprehend what you mean. Have you tried pressing the button multiple times? I probably press f2 more than once when activating reversers without even noticing it probably, but they do come on instantly.
Ok, I have a button on my flight stick that is supposed to hold​ F2 when I hold the button in, and then press F1 when I release the button. I think maybe the NGX is not retarding at the right time. Now that I think of it, it's not at idle when I hit the ground. Maybe it's not that it's at flight idle, but rather that it's not going into idle at the right time to be in idle after the nose lowers... I'm going to go do some circuits and see what I find out.

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

Ok, I have a button on my flight stick that is supposed to hold​ F2 when I hold the button in, and then press F1 when I release the button. I think maybe the NGX is not retarding at the right time. Now that I think of it, it's not at idle when I hit the ground. Maybe it's not that it's at flight idle, but rather that it's not going into idle at the right time to be in idle after the nose lowers... I'm going to go do some circuits and see what I find out.
I'm not flying now but I'm pretty sure ground idle activates as soon as you touchdown (I've accidentally pressed f1 sometimes and get ground idle thrust).

Alfredo Terrero

I've found the EECs increases thrust (e.g. on selection of flaps or gear) but it will not reduce it again if the condition that demanded the increase is removed again (e.g. gear up). I'm not sure if this is by design though - I have not scrutinized the FCOM yet. It may even require the maintenance manual to resolve. Best regards,Robin.